JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Is it lawful to give your adult child a handgun that resides in another state?

I am assuming it is not, it's still an interstate transfer, but curious if anyone as a real answer.

He is in Oregon. Assuming a gift is not lawful can I transport the handgun to him in Oregon to an FFL to make the transfer or do I have to have a FFL in Washington send it to a Oregon FFL?

All this is so screwed up, probably what I should do is sell the gun I want to give him , send him the cash and he can go buy the same one in Oregon losing probably $100 in the process.

Last Edited:
I am not sure about giving to a family member in Oregon, but I bought a Ruger 22/45 from a Vancouver,WA resident, and here is what we did:

He met me at my FFL in Beaverton, OR, handed them the handgun, they ran the background check on me, when it was clear, I handed him the money for the gun, handed the money to the FFL for the background check, they handed me the gun, and I walked out. Done.

You will have to make sure the FFL is OK with doing a transfer like this, as some may not be willing.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The world is full of Kings and Queens, who blind your eyes, and steal your dreams. It's Heaven and Hell.....

How about if I complicate things further. The handgun is held in a trust (as all of my firearms are) and my son is named as a Trustee

Since he is entitled to posses the items in the trust in a way the handgun is already his (it's his as much as it is mine anyway since its held in the trust)

Now what?

How about if I complicate things further. The handgun is held in a trust (as all of my firearms are) and my son is named as a Trustee

Since he is entitled to posses the items in the trust in a way the handgun is already his (it's his as much as it is mine anyway since its held in the trust)

Now what?

I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on the internet..

but wow, that's a complication. One would assume that with him being a partial owner of the items in a trust that would be allowed for him to have access to the trust held items at any point in time. (also assuming he has a copy of paperwork)...

Why you gotta throw an iron into the fire like this? Good question though. I have no advice other than to compliment you on your rubik cube.

How about issuing a "grantor of use" to your son, since he's a trustee of the gun trust.
Just extend the return date far into the future.
Here's a simple explanation from the net.

Trustee Grant of Use. This piece within the gun trust provides important identification for the trustee. It clearly states the individual is a Special Independent Trustee and that they are permitted to possess specific firearms at a given time.

When it comes to my safety, I don't give a rat's a$$ about any laws. When it comes to close, trustable family members, ditto.

If you wanna follow the law as I know it, (and I'm not a lawyer either) a long gun can be transferred to an out of state buyer in your state. A handgun has to be transferred in his state of residence.
My knowledge of trusts is nil.

Read between the lines and you know what I'd do

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews