JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My personal take would be no. I don't know that any crime was committed here at all, but I'm not Chicago PD. Is it concerning? A little, not sure why he'd be leaving his guns to be stolen by hotel cleaning ladies.

Jokes aside, it looks bad, but I'm not sure how keen I am on calling this "unlawful use of a weapon" at all.

Well... guns are illegal in the City without a moderately tough to get firearm owners identification card. Though if you are from out of state and have a concealed carry license then you may bring in and carry a firearm. Hes from Iowa, he does have a license there.

They can't prove he was going to be some kind of spree killer, so that will probably get dropped.

Hes stupid, what he did was reckless. What he did is also suspicious, but in the end they can't prove what his intentions were.

I'm sure they'll drop the current charges and stick him with something that has a chance of sticking, like the unsafe storage laws they have.

The article said he violated Illinois law by having firearms in state without a state Firearms Owner ID Card.

But from what I read, non-residents are not required to have an Ill. Firearms Owner ID Card if the may legally possess firearms in their home state. The article said he had a permit in Iowa to legally own firearms. However, when in Illinois, non-residents are required to store their firearms unloaded and kept in a case. So this is where he went wrong from a strictly legal standpoint. That's according to Illinois state law, I don't know about the City of Chicago.

Given the relatively recent rash of mass shootings, given the location in a high rise hotel downtown overlooking popular sites (which on surface seems to mimic the Las Vegas caper), given the nature of a holiday weekend with extra large crowds out and about, my view is that I can understand why law enforcement would take an interest in this on a preventive basis.

It cannot be denied that the suspect was pretty thoughtless about leaving guns laying about openly in his hotel room, at least one of which was loaded. Particularly on a window sill. When he wasn't present in the room and subject to hotel staff coming in.

It might just be that the hotel concerned has a no guns policy and their employees are advised to report any such that they may observe in the course of their duties.

Nd9GcT2Jq300BlYfZAAHnI7vbhQA0gJYpdmXKdvaQ&usqp=CAU.jpg

Given "media" who the hell knows. Now if he really did just take guns there and leave them out? Well play stupid games win stupid prizes. it's not like its hard to search for and find the laws there for guns. Now did he plan on doing something? Again who the hell knows. Bottom line for those who own guns and want to travel. Look up the local laws where you are going. I know when we stay in a hotel we have some guns with us. We DO NOT leave the room with the guns laying about for the cleaning staff to find.

I thought when you were traveling your hotel room/RV etc. became your domicile.
And it's not like he ran out of gas on the highway and dared LE to knock the chip on his shoulder off.

Is this guy one of those dummies' that do stoopid bubblegum that make us responsible gun owners look bad?
He could be one of the Jamoke's that do the "Stoopid tricks with guns" stuff? Not really criminal, but people still get injured or die because of him. And then the rest of us get more restrictions/laws that must be followed.

What are your thoughts on this?

My first thought is he forgot to hang the 'do not disturb' sign on the doorknob.....

I can't imagine it was anything other than that. Hey a simple slip up can certainly open a 'can of worms' - look what a piece of black tape did at the Watergate hotel!

Heck I have had guns in hotel rooms many times however I never left them in plain sight and the 'do not disturb' sign was permanently left on the door knob.

Last Edited:
From the article...
He's been charged with two felony counts of aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, police said.

I guess the word "use" has been redefined?

Actually, I should just wait and see what is presented in court.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....I can remember that time, when someone decided to take up a spot (w/weapons) in a building under construction overlooking Kalakaua Ave. in Waikiki. Mind you that the weapons were never fired or pointed in the direction of people.

Scary situation? Damm right!

And here is another one.

Last Edited:
Keeping the blind, blind is a great tactic. Know nothing reporters keep using scary words like arsenal and cache. They create scary narratives that lead to only one conclusion which almost never happens.

What does happen is the nut that's been on the police, FBI, CIA, Homeland security watch lists just happens to squeak by every time. The crazy felon from California gets a gun without bgc and kills again. Even though he promised the parole board he wouldn't.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top