JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Insert which ever scenario you wish...WWIII has come and gone and we're at 'I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.' -or- It's World War Z and noise brings the herds of undead flesh-eaters (a.k.a. crackheads) -or- <insert whatever> bottom line guns are done and bubblegum is all over the fan...What is/are your preferred melee weapon(s)? Anything goes...baseball bat, Estwing 30oz framing hammer, Corn Pop their bubblegum with a hunk of chain, flange mace, samurai sword, doesn't matter...What do you use to tune-up what's left of the masses?

I've played a quite a few martial art weapons but I have always wanted a poleaxe and a warhammer, not skinny type with the long spike but the short blunt simple one without a spike on top. The poleaxe, my primary, is the subject and the warhammer, my secondary, is on the wall in the video below, but I don't want the spike on the hammer. What are yours?

Well, considering my background, proclivities, and experience, this is an easy one, particularly because I'm not left handed. Prepare to die:

1650600888743.png

:p

...baseball bat, Estwing 30oz framing hammer, Corn Pop their bubblegum with a hunk of chain, flange mace, samurai sword...
OMG, sooo many choices! They all sound fantastic!

Elmer Keith would probably suggest a Bardiche or other extreme heavy weapon.

Col. Cooper would probably suggest a Halberd since it is a hammer, an axe, and a spear all on one. A great multi tool. Except he would probably call it the scout master or something.

Jack O'Connor would probably suggest the short, quick short sword for its speed and penetration capability.

Me if I had a choice of whatever, probably a battle axe, as long as it can be used as a bottle opener and doesn't come in FDE.

Rebar. A short piece of rebar will fix a lot of situations, just saying. I keep a piece of #3 over specific door frames. It can easily be carried and made into rebar nun chucks if necessary. (yeah my dad was a ninja too).

IMG_20220414_112055.jpg IMG_20220414_112037.jpg

My mother-in-law....
.... she can cripple with a glance or talk anyone/anything to death, without even breaking a sweat!

Unfortunately, she's only viable for home defense, as she's not very portable...
.... and wayyy too bulky for carrying concealed. :s0092:

Last Edited:
KA-BAR (MADE IN NEW YORK) famous, fixed blade military knives.

BUCK (MADE IN IDAHO) classic fixed blade knives.

There are several other fixed blade knives made by well known knife makers here too.

ESTWING CAMP AXE. Shorter and smaller to handle. Leather wrapped handle with sheath.

Estwing longer handled camp and forest axes. Various styles and sizes.

SOG 'hawks.

(Other name brand axes from the USA and from other countries.)

Classic pitchfork used in regular gardens and in barns for farm - ranch work.

Shovels in various sizes and styles. I am not talking about a light weight snow shovel now but if that is ALL that you have on hand... sigh.

A baseball bat.

A golf club if you golf.

A HEAVY broom with a sturdy handle.

Trench shovel - military style one.

Saws - hand saws, carpenter saws, tree saws, bow saw, etc.

Pruning shears (Short and long ones.) and tree - bush loppers that come in various lengths.

SCISSORS - kitchen, sewing, etc. in various lengths and styles.

SAWS ALL if you have electric or generator power. And if NO power - you have ALL kinds of blades with them if you have NOTHING ELSE to use in a pinch.

(I loved to use my former, heavy duty - electric cord not battery operated SEARS SAWS ALL many, many years ago since I could NOT handle a chain saw of ANY SIZE but I could use that specific SAWS ALL with a tree trimming blade on some TALL Colorado blue spruce trees, white pines, other pines, other spruces, maples, oaks, lilacs growing to the second floor in height, some yews, honeysuckles, etc.)

SNOW CHAINS used for tires.

Chains used for towing.

Chains used on a farm tractor or for any other thing.

Kitchen knives, butcher knives, hunting knives, carving knives and forks used at a dining room table for some holiday meals.

HAMMERS in various sizes and styles.

SCREWDRIVERS in various sizes and styles.

WRENCHES in various sizes and styles.

Sewing needles and embroidery smaller scissors that you find in your sewing kit or by your machines. Knitting needles.

A heavy book in a sturdy pillow case.

Several rolls of coin in a heavy sock.

One or two cans of soup or vegetables in a HEAVY sock or in a pillow case.

The list is endless if you needed something in a 'pinch' or if you PLAN AHEAD and buy yourself some good quality tools AND know how to USE them safely or even in some emergency situation.

Building supplies in wood or steel if you have any left from your construction of building a new home or any other building project.

Etc. when it comes to looking in MOST tool boxes of ANY SIZE. Portable ones with handles on them or tool chests/tool cabinets on WHEELS!

Heavy and solid piece of a TREE BRANCH.

Various types of old fashioned walking sticks and CANES used for helping people walk made in various materials.

Cate

ADDED MORE.

KA-BAR (MADE IN NEW YORK) famous, fixed blade military knives.

BUCK (MADE IN IDAHO) classic fixed blade knives.

There are several other fixed blade knives made by well known knife makers here too.

ESTWING CAMP AXE. Shorter and smaller to handle. Leather wrapped handle with sheath.

Estwing longer handled camp and forest axes. Various styles and sizes.

SOG 'hawks.

(Other name brand axes from the USA and from other countries.)

Classic pitchfork used in regular gardens and in barns for farm - ranch work.

Shovels in various sizes and styles. I am not talking about a light weight snow shovel now but if that is ALL that you have on hand... sigh.

A baseball bat.

A golf club if you golf.

A HEAVY broom with a sturdy handle.

Trench shovel - military style one.

Saws - hand saws, carpenter saws, tree saws, bow saw, etc.

Pruning shears (Short and long ones.) and tree - bush loppers that come in various lengths.

SCISSORS - kitchen, sewing, etc. in various lengths and styles.

SAWS ALL if you have electric or generator power. And if NO power - you have ALL kinds of blades with them if you have NOTHING ELSE to use in a pinch.

(I loved to use my former, heavy duty - electric cord not battery operated SEARS SAWS ALL many, many years ago since I could NOT handle a chain saw of ANY SIZE but I could use that specific SAWS ALL with a tree trimming blade on some TALL Colorado blue spruce trees, white pines, other pines, other spruces, maples, oaks, lilacs growing to the second floor in height, some yews, honeysuckles, etc.)

SNOW CHAINS used for tires.

Chains used for towing.

Chains used on a farm tractor or for any other thing.

Kitchen knives, butcher knives, hunting knives, carving knives and forks used at a dining room table for some holiday meals.

HAMMERS in various sizes and styles.

SCREWDRIVERS in various sizes and styles.

WRENCHES in various sizes and styles.

Sewing needles and embroidery smaller scissors that you find in your sewing kit or by your machines. Knitting needles.

A heavy book in a sturdy pillow case.

Several rolls of coin in a heavy sock.

One or two cans of soup or vegetables in a HEAVY sock or in a pillow case.

The list is endless if you needed something in a 'pinch' or if you PLAN AHEAD and buy yourself some good quality tools AND know how to USE them safely or even in some emergency situation.

Building supplies in wood or steel if you have any left from your construction of building a new home or any other building project.

Etc. when it comes to looking in MOST tool boxes of ANY SIZE. Portable ones with handles on them or tool chests/tool cabinets on WHEELS!

Heavy and solid piece of a TREE BRANCH.

Various types of old fashioned walking sticks and CANES used for helping people walk made in various materials.

Cate

ADDED MORE.
I use a cane on and off depending on my day. I have good and bad days.

I take one with me if I go away from the house just in case I should need it.

I do use one when I get UP and out of a bed too.

My cane is METAL and sturdy but I am going to get a second one for back up.

My late Mom's cane was made out of hickory or oak wood.

It was the same type of wood that Miss G. had for her crutches - same age and Miss G. was a polio survivor. She was a very close friend of my late Mom's and late Aunt Catherine's. (Close to me too.) They were 3 best friends all of their lives until they died one by one. They were extremely close, KIND, SMART, well known and powerful women in their personal lives and in their individual professions. Medical, law and insurance. Insurance = Miss G.

Cate

I've got a 30" camp axe with a full steel tang and hammer on the back. It's incredibly light for it's size, it's sharp and very versatile. Often thought it was more of a fighting axe than a camp axe but the home Depot thought differently. So that. Or an upside down axe handle. Really just something light and fast with a bit of reach.

Or for a fun twist, my 29" Barrett barrel with the muzzle brake on the business end. Just because the ammo is gone doesn't mean my barrel melted away

Depending on the situation, probably one or more of these:
20220422_045308.jpg

Top to bottom:
Paul Chen Mercenary sword with a 35" blade made from 5160 spring steel.

Paul Chen Katana with differentially heat treated 1095 blade.

A Ka-Bar USMC workhorse and 2 United Cutlery boot knives.

Rebar. A short piece of rebar will fix a lot of situations, just saying. I keep a piece of #3 over specific door frames. It can easily be carried and made into rebar nun chucks if necessary. (yeah my dad was a ninja too).

View attachment 1182689 View attachment 1182690
Nice. I can throw a 3' piece of 1/2" electrical conduit through one side of an oil barrel but other than that it's too light to be effective as a weapon..

Never taken the time to practice but often thought a decent Katana would be a great weapon if no guns. Almost bought one a few times from someone like Cold Steel just to play with. Watching some video's of guys using them damn things look like they would be quite effective with some practice.

Never taken the time to practice but often thought a decent Katana would be a great weapon if no guns. Almost bought one a few times from someone like Cold Steel just to play with. Watching some video's of guys using them damn things look like they would be quite effective with some practice.
There's a video of a Russian dude flailing around with one and he cuts his big toe right the hell off.
Pretty gruesome but toecutter's gotta toecut!

There's a video of a Russian dude flailing around with one and he cuts his big toe right the hell off.
Pretty gruesome but toecutter's gotta toecut!
Probably still on the "don't be this fool" kind of video compilations. Saw one two drunk kids find one. One holds a beer can long ways between his hands. Tells his buddy to cut it in half. Of course the guy holding the can gets one hand badly mangled. If it had been a decent Katana, not some cheap knock off the one guy would probably be missing the one hand.
I watched a guy from Cold Steel using on on a hog from a butcher shop. Damn thing was scary deadly.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top