JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm not saying I'd WANT to get shot by a .22, but I'm betting the guy I trade a .22lr to, wants to get shot with a .223 less.:s0155:

BTW, the nice thing about having guns like this to trade is that you don't HAVE to trade a .22lr, if you don't know or trust the recipient. Just gives you more options.;)

Think of this scenario. I'm rural. All of my neighbors already have hunting rifles, etc., but I'm betting that many of them don't have more than a couple of boxes of ammo. So, they are already equipped to kill me. I know them and like them, and I'm betting they would love to have either a new .22 rifle or if they don't need that, then 500 or 1,000 rounds of .22 ammo. Maybe they have a .22 rifle, but they'd like to have another for the wife or for the older kids for self defense and hunting.

Maybe one of my neighbors or a large gang will kill me anyway. I can't cover every base. I just think investing in guns and ammo is better than keeping paper dollars, and I think they may be very valuable some day.

This is a very good idea as there will be many people that were against firearms that suddenly wake up to the relization of needing one. However they wont have much to trade because it will be the same people that think we're strange for preping.

I agree 100%! I have thought about this for a while and feel if you have (had) the means, you should have taken care of business!

But i got to thinking about, say, the single mom down the street or the elderly that may not have the "means" and are just worried about today. I think, those of us that can afford it should keep a few around, with some extra ammo to donate to them, rather than barter with people that could have been ready.

I'm sure they would be targets/victims long before most of us.

Just my $.02, Lefty.

I agree 100%! I have thought about this for a while and feel if you have (had) the means, you should have taken care of business!

But i got to thinking about, say, the single mom down the street or the elderly that may not have the "means" and are just worried about today. I think, those of us that can afford it should keep a few around, with some extra ammo to donate to them, rather than barter with people that could have been ready.

I'm sure they would be targets/victims long before most of us.

Just my $.02, Lefty.

Well, we live in a very upscale rural view area where no one is poor, although they might be if dollars were no good and they didn't have preps. A single mom might be able to sew or help in the garden, or have tools she can't use that the ex left behind, etc. People at least 80 remember the great depression and tend to stay stocked up on food. My Dad sure does.

You just never know. Yes, I would help out that way if needed. All except food except when I kill a deer or elk. You never know how long the SHTF would last.

Well, we live in a very upscale rural view area where no one is poor, although they might be if dollars were no good and they didn't have preps. A single mom might be able to sew or help in the garden, or have tools she can't use that the ex left behind, etc. People at least 80 remember the great depression and tend to stay stocked up on food. My Dad sure does.

You just never know. Yes, I would help out that way if needed. All except food except when I kill a deer or elk. You never know how long the SHTF would last.

Kinda agreeing with my old buddy here. Plus, A quote sticks out in my head lately (slightly modified):
"An item or skill is only as valuable as what a buyer (or in-the-know types) says it's worth."

I've been contemplating this alot lately. A gun to the right person could by a house and land in the future... or a loaf of bread to another. A brick of Gold the size of my foot could do the exact same trade. A gallon of gas, an iron skillet, a working radio...
I guess it's kind of a duality, you need the stuff you feel you need to survive, yet also things you think others will want if the time comes to trade for stuff that's valuable to you. The guy who put all his efforts in gold might get lucky and be able to buy a city, or have thousands of lumps of metal. Gold won't kill a deer (unless it's a gold bullet or you beat them over the head with a brick of it) but maybe it'll buy a hunter who will kill it for you.
All i'm saying is, maybe it doesn't hurt to diversify?

(Been gone a long time, sorta a personal hiadus, back now. :) )

I'm not sure i was able to articulate my thoughts in my previous post. I would rather give someone a rifle and ammo (single woman, single mom, older folks) that couldn't afford one pre SHTF so they can protect themselves than to barter with it.

I have no sympathy for anyone that had the money, but did nothing to ensure they and those dependent upon them were ready.

Lefty.

Kinda agreeing with my old buddy here. Plus, A quote sticks out in my head lately (slightly modified):
"An item or skill is only as valuable as what a buyer (or in-the-know types) says it's worth."

I've been contemplating this alot lately. A gun to the right person could by a house and land in the future... or a loaf of bread to another. A brick of Gold the size of my foot could do the exact same trade. A gallon of gas, an iron skillet, a working radio...
I guess it's kind of a duality, you need the stuff you feel you need to survive, yet also things you think others will want if the time comes to trade for stuff that's valuable to you. The guy who put all his efforts in gold might get lucky and be able to buy a city, or have thousands of lumps of metal. Gold won't kill a deer (unless it's a gold bullet or you beat them over the head with a brick of it) but maybe it'll buy a hunter who will kill it for you.
All i'm saying is, maybe it doesn't hurt to diversify?

(Been gone a long time, sorta a personal hiadus, back now. :) )

Hey, Arkarayne - Welcome back!

Arkarayne knows what I mean about my neighborhood. He's been to my house. We're uniquely situated on a kind of secluded but paved road, on a hill overlooking town but with forest behind us.

Hey, Arkarayne - Welcome back!

Arkarayne knows what I mean about my neighborhood. He's been to my house. We're uniquely situated on a kind of secluded but paved road, on a hill overlooking town but with forest behind us.

Yes, Easily defendable, not exactly an easy area to sneak into, and situated outside the "area of interest" as I call it.
Same as my place, lonely road, access to water and wildlife, no immediate view of the city, but a short hike and some binoc's fix that, and outside the "area of interest". neighbor's aren't as great, lol.

But the previous poster made a point: trust. You gotta know that at least in the SHTF situation, your weapons are being given to those who'll use them properly, and not just turn them on you.

Yeah... I don't think I would give guns to people I don't already know, even in trade, unless the specific SHTF scenario demanded it... Literal zombie apocalypse, maybe... Red Dawn, maybe... social or economic break down and internal national political strife or conflict (due to natural disaster or man-made causes)... not a chance in ****.

Trust is key.

More importantly, would you really want word going around that you have gun stock for trade in situations where it mattered? The person you're trading with might not have guns, but they might know folks who do and who might be willing to expend some ammo on acquiring more.

Last Edited:
More importantly, would you really want word going around that you have gun stock for trade in situations where it mattered? The person you're trading with might not have guns, but they might know folks who do and who might be willing to expend some ammo on acquiring more.

Yeah, but all you're "showing" is a single shot .22lr or .410, if someone already has guns, knows where you are and is desperate enough to storm your castle to pick up a single shot .22, they're probably coming after you anyway.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top