JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
July 3rd. 2012, I bought a Colt Python from "Withems Gun Shop" in Grants Pass, Oregon through Guns America.
It was listed for $775.00 + $25.00 shipping.

I mailed a USPS money order for $800.00 2 days later and sent an e-mail with an attachment of "A Cut Above Pawn"
as the FFL to ship to.

I didn't hear from him for over a week, so I called him.
He said he "thought I wasn't interested" so he was sending my money back???

I've called him 3 times in the last two weeks and he keeps saying I should get the check anyday.
I also e-mailed him twice, once asking him what happened, he get a better offer?

I finally called the Grants Pass Oregon sherrif on the 25th of July to see if he would investigate.
Unfortunately, they are understaffed due to budget cuts, but did take a report.

I got a check yesterday. A personal check from Withems (not my USPS money order).
The check was for $775.00. ($25.00 short)
I went to his bank and the check was no good! Insufficient funds!

What did he do with my $800.00?
What do I do now?

Be well,
Will

Does Guns America provide anything? If not, small claims court might be your best option.

Maybe the bad publicity here will help too.

In accepting the funds for the weapon...doesn't ownership then transfer to you? In not relenquishing the weapon to you does that fall under the category of stealing it? Might want to play up that angle even though it wasn't transferred to you via FFL yet.

I'm thinking ATF on Monday.
I remember a couple years ago PP (Playboy Penguin) was having an issue with shipping a gun to a gun shop that wouldn't accept it but they also wouldn't send it back. It was something like that. Anyway I think he go in touch with ATF.

Be well,
Will

In accepting the funds for the weapon...doesn't ownership then transfer to you? In not relenquishing the weapon to you does that fall under the category of stealing it? Might want to play up that angle even though it wasn't transferred to you via FFL yet.

I do believe you are correct there. He cashed you check...the gun now legally belongs to you. I would have another talk to the local Sheriff about theft of a firearm.

We're moving to the GP area soon and he certainly won't get my business. So that's one less customer for him due to your problem.

Yes, he could easily lose his FFL over this one. I'd be contacting the authorities over this vs. visiting him in person. He had numerous chances to do it right and sent you a bad check, plus for less than your original amount.

It would be trivial to get a small claims judgement in your favor, but this guy needs to learn a lesson.

You may already have all this info but just in case it might help...................I would think this could hurt his FFL

Withem, Russell Emmett in Harbeck-Fruitdale, Oregon; Withems Gun Shop - Licensed Firearms Dealer/Gunsmith

Withem's Gun Shop | Facebook

Contact Info:
Withem's gun shop
541-205-2935
[email protected]
Withem's gun shop
6915 Williams Hwy
Grants Pass, OR. 97527
Hours:
10-6

Yup. That's the place.
Thanks for the links.

Be well,
Will

Let the post office and atf handle it. you 'going to handle it' is an invitation for disaster.macho thing to do ? sure. right thing to do? won't accomplish anything most likely except get you more promises.If you raise a ruckus in HIS SHOP,you may be the one going to jail.
prosecute via the PO,and the atf needs to get in on this too.
simply winning in small claims court is just that....collecting is another matter.

Squeaky wheel will get the greasing.

Complain to the BBB and any/all review sites like Citysearch. Call him everyday without fail. If you are too busy to do it, pay a friend $100 to do it payable when you get your entire $800 back. Make the puke's life miserable.

Call his bank every weekday to see if the funds are there. As soon as they are, cash it. It is a business, he will have funds in there at some point.

If you try and cash it and it bounces, in Oregon you can sue him for 3x damages.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads