JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If got a couple Beofeng handhelds...... recently paid for online testing prep course and test when I'm ready, but still turn em on in garage to listen every once in a while.
I've heard one conversation really. Most just scan around until the weather again.
Puget sound area.... I'm I in a low activity area or am I really missing a big antenna?

E7531299-5AEB-45D9-B42B-D5386B48E087.jpeg

If got a couple Beofeng handhelds...... recently paid for online testing prep course and test when I'm ready, but still turn em on in garage to listen every once in a while.
I've heard one conversation really. Most just scan around until the weather again.
Puget sound area.... I'm I in a low activity area or am I really missing a big antenna?

There is a sticky at the top of this section......... https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/ham-radio-starter-kit-information-for-beginners.159771/

VHF/UHF isn't super active. You need to find the main Seattle repeater and listen. Probably quiet most of the time. Once you get your call sign you can reach out to others that are monitoring.

View attachment 828814
Check with your local radio club. (Google, Google Maps, ARRL.org to find.) Mine was a small club but put on license training bootcamps 3 times a year. It is also a good place to find an Elmer (old hand that will help you join our world).

Wheelchair Wraith~WA7ASA
Takoma, People's Republic of
Washington

your baofengs will work far outside rather than inside, even more so while mobile.
a better than original antenna is a big plus.

another device to play with is your cell phone...download "Echolink" makes a ham radio out of your phone...sort of. I have talked with several folks the past few years, different but I can make connections.

Welcome to the hobby! Repeaters are your friend. Not too much action on simplex, but it does come in handy for nearby contacts.

Repeater Book is a great phone app for finding repeaters.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top