JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
That's exactly what I would do.

Hi T,
As you know, I generally regard your opinion highly.
In this case, it's a 4+hour drive each way and time off from work.
I'm not so sure a direct confrontation is the wisest action.
I am a calm person but have too much emotion invested in this transaction.
I'm a bit pissed-off.

Thanks all, for the input. I'll keep everybody updated.

Be well,
Will

i dont see driving down there in an angry state of mind turning out well anyways so congrats on that, you seem to be handling this alot better than most people would.
best to leave it up to the people that are paid to take care of this kinda stuff.

this is the reason i always like to have the firearm in my hands when i hand over the $$$

So, what would a business do if you bought a gun with a bad check?

Call the popo and file a stolen gun report? Cuz that's pretty much what happened.

H

So, what would a business do if you bought a gun with a bad check?

Call the popo and file a stolen gun report? Cuz that's pretty much what happened.

H

that is only half the story, the bigger part of the story is that he cashed the money order (that was good) with obviously no intention of going through with his end of the deal and then replaced it with a bad check.

The fact he cashed a U.S. Postal money order is enough to get him into alot of trouble. It is a felony to do mail fraud and you have everything going for you. Also notify the ATF. This transaction involves the possiblity of federal crimes being committed. However if he comes up with the Python then all would be well. If he doesn't get every penny back from him. He must be stupid because for the amount of money involved he's committing crimes that will cost him a considerable amount of money not to mention losing his FFL.

The post office will investigate and they take mail fraud very seriously. He will also take it seriously when he finds out how much trouble he's in. It would be easier to buy you a different Python for you for 2k than go through what he will be going through.

Good luck. I know it's a pain in the *** but the law are on your side.

The fact he cashed a U.S. Postal money order is enough to get him into alot of trouble. It is a felony to do mail fraud and you have everything going for you. Also notify the ATF. This transaction involves the possiblity of federal crimes being committed. However if he comes up with the Python then all would be well. If he doesn't get every penny back from him. He must be stupid because for the amount of money involved he's committing crimes that will cost him a considerable amount of money not to mention losing his FFL.

The post office will investigate and they take mail fraud very seriously. He will also take it seriously when he finds out how much trouble he's in. It would be easier to buy you a different Python for you for 2k than go through what he will be going through.

Good luck. I know it's a pain in the *** but the law are on your side.
Yep, postal fraud will get him, plus the BATF will pull his license. NOT a good move on his part. Even if he gets another pistol or refunds your money he's still committed postal fraud by cashing the money order and not getting the pistol to you.

This is actually a civil matter, gentlemen. Breech of contract, with some NSF thrown into the mix. It's not a criminal matter, and it sounds like it's being handled appropriately. Next step would be small claims court.

No LE agency is going to file charges against a guy for $800 worth of crappy accounting. Your assumptions about his motives don't tend to hold up well with a jury.

I'd probably just take that bad check to the bank and try to cash it every day until it cleared- seems like if it's NSF he's gonna get a $25-$30 penalty each time...Small claims is going to be your next course of action unfortunately. I doubt the USPS or BATF is going to get you relief any time soon, if at all

I'd probably just take that bad check to the bank and try to cash it every day until it cleared- seems like if it's NSF he's gonna get a $25-$30 penalty each time...Small claims is going to be your next course of action unfortunately. I doubt the USPS or BATF is going to get you relief any time soon, if at all

I believe you can only make three attempts and then the check is essentially void. Better to check funds each time.

If you are running a business and don't have $800 in the bank just close your doors.

So what happens tomorrow on August 1st when he still hasn't paid back the $800 he took for the handgun?
I'm assuming by cashing your MO he's bound if not legally than at least morally to give you the darn gun or at the VERY least all of your money back.

Interesting thread. I've only purchased a gun online once and it wasn't a very pleasant experience. Don't think I'll ever do it again.
New gun arrived damaged,gun shop blamed shipper, shipper blames gun shop for poor packaging and...... I end up dealing with mfgr directly for muzzle re-crown.

Hope he comes thought tonight. I'm curious to see how this ends. Taking money for a gun and not shipping it is no joke.

Hello All,

I received an $800.00 USPS money order from Withems Gun Shop today. (A new one not the original)

As I said previously, I would keep the thread open until this matter resolved. Well, I guess it's time...

But before I go, I want to thank this forum, it's members and management for participating.
It was a difficult decision knowing that if I posted my situation here it would potentially hurt this gun shops' business.
It was never my intention to damage this individual or his business.
But after numerous attempts at resolving it directly, I felt I had no other choice.

I don't wish this experience to stop others from buying online, I have had many excellent transactions over the internet.

May this be a lesson to everybody and myself included, treat others the way you would want to be treated.

A final note before I close, Anyone wishing to contact me with comment or question, Please do so in a PM.

Be well,
Will

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR