JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Don't know if this has been brought up before. Do any of you buy cheap guns for the sole purpose of possibly using them to trade in the event of EOTWAWKIT? I was looking at a .410 single shot at Bimart today, and it dawned on me "this could be pretty valuable as a small game getter if SHTF", maybe single shot .22's. They could be useful for someone to get small game without being too much of a threat to ME. Of course I understand .410 and .22 CAN be deadly, but in single shot form they are a lot less threatening than a Saiga 12 or and AK.

This is a very good idea as there will be many people that were against firearms that suddenly wake up to the relization of needing one. However they wont have much to trade because it will be the same people that think we're strange for preping.

I think it is a great idea, I have an old single shot 12 gauge I was thinking selling a few ago and it dawned on me I should probably keep it around as trade item or if a friend shows up, who is an asset and needs one. Just be careful who you trade it to in a SHTF situation, you do not want them to come back and use it against you.

Just be careful who you trade it to in a SHTF situation, you do not want them to come back and use it against you.

That's what I was thinking, and also why I was mostly thinking about .410 (birdshot ammo included) or .22lr single shots instead of SKS's with high capacity mags in 7.62.

In today's market that brand new HR single shot .410 with a bunch of ammo is the same as 3 oz. of silver.

I actually bought some cheap guns (Mosins) to loan to my neighbors if the need arises. I suppose I could trade them, but I'm thinking more along the lines of "block watch" (with guns).

The single-shot shotguns are appealing because they are intrinsically easy for folks to understand how to operate. Also, less risk of over-penatration from an errant round. Even thought there's a risk it might be turned on you, I'd suggest a 12ga or 20ga for greater versatility in what it can throw out there.

(And, I'll say that I really like shooting the .410 - one of my first guns was a H&R .410 and I have an M6 now. Just not sure it's my go-to round in times of trouble.)

This is a very good idea as there will be many people that were against firearms that suddenly wake up to the relization of needing one. However they wont have much to trade because it will be the same people that think we're strange for preping.

If they have a pretty daughter I might consider a trade. Then again if we are in TEOTWAWKI, a mule would be more useful than some spoiled airhead.

Rule #2 of bartering: NEVER trade anything that can be used against you.

Picture Arnold's visit the gun shop in the first _Terminator_ movie.

Goes for ammunition too.

If you wish to keep some spare iron on hand to equip your own Dragon's Wing, well that's an entirely different concept and has considerable merit.

And there is Rule #3 of trading: Trading hard goods for hard goods is a zero-sum game. Better to trade your services/information/facility use/etc for their hard goods.

Not sure hard goods for hard goods is strictly a zero sum game. What if someone has a hand water pump for trade and you could really make good use of it? As long as you don't surrender a capability (trade your last shovel for a chicken), I see barter as an important skill.

I actually bought some cheap guns (Mosins) to loan to my neighbors if the need arises. I suppose I could trade them, but I'm thinking more along the lines of "block watch" (with guns).

The single-shot shotguns are appealing because they are intrinsically easy for folks to understand how to operate. Also, less risk of over-penatration from an errant round. Even thought there's a risk it might be turned on you, I'd suggest a 12ga or 20ga for greater versatility in what it can throw out there.

I'd definitely be a little nervous about passing out Mosins, that 7.62 X 54 can REALLY reach out there. That would be fine as long as they remain friendly. If they turn on you, or lose the gun to un-friendly's, you could be taken out without even knowing where it came from. Also, I'm not sure 7.62 X 54 (or 12 ga for that matter) would be a good round for someone that hasn't done much shooting (I'm making an assumption based on the fact that they don't own any guns).

(And, I'll say that I really like shooting the .410 - one of my first guns was a H&R .410 and I have an M6 now. Just not sure it's my go-to round in times of trouble.)

That's the whole point, .410 wouldn't be YOUR go-to round, it would be a step up for someone that would otherwise be trying to "snare" squirrels.

If times get tough enough, anyone could turn against you. Starving people would be desperate. I have .22 rifles and bricks of ammo to trade. They won't penetrate my body armor, LOL.

You know criminals, LOL? Yeah, I agree. I suspect more deer have been killed with a .22 than any other caliber, just at night, LOL.

Glad you did not take it personally, sometimes people misunderstand my comments, :)

To the point, a lot of people under estimate the small caliber firearm and my point is in the right hands a small caliber firearm can be just as dangerous a large caliber firearm.

No they (a 22) do not make as big a hole or make as much noise, but that is the trick in SHTF, I do now want people a 1/2 mile away to know (by using a high caliber rifle) I just took down a deer to feed my family. I am going to do it as stealthy as I can. Nor do I want them to know I just took out their pal who has been stealing from my garden or fruit trees, instead of bartering for it

Glad you did not take it personally, sometimes people misunderstand my comments, :)

To the point, a lot of people under estimate the small caliber firearm and my point is in the right hands a small caliber firearm can be just as dangerous a large caliber firearm.

No they (a 22) do not make as big a hole or make as much noise, but that is the trick in SHTF, I do now want people a 1/2 mile away to know (by using a high caliber rifle) I just took down a deer to feed my family. I am going to do it as stealthy as I can. Nor do I want them to know I just took out their pal who has been stealing from my garden or fruit trees, instead of bartering for it

Nah, no offense. My bug out guns if I have to head for my hiding place in the forest are a .22lr rifle and a pistol, and 1,000 rounds of ammo. It's the only way I could carry that many rounds, and the quietest I could be.

So you don't anything more than a .22? If you do, WHY?

I think the point was that nobody wants to be shot with a .22, and it can kill, so maybe it's dangerous to use them for barter. Personally I have some for barter but I'd be dang sure I knew who was getting it.

I just think they could be very, very valuable with a brick of ammo if the SHTF. I mean, VERY valuable. It cost me less than $150 to buy a good new Savage .22 and a brick of ammo, and I can sell them now for about what I paid for them on sale at Bi-Mart. I think it's win-win to invest in firearms and ammo, but I respect those who disagree about bartering with them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top