JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Gun oil

• Don't be cheap buy gun oil that's what it's made for

Votes: 37 71.2%
  • I'm cheap I use motor oil

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • I use a different oil or wax

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • I don't clean my guns

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters
Guns aren't engines. Engine oil has to meet emission requirements which limit the additive packages that can be used in engine oil. In addition, I'm not aware of too many guns that have oil pumps and journal bearings. Conversely, you want gun oil to be creepy, to seep between metal joints and displace water. Insides of engines aren't exposed to much water, and a creepy oil would weep through the gaskets and seals, which isn't what you want in a engine oil.

Gun oil is $5 a ounce cuz you're buying it ounce by ounce. Nothing is cheap in that small of a quantity.

I buy gun oil by the gallon for $35. It's really good gun oil for $0.27 a ounce.

Buy AeroShell Fluid 18 - 1 Gallon - MIL-PRF-32033 at SkyGeek.com

They have CLP too: Buy ROYCO® 634 Lubricant & Preservative - Gallon - MIL-PRF- 63460 at SkyGeek.com

H

Guns aren't engines. Engine oil has to meet emission requirements which limit the additive packages that can be used in engine oil. In addition, I'm not aware of too many guns that have oil pumps and journal bearings. Conversely, you want gun oil to be creepy, to seep between metal joints and displace water. Insides of engines aren't exposed to much water, and a creepy oil would weep through the gaskets and seals, which isn't what you want in a engine oil.

Gun oil is $5 a ounce cuz you're buying it ounce by ounce. Nothing is cheap in that small of a quantity.

I buy gun oil by the gallon for $35. It's really good gun oil for $0.27 a ounce.

Buy AeroShell Fluid 18 - 1 Gallon - MIL-PRF-32033 at SkyGeek.com

They have CLP too: Buy ROYCO® 634 Lubricant & Preservative - Gallon - MIL-PRF- 63460 at SkyGeek.com

H

Synthetic oil is another critter altogether

I use grease, and most any grease will do...even lubri-plate.

Oil runs and doesn't stay put.

Lubri plate was developed specifically for Firearms in cold weather. So its actually one of the best you can use.

I use surplus LSA (military weapons oil) and Lubri plate on all my guns.

As I recall Lubriplate was specified for the Garand during/after the Guadalcanal campaign. Tropical downpours would was the gun oil out of the operating rod cam slot, causing the M1 to seize. Lubriplate resisted washout and kept the rifles running.

Generally speaking, grease is not what you want to use in the cold. Thinner oil is better for colder conditions.

H

I put Tetra gun grease on my slide rails. Used to use Breakfree for general lube, recently switched to Slip 2000 EWL.

Here's a write up from a couple years ago on "Filthy 14" which was only cleaned once but generously lubed with Slip 2000 EWL and ran over 30,000 rounds in Pat Rogers's classes: <broken link removed>

I clean my guns more often than that, but it's nice to know what the product is capable of.

I dunno... I just clean with #9, then CLP. The CLP coats everything pretty well to protect against rust, etc...but its too thin for proper slide lubrication.

I suppose i should look into getting some proper grease for sliding parts... Can anyone recommend a high-quality grease?

Been using full synthetic motor oil without issue for three years.

Ok so heres a question, what about 0 weight synthetic? as a tanker in the army we used tons of synthetic on the 50 up top, but I've never used a 0 weight on my own gear. 0 weight should provide the most protection and the least resistance but Im not sure anyone's tried it.

Frog lube for the win!! Seals, SF and RGR Reg been using it for a while now... No need for CLP or anything else when using it and weapon systems clean up in half the time.
Cheers,
Doc

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews