JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The article said he violated Illinois law by having firearms in state without a state Firearms Owner ID Card.

But from what I read, non-residents are not required to have an Ill. Firearms Owner ID Card if the may legally possess firearms in their home state. The article said he had a permit in Iowa to legally own firearms. However, when in Illinois, non-residents are required to store their firearms unloaded and kept in a case. So this is where he went wrong from a strictly legal standpoint. That's according to Illinois state law, I don't know about the City of Chicago.

Given the relatively recent rash of mass shootings, given the location in a high rise hotel downtown overlooking popular sites (which on surface seems to mimic the Las Vegas caper), given the nature of a holiday weekend with extra large crowds out and about, my view is that I can understand why law enforcement would take an interest in this on a preventive basis.

It cannot be denied that the suspect was pretty thoughtless about leaving guns laying about openly in his hotel room, at least one of which was loaded. Particularly on a window sill. When he wasn't present in the room and subject to hotel staff coming in.

It might just be that the hotel concerned has a no guns policy and their employees are advised to report any such that they may observe in the course of their duties.
An ID card required to exercise our constitutional rights. Who could imagine? 🤔

An ID card required to exercise our constitutional rights.
It's been a law in Illinois since 1968. Interestingly, it's just lately been taken to court as unconstitutional. The case is expected to be heard this Summer. Which is already here but you know how the courts move.

Illinois isn't the only state with such a requirement. Massachusetts has one, you've got to first obtain a Firearms ID card before you can lawfully own a gun. I believe Hawaii and New Jersey also have a similar requirement.

In California, buyers of firearms must have a valid Firearm Safety Certificate before they may buy a gun. Probably other states have a similar requirement, I don't know. Washington state has a kinda Mickey-Mouse "training" and certification requirement for buying any semi-auto rifle.

These things are creeping into the culture.

Did anyone notice in some of the articles they say he had a rifle with a Lazer sight?

Screenshot_20210708-012538.png

Seems to me the guy was most likely planning a mass shooting or wanted to get caught and charged with that. I'd guess the latter. Maybe wanting the attention and notoriety associated with being a mass murderer but not really up for killing anyone. Or maybe struggling with his tendency toward violence and wanting to be stopped. Hard to imagine an ordinary traveller lining up several guns and mags near a window in a hotel , A position perfect for doing such a shooting, and ambling off leaving the guns untended and unsecured and with no Do Not Disturb sign deployed. Seems to me the guy wanted to be caught/stopped.

The Texas Tower Sniper kept a diary in which he asked that his brain be autopsied after his death. And where he recorded his fears of increasing and overwhelming violent thoughts, which he also spoke of to a psychiatrist. He was also suffering from very painful headaches. He turned out to have a walnut sized brain tumor that might have been pressing on the amygdala, the part of the brain associated with anxiety, fear, aggression, etc. Maybe when he went to the psychiatrist, he was hoping to be either helped or stopped. Certainly he was risking being stopped. Those who did the brain autopsy were not sure as to whether the tumor played a role. But we know a lot more about the amygdala now.

It's been a law in Illinois since 1968. Interestingly, it's just lately been taken to court as unconstitutional. The case is expected to be heard this Summer. Which is already here but you know how the courts move.

Illinois isn't the only state with such a requirement. Massachusetts has one, you've got to first obtain a Firearms ID card before you can lawfully own a gun. I believe Hawaii and New Jersey also have a similar requirement.

In California, buyers of firearms must have a valid Firearm Safety Certificate before they may buy a gun. Probably other states have a similar requirement, I don't know. Washington state has a kinda Mickey-Mouse "training" and certification requirement for buying any semi-auto rifle.

These things are creeping into the culture.
Thank you. I'm well aware of the onerous blue state gun laws and was being sarcastic.

No ID required to vote in these same states. Sensing a pattern, I am.

False Flags or copycats. Either way the Mainstream Media is right in the middle of the action. :rolleyes:

If the original contact was just a misunderstanding, the Media will never admit they sensationalized it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top