JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm in the market for my first one. Want one to be prepared fir the worst case scenario. What are the best brands and models for my $300 budget? Like to get my license after buying one. Thank you.
Get your technician license and during your class, they will discuss all the various radios, handheld,mobile and fixed.

Good morning,

I purchased an Icom 2730A/E Dual Band Mobile Radio for $240ish (PDF on manual attached). It's a 50w max unit with multiple mounting options. The faceplate can be directly attached to the transceiver base or attached via a cable. It's got an awesome mic and the bonus is I'm setting it up in a separate poly case from Harbor Freight (cheap Pelican) and adding an additional fan to the case. The case gets locked under my seat with the faceplate atop my dash wit the mic attached to the faceplate. In 15" I can remove everything and attach it to a DC Power Supply in the House. 50w is nothing to spit at for an "urban" base station that's grab and go from truck AND/OR home.

I also have 2 BaoFeng BF-FH HP 8w handhelds; 1 for vest and 1 for 72 hour BOB. Extra battery packs (rechargeable) + empty batt pack for AA batts. Longer whip antennas, external mics.

Handheld sets on Amazon are priced right (some). The basic 2 radio set w/out add items was $70+- w/ another $65 for redundancy accessories.

THE Power Supply was around $40 new and comes with front and back lead attachments and a VU Meter.

The Icom was a used (unused return) from Ham Radio Outlet in King City/Tigard.

Good luck!

TK

PS- just picked up a cobra handheld CB at Goodwill for $4.99 for add'tl redundancy.....

I'm a licensed Ham operator and this is just my Humble opinion but...... if you're looking for a good-basic first-time rig do some internet research on the ICOM IC-728 and/or the YAESU FT-840. Both have been around for years (and although they may not have the latest bells & whistles) they are excellent, basic, starter rigs.

I'll just say it since everything else has already been said ad nauseum either directly or via links:

Baofeng BF-F8HP (or two) with a good aftermarket antenna to learn the ropes after getting your Tech license, then build from there.

Screenshot_20191107-183155~2.png

I'm in the market for my first one. Want one to be prepared fir the worst case scenario. What are the best brands and models for my $300 budget? Like to get my license after buying one. Thank you.
If I could only have 1 radio...it would be an inexpensive shortwave transceiver. With that unit, I would have the ability to talk either locally, or several hundred miles away. It also needs to operate on 12 volts, D.C. so that solar panels and batteries can keep it powered. A VHF/UHF handheld would have minimal useful range, as all the repeater infrastructure would be inoperative, anyway.

After the SHTF, your license will be superfluous, but you should get one so that you can practice and get familiar with your shortwave radio and learn about radio signal propagation...before the zombie apocalypse.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top