JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So a bit more serious of a topic then boolit size...

What is your hand grip on your simi or revolver and why?

Have you changed it at all due to training or self taught yourself and found a better way then you learned?

I watch my share of YouTube vids and have seen hours of how to hold a pistol that is different then the way I was taught (by my grandfather who's only training to my knowledge was a stint in the Navy) and still shoot that way.

Tea Cup is what it's called I guess? Just watched a YM video that made a lot of sense to me about how the basics are still the basics and that's what got me to thinking about it and was curious how others have adapted or not to the new grips they are teaching?

I find I can shoot unsupported with either hand and do not have to make adjustments other then fatigue sets in faster.

I guess I should say I'm just shy of ambidextrous in my eyes and hands so I shoot mainly right handed but practice left handed a lot and shoot better groups often (I think because I have to think harder about what I am doing).

In fact, it was only this last year that when everyone talked about shooting "off hand", my assumption was that they were shooting with thier non dominant hand, which speaks to my level of formal training I suppose or lack of Intrest to go look it up lol:D:oops:.

Oh, and I did learn how to safely grip a revolver from YouTube before taking the first one I ever bought out for a test drive so I did learn something

Two thumbs forward....

Rifle I don't go over the top with support hand I cradle with bent elbow. I also with rifle ha be my thumb above the trigger guard... It doesn't wrap around the stock.

I practice with both hands supported and unsupported with pistol.

Watch how Jerry Miculek does it.

I was shooting my service pistol, back in the day, in much the same manner, self-taught, although somewhat slower, natch, throughout the late sixties and into the nineties. However, I was excluded from all competitive pistol shooting within my own organisation in Germany after winning the annual CO's cup six times in a row by a margin of around forty per cent. :)

After that I used to take folks out to the range for fun shoots, to get them 'improved', and THEY used to win for me.

It helped that I'd been shooting handguns since the age of six. Illegally, of course, and in a country - not England - where there were allegedly no privately-owned handguns of any kind.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

tac

PS - I'm totally ambidextrous - that helps, bleeve me.

If your looking for another fun shoot when your back state side let me know! I could use some positive improvement;).

As I noted, watch the Master and learn. There is nobody like him that's for sure.

As for your invitement, I'm more than happy to tag along with anybody who is keen to learn something that may improve his or her shooting, although I'm VERY surprised to hear that from an American!

Last time I was over at Clark Rifles WA a guy there, dressed up like an advert for Tacticool Clothing.com, proved to me that there is hope for everybody. He began by shooting around fifty shots at an FBI-type target at 20 yards, and missed with every single one - he was doing EVERYTHING wrong that you could imagine. I asked my mentor there if I could take him aside for a few minutes on a quiet part of the range where we could safely point and squeeze, and half an hour later every shot was on the target because he did something that not a lot of folks do - he listened to what was said, and did it.

If you are prepared to listen to a guy who lives in a country where REAL handguns are prohibited, then I'm happy to tag along and pass on what I know.

tac

I never think I know it all and am always looking to learn anything - I am generally a great student.

I will put in some miculek video time - unfortunately my wife's dog HATES shot timers and he ALWAYS uses one so after about 3 min into the video I have a dog shaking herself to death at my feet. Looks like I'll need to watch it from a laptop with headphones on.

Just because they were taught that way, doesn't make it best.

One hand on the 1911, may work for bulls-eye competition, but is that the best for "combat" ? I'd say no, as the competition folks have shown/proven. But that was standard until Col.Cooper and others.

id_pistol_m1911_700_06.jpg

Another example - The horse soldiers - Calvary and those you would list as logistics support today - were taught to post up. Looking at their skeletons, all of them had broken backs. They were made to ride that way because someone thought it looked pretty. Didn't make it the best way.

When I shoot, I try to always switch to my off-hand for practice. I don't practice one-handed near enough. But if you need the skill, better to have practiced it before.

In one training session I took, the tacti-trainer told me not to switch hands, I could drop the gun. Well, in competition, if you drop the gun you will be DQd, and I practice that so it will not happen. In SHTF, drop your weapon you'll be dead.

Example: When I shoot steel, you get 5 strings of fire / stage. (typically) I shoot with both ands on the pistol, dominant hand on the trigger for 4 of them. For the fifth, I have my non-dominant hand on the trigger. I suppose I could shoot some strings one-handed ... maybe I'll try that in the future. Maybe on practice days. I do not expect to win the competition.

wwi_training.jpg

So why even bother to shoot one-handed? You could be injured. You could have to carry something / drag someone. You might be on the phone. You might be fighting off the bad actor.

Boy I don't know,Jerry brings the gun up to eye level.
Just not the same as all the tacticool guys who tuck their head down to shoulder height

Tucking your head down to the gun leads to dropping the gun which leads to tucking the head which leads to....you get the idea.

I practice almost every day, both hands, with my now-deactivated S&W Model 686 Target Trophy with the three position foresight and Wilson trigger job. It's fun to see how near I can get to Mr Miculek and his amazing talent.

...and that, friends, is nowhere near.

If anybody wants to see what a hoplophobic government does to its law-abiding citizens to 'take guns off the streets' I'd be happy - but ashamed - to show you. I warn you, it ain't purty.

tac

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads