JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So after moving an ammo crate I notice the lag that holds the reloading bench to the wall is pointing up at a 30 degree angle. That's not right, looking down at the carpet I see there is a 1-2 inch gap between the mop board and the carpet. Very much not right. Took half a day to move the ammo and bench. Pulled the carpet back and cut through the floor and found the goofball that built this place had the joists to short.:eek: I braced in 6 or seven places and will fix it right another time. The floor is back but the ammo still needs to be moved back.
356.JPG 357.JPG 359.JPG 360.JPG 361.JPG 363.JPG

Rental? Or is the house yours? Sucks to be a renter. However, having said that, how much weight were you prepared to put on this non inspected rented floor ... without a prior underneath inspection by you or others? Just thinking out loud. Respectfully.

Was the Builders name Plumb? I been fixing his screwed up remodel of my thrown together 1923 House for the past 29 years. Some of the stuff I have found would scare anyone with any common sense. The good news is in two payments the Mortgage is paid off and the dump is completely ours.

I have 2600 LPs in an area of less then 10 square feet. Talk about some weight.

Osmosis is a wonderful thing. I helped my dad remodel or rebuild two houses and wound up doing the same to four of my own. Remarkable crap the stuff some people do. My favorite is the wiring some clown did at my first house: everything was in 1' pieces, wire nutted together in a chain, and stapled in place. 3 of the four houses I've owned had sinks with unvented drains, betrayed by the "glug glug glug" sound every time you used it.

My dad was so sick of other people's schlock that for his last house, he built it himself: 10' poured walls for his basement, steel frame ( I beam and tube steel superstructure), and was free and clear the day he moved in. He learned that the steel expansion really wreaks havoc on stone floors until he used a rubberized mud and grout that tolerated the expansion.

Scary stuff when your stringers are hanging on by the grace of God. Hope that is the only booby-trap you find.

Was the Builders name Plumb? I been fixing his screwed up remodel of my thrown together 1923 House for the past 29 years. Some of the stuff I have found would scare anyone with any common sense. The good news is in two payments the Mortgage is paid off and the dump is completely ours.

I have 2600 LPs in an area of less then 10 square feet. Talk about some weight.

2600 LP's? You an audiophile?

I lived in a cabin built on the North Fork of Eagle Creek and the guy actually used a glass stubby beer bottle as a level.
He would lay it on it's side, make some pencil marks, then nail the boards, then drink the bottle and then grab another one as the work progressed, mostly in a downhill drunken stupor. Beams over windows/doors with no headers, slanted floors like the House of Mystery and to beat all, he installed all of the galvanized water pipes with no thread compound on the joints, so when the main water line was turned on, all the threads would sprout leaks. The toilet was hooked up to the hot water pipe instead of the cold.
My girlfriend thought that was a neat idea.

Last Edited:
In picture # 5 you have a post almost resting against the stem wall, had it been and the soil removed down to the footing under each post to joist. Using a pressure treated #60 direct burial post, treating the cut and placing some astm 15LB felt under them, a few anchor bolts and a Simpson strap from the post to the joist, you would probably pass code.
Silver Hand

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR