JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I live 5 mins away from this shop but never went to it because it is in Murphy... To me from GP to Murphy is a distance :) Thanks for posting this here, I will tell all my buddies not to buy anything from them.

Considering the conviction rate of the US Postal Inspectors I vote you let them handle it - they have the highest conviction rate of any US enforcement agency (98%). One could argue that he committed mail fraud 3x - first cashing your check with no intention to send you your purchase, second sending you a check he knew would bounce, and third defrauding you out of shipping charges for something he never sent.
I would assume that you gave feedback on the auction site you bought the gun through? I would make it clear that he cashed your payment and blew you off for 3 weeks only to tell you he somehow thought that by sending him money it meant that you didn't want the gun and for the privilege of you being inconvenienced he not only shorted you $25 to ship you your refund check, the check bounced.....

Hi Will,
Contact the Attoney General Office Salem, Oregon Tell them what has happen. See if they can do something for you. Also Contact The US Post Office they have Officer that work cases like this. Then contact the Sheriff Office or Police Dept. on the bad check. Then contact the News Paper Office and tell them what has happen They may print it in the paper. You can run an add in the paper and put some infor. on the internet, Like CraigsList, OutdoorsTrader, Etc........
Hope this helps,
Tony Portland, Oregon Area

Will
I sent you an email Can you please respond.

I have read your e-mail.
I'm sorry for your personal issues but that doesn't exempt you from legitimate business practices.

We had spoken numerous times over the last 3 weeks and I was holding off posting this thread.
I was hoping you would at least send back my $800.00 money order.

When I received your Withems check for $775.00, I just about resigned myself to accepting it and taking the $25.00 loss.
But your check didn't clear.

Per your request, I will again send you my address. I will leave this thread open until this matter is resolved.

Will

I think I would do the ATF route, bet they could give you an idea as to how pursue this issue. I doubt that cashing a check is considered a legal transfer of a gun though.

Good Luck, I'll send the guy a "dont approve of the way you do business e-mail"

Will,

"Personal issues", huh? I know the goal is to get your money back, and I hope you don't spend $500 to get back your $800. If it were me, I WOULD get my money back (and then some), file multiple complaints and insist that the DA press charges for the CRIMES of mail fraud, "kyting" checks, maybe a call to the Federal and State Depts. of Revenue, and a call to the BATF letting them know they have an FFL that sounds like his books need to be combed through... Just for good measure as PAY BACK for treating me like some schmuck!

I have read your e-mail.
I'm sorry for your personal issues but that doesn't exempt you from legitimate business practices.

We had spoken numerous times over the last 3 weeks and I was holding off posting this thread.
I was hoping you would at least send back my $800.00 money order.

When I received your Withems check for $775.00, I just about resigned myself to accepting it and taking the $25.00 loss.
But your check didn't clear.

Per your request, I will again send you my address. I will leave this thread open until this matter is resolved.

Will

Your address was on the M.O. you sent him wasn't it? Good luck with this guy. Steals your money,writes you a bad check and now says he doesn't have your address? He's a crook and should be turned in, but I understand you probably would just like to get your money back.
Again, good luck with this turkey.

Hang on to that bad check until all is resolved. I am no lawyer but depending on the laws accepting anything from him, even a reduced amount might be legally binding and for all intents and purpose 'close' the issue.

Will, you might wish to read up....
30.701 Actions against maker of dishonored check; statutory damages and attorney fees; handling fee....
You'll find it here:
https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/ors/ors163.html

You have rights, but it is on you to enforce them. You would do yourself well to know what they are. On top of that, this fellow may have committed a crime or several...Keep in mind that you may not be the only one.

I agree that with the advice to pursue protecting your rights as a consumer and defending others by letting the appropriate authorities know about what has happened here; BATF, US Postmaster, Oregon AG's office.

If all of this is true then this fellow deserves what he gets, and that may be much more than the $800 originally in question plus loss of his FFL and a little time to think it over.

EDIT: Care to share the text of his email with the rest of us?? "Personal Issues"? The implication is that he did what he did deliberately...cashed the postal money order (i presume a postal money order because he insisted upon it) bad check back to you and all?? How is that any different than sticking a gun in your ribs and relieving you or your wallet?

Mr. Withem,
If you're reading this, here's where I stand today.

I won't publish your e-mail on this thread. Your personal issues are not in question here.

I reserve the right to prosecute in any way I deem fit to resolve this matter.

I give you till Wednesday the 1st of August to get me $800.00 in negotiable funds or the firearm I purchased.

Will

Will, you are being too nice. Google his name then start contacting people who know him and let them know he is a crook. Start with Oregon Hunters Association-Josephine County Chapter OHA

Oregon Hunters Association-Josephine County Chapter OHA's Notes

Jan 2, 2011 Minutes
Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Josephine County Chapter

Oregon Hunters Association

January 20 , 2011

Members Present: Board Members:

President - Brett Loper Ben Watts

Vice-President- Mike Mull Mike Conner

Treasurer -Jennifer Wytcherley Dawn Huffman-Guzman

Secret...

View Full Note · Like · Comment
Deborah Hahn likes this.
Grand Opening
Wednesday, February 16, 2011

One of our new OHA members is opening a gun shop in Murphy, Withem's Gun Shop. They are having a grand opening on Tuesday March 1, 2011 8am-7pm. The address is 6915 Wiliams Highway, in Murphy. Russ Withem is the owner and his number is 541-205-2935

19813999.jpg

keep us updated.

Complain to the BBB and any/all review sites like Citysearch.

I wouldn't bother with the BBB. Been there and done that over an RV dealer. Dealer sent the BBB a letter saying we had resolved the issue, when, in fact they never contacted me, nor did anything to resolve the issue. Sent a letter to the BBB protesting the closure of the complaint. The BBB sent me a letter saying they were accepting the dealers story and the case was closed. But the WA AG's office did agree with me and I got the free TV I was owed after all.

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top