JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
just curious how often you guys clean your guns. When I was younger, my brother would clean his gun after every firing. But now that I have started shooting in groups I've realized that my friends don't clean their firearms after each outing.

so every time out - every other time - or when you feel like it? :s0155:

Depends. Pistolas get a wipedown after shooting, a cleaning when I feel the need. Shotguns get a wipedown and a spray of Remoil down the barrel after each use. Rifles get a thorough barrel cleaning/scrubbing after each use.

If shooting milsurp corrosive ammo, it gets cleaned as soon as I walk in the door from the range.

Otherwise it depends on how dirty the gun is. WWB can get my 1911 pretty nasty after 200 rounds.... but if I only shoot 50 rounds of cleaner factory ammo, it gets a wipe down and call it good.

My AR gets a wipe down and lube the bolt every outing, but I only pull a snake through the barrel or run a swab through it after 400-500 rounds. I believe you can actually cause more wear on the throat and chamber by over cleaning and scrubbing the barrel every range visit. I've heard of guys scrubbing their barrel after every outing - even if they only shoot 20 rounds. In a situation like that, the cleaning/scrubbing will cause more wear than the shooting!

Short answer: When it looks dirty and gummy, clean it.

Yeah watch out for that corrosive stuff...other than that it depends on the firearm.

My Ruger 25-06 started to show some rust on her from the humidity so I bought a dehumidifier for her. My AK get cleaned "when I have time". lol

cleaning doesn't have to be scrubbing, per se. I rarely use a brass or nylon bore brush. My standard is to use a tight fitting brass jag - I run a few soppy wet Hoppes No 9 patches through, let it sit while I clean the other parts, then another wet patch on jag through the bore, some dry patches, run Weapons Shield patch through, another dry patch, wipe the other stuff with weapons shield, done. :) anyone ever buys a gun from me will know the gun is clean :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top