JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If physical currency does go away, maybe we could use common ammunition as currency, among gun owner communities. 22lr, 9mm, 223/5.56 and 308 would probably be most popular.

The exchange rate could be tied to average monthly ammo prices in digital fiat (dollar) prices.

Any opinions on this idea?

1680851404774.png

Example exchange rates might be 5 cents for 22lr, 25 cents for 9mm, 50 cents for 223/5.56 and $1 for 308. Assuming sellers would only accept full boxes of ammo that would allow exchanges in as little as $2.50 increments.

There's a reason paper money was created. Try carrying one thousand .308 rounds in your pocket for a day then tell me how feasible this idea is on any but the smallest scale

There's a reason paper money was created. Try carrying one thousand .308 rounds in your pocket for a day then tell me how feasible this idea is on any but the smallest scale
It's true that it would be inefficient and burdensome compared to cash. It might help people appreciate physical money more than they do now. If paper money sticks around then I don't see the need for an alternative currency. If the Feds yank it and force us to use digital trackable currency than we might appreciate an alternative.

If I can find a few things to sell I might accept ammo as payment to see how difficult it would be to use. I didn't have much success with my barter experiences. I think I was too specific with my trade request.

Last Edited:
Ammo of known provenance might get used in occasional trades. But it isnt a very good medium of exchange. Poorly stored ammo can cause gun malfunctions . I wouldn't want to carry SD ammo that had been who knows where and stored who knows how. And its not like ammo of a given caliber is interchangeable. If its hunting ammo you need to zero the gun sights for the particular ammo. Or figure out how it shoots compared to what you are used to. That takes several rounds and some time/work.

Ammo of known provenance might get used in occasional trades. But it isnt a very good medium of exchange. Poorly stored ammo can cause gun malfunctions . I wouldn't want to carry SD ammo that had been who knows where and stored who knows how. And its not like ammo of a given caliber is interchangeable. If its hunting ammo you need to zero the gun sights for the particular ammo. Or figure out how it shoots compared to what you are used to. That takes several rounds and some time/work.
I agree on all points. My initial thoughts are to accept only recent production, new (not reman), American made, brass cased, boxer primed, fmj type ammo. I will use current values from ammoseek to determine a fair exchange rate. If somebody wants to trade ammo outside of these parameters, negotiating would be necessary.

Edit: Sticking with the above parameters, there are likely thousands of ammo combinations that could be used for payment on a $100 value purchase.

Last Edited:
First attempt:

My only direct experience in using ammunition as currency (differentiated from usage as trading stock) would include being a high-schooler with little or no money, and yet at each Rifle Match in the Metro League, we'd have a "high stakes, no bet limit" side game of poker going during the Match.

The medium of exchange was .22 Long Rifle (Match) ammunition.

And I did see a full box of 50 hit the table more than once when someone went "all-in" on their hand. :cool:

Do you really think they will allow you to have any sizeable quantities of ammunition after taking away cash? One of the first things that will be verbotten to purchase with a digital dollar will be ammunition and firearms.
"I'm sorry sir, but your transaction was declined. Must just be a temporary glitch in the system. Your patchouli oil went through just fine but it won't ring up your .308 rounds. I'm sure we'll have it fixed next week..."
Bet on it.

I think ammo is all over the place as value by the holder goes….. depending on what they paid for it. There's quite a range….. even in rimfire. .308/7.62-51…. Like mentioned here is bulk ball or high end hunting stuff.

.22lr 5 cents each should be good for the most, but is the lowest on the ammo seek search engine now. I wouldn't know what else to value ammo…. What I paid….. or going for now….. but I wouldn't feel good about trading it for what "you" paid in bulk before any "scarcity" because "you" had the means and foresight to get it while you could. "You" is not you.

I really like this thought…..ammo should be a good currency….. I can carry 1.000 rnds of.308 to get something I wanted and had the excess. Not practical but I'll do it.

That said…^^^
I've traded straight 556 and 9mm for hardware and straight across 22lr but rimfire with a purpose (10-15-20-50 cents a round that didn't perform in my barrel and becomes stash or mag dumps)

I have ammo for rainy days….. it's stuff I bought at dirt prices or hand loads with bullet weights that didn't perform well in my barrel. Other stashes are hand loaded with cast lead on the cheap.

This I would value close to the suggested scale you provided….. but I don't think it'll (hand loads) move….. though I wouldn't try unless it's REALLY RAINING.

And THAT said…..^^^

You offered a good commodity right now. But let me ask….. how did you value the hardware? What you paid, would have liked to pay, what you see it going for now….??? There are some good shoppers here with recent adds for 1/2 the cost outside of tax and shipping.

The value changes on that piece of hardware because of how close we are on not having time to get certain things. IMHO

Using ammo for currency when you can no longer purchase ammo.

Makes sense 👊 💦

H.R. 584: Stop Online Ammunition Sales Act of 2023 (US Congress)
To require face-to-face purchases of ammunition, to require licensing of ammunition dealers, and to require reporting regarding bulk purchases of ammunition.

If physical currency does go away, maybe we could use common ammunition as currency, among gun owner communities. 22lr, 9mm, 223/5.56 and 308 would probably be most popular.

The exchange rate could be tied to average monthly ammo prices in digital fiat (dollar) prices.

Any opinions on this idea?

View attachment 1399204
I have LONG kept a good supply of ammo due to living through many panic shortages. Anyone who has lived through a couple of these panics see's that yes, ammo makes a good trade good. For anything you are wanting that someone who wants ammo has for sale. The very first gun sale I ever made on this site was done this way. Member contacted me. Said he had some extra ammo he no longer wanted and offered a cash + the ammo for the gun. Deal was struck that both of us were happy with. Member came by and we made the trade. When a full blown panic is going on ammo can suddenly be worth a hell of a lot. Look at what things like 9mm and .22LR were selling for during the last panic. Primers seem to be a great trade good too as they are still harder to come by.

Nope...way too many folks remember when ammo prices didn't require a bank loan to purchase.
Just take a look at our classifieds for ammo...and see all the deleted comments...
Or lack of replies / lack of sales.
Most of them are about the perceived high cost of "used " , as in previously purchased ammo.

That said I have in the past sold or traded ammo...and I am sure that I will also in the future.
However...ammo being a substitute for cash....I don't think so.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top