JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Is it lawful to give your adult child a handgun that resides in another state?

I am assuming it is not, it's still an interstate transfer, but curious if anyone as a real answer.

He is in Oregon. Assuming a gift is not lawful can I transport the handgun to him in Oregon to an FFL to make the transfer or do I have to have a FFL in Washington send it to a Oregon FFL?

All this is so screwed up, probably what I should do is sell the gun I want to give him , send him the cash and he can go buy the same one in Oregon losing probably $100 in the process.

Last Edited:
I am not sure about giving to a family member in Oregon, but I bought a Ruger 22/45 from a Vancouver,WA resident, and here is what we did:

He met me at my FFL in Beaverton, OR, handed them the handgun, they ran the background check on me, when it was clear, I handed him the money for the gun, handed the money to the FFL for the background check, they handed me the gun, and I walked out. Done.

You will have to make sure the FFL is OK with doing a transfer like this, as some may not be willing.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The world is full of Kings and Queens, who blind your eyes, and steal your dreams. It's Heaven and Hell.....

How about if I complicate things further. The handgun is held in a trust (as all of my firearms are) and my son is named as a Trustee

Since he is entitled to posses the items in the trust in a way the handgun is already his (it's his as much as it is mine anyway since its held in the trust)

Now what?

How about if I complicate things further. The handgun is held in a trust (as all of my firearms are) and my son is named as a Trustee

Since he is entitled to posses the items in the trust in a way the handgun is already his (it's his as much as it is mine anyway since its held in the trust)

Now what?

I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on the internet..

but wow, that's a complication. One would assume that with him being a partial owner of the items in a trust that would be allowed for him to have access to the trust held items at any point in time. (also assuming he has a copy of paperwork)...

Why you gotta throw an iron into the fire like this? Good question though. I have no advice other than to compliment you on your rubik cube.

How about issuing a "grantor of use" to your son, since he's a trustee of the gun trust.
Just extend the return date far into the future.
Here's a simple explanation from the net.

Trustee Grant of Use. This piece within the gun trust provides important identification for the trustee. It clearly states the individual is a Special Independent Trustee and that they are permitted to possess specific firearms at a given time.

When it comes to my safety, I don't give a rat's a$$ about any laws. When it comes to close, trustable family members, ditto.

If you wanna follow the law as I know it, (and I'm not a lawyer either) a long gun can be transferred to an out of state buyer in your state. A handgun has to be transferred in his state of residence.
My knowledge of trusts is nil.

Read between the lines and you know what I'd do

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews