JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Device
Phone - iPhone
Browser
Other Browser (please specify)
Reactions
I can't stay silent any longer, and must protest.

There aren't enough YouTube videos on this site. Even worse, the few that get posted once every ten years are concise, factual, and free of pot-stirring hyperbole.

Is this a site bug? Does the software have some relationship to this deprivation? How am I supposed to give the governor a harrumph if I didn't sit through at least a dozen hours of fluff content telling me how the sky is falling and how high my blood pressure should go?

Speaking only for myself....
I would like to see all YouTube and the like verboten .
If I wanted to watch You Tube or have some talkin' head tell me what to think...
I wouldn't be here at NWFA...I'd be on You Tube.
Andy

Fwiw re YouTube videos, I think a big help would be:

1) have a really short description of what the video is, rather than post with nothing

2) suggest spots to skip to for specific points so poeple don't have to watch the whole video if they don't have time (if it's just a short then that's not needed of course)

3) post legit, factual, objective sources not goofballs making up stuff just trying to get views ( I know, I know, that's a tough one ha ha).

2 cents...

Speaking only for myself....
I would like to see all YouTube and the like verboten .
If I wanted to watch You Tube or have some talkin' head tell me what to think...
I wouldn't be here at NWFA...I'd be on You Tube.
Andy
I totally agree. Can you, the other moderators and Joe, gather in that secret star chamber you all have going and make this happen?

1) have a really short description of what the video is, rather than post with nothing

2) suggest spots to skip to for specific points so poeple don't have to watch the whole video if they don't have time (if it's just a short then that's not needed of course)

3) post legit, factual, objective sources not goofballs making up stuff just trying to get views ( I know, I know, that's a tough one ha ha).

2 cents...
^^this...

------
I'm fine with citing youtube, but think its ridiculous to expect us to sit thru a[n hour] youtube video just to try to figure out why the person shared it, or to learn it doesn't prove jack sheet about their point. Nobodys gonna waste their time without context.

I think if someone is going to share a youtube, it should be required to include 1 and 2 of the above.

(side note, if one is computer savvy they can set the youtube link to start exactly at the point they are referencing but thats another subject)

2 cents...
This should be the guidelines for ALL externally linked media.

If someone can't take a couple minutes to tell us why the video or article they are linking is relevant or interesting, then I'm not clicking it.

I totally agree. Can you, the other moderators and Joe, gather in that secret star chamber you all have going and make this happen?

IMG_1275.jpeg

I think YouTube and other videos are helpful. As an example I ran across videos showing how to build your own pvs-14 night vision from surplus parts. i posted in a thread in the appropriate sub forum asking if others had done the same. the video was far better at articulating the process than I could have, and frankly there is a TON of expertise on this site by those that do as opposed to those that read it on the internet.

if you don't want to watch them then don't.

Careful here people, there's several very prominent regulars that do exactly as we are talking about multiple times per day. We don't want to offend anyone this close to Christmas.

The inability for some here to just ignore, post, threads, members, youtube videos, etc they don't care for, is mind boggling. I guess some would rather everybody conform to their desires or be damned.

I'm not against external links (after all... I do have the option to click, or not), but do agree with requiring a brief description, and any video source links/articles/court doc for folks to read and draw their own conclusions instead of simply relying on a talking head to highlight and put their own spin on what they feel is relevant to their agenda.

Disallowing I think would have a chilling affect on information sharing. Basically, asking someone to spend their 5 or 10 minutes watching/reading while taking notes, then spending another 15 min trying to type up a spoon fed write up is a lot to ask. (I guess some people prefer info 3rd hand, though?) It seems like a selfish and unreasonable demand on another persons time... and the likely outcome being... it'll be tainted with the members own spin/bias, anyway, and likely dismissed as "TLTR"(?)

Let's not forget too... one of the very first question someone is going to ask is for the source info links.🤣

That's just me though. I don't get the whole, "if you aren't going to spend 20-30 min viewing content and writing up a post to spoon feed me info then I can't be bothered and you should be banned from posting it" mentality.

If a post isn't clear and/or lacks a descriptor sufficient for a person to decide if it's worth wasting their 5min or not.... it's real easy! Skip it!

If you ask me... what should be banned is the common practice of posting simply to interject some non related reference... IE., celebrity/movie/music/TV show quotes/references/images/videos... that I have absolutely no frame of reference or understanding of... but may continue for half a page of posts.:s0140:

**But that's a "me" problem! I've never done TV/movies/music and it would be completely unreasonable and selfish for me to tell others that seem to enjoy that type of 'community' banter and camaraderie to cease and desist solely for my own personal benefit.

Resistance is futile! o_O
I wish members would follow the same practice we do for ads where we don't like the price. Instead of threadcrapping in their ad just move on. I can't imagine it is that difficult to scroll past a YouTube video link in somebody's post.

If a member has so little self control that they can't help but click on every youtube link they come across then maybe the internet is not a good place for them to be.

We need less rules and restrictions, not more. Now I understand how legislators and regulators come up with so many new laws/rules.

Learn how to use the scroll wheel and or ignore buttons and let others be.

My thoughts about the You Tube links have come mostly from being a Moderator.
As a member...yep easy enough to sigh ...and just scroll on past.
However...as a Moderator ....I need to look at damn near all the forum content...scrolling past or ignoring ain't an option.

I agree with the notions of :
A short description of why the link was posted...why it related to firearms / the 2nd Amendment....
And that "time spots " within the video for important information , would be helpful.

What I can't stand is all postings of the stupid chicken little , alarmist , sky is falling videos with little to no information to be had.
Along with the thinly veiled political pot stirring....

Or the vomiting of "information " / opinion about a firearm or firearm related topic...that is simply wrong
As well as if the talking head who presented it was indeed the source of all the "true" knowledge of the topic.

Again...as a forum member...yep easy to skip...
As a moderator...not so easy ...and takes away from the site / the enjoyment thereof.

Something else to consider here :
Like it or not....
What you say and post here at NWFA..as well as how you do things when out and about , in public view and it involves firearms...
Will be seen as how all NWFA members and firearm owners think and act.

We are a open forum...we get all kinds of visitors...many who will think differently than you , me or some You Tube video talking head.
Andy

Last Edited:
Well, we got a pretty good list going so far. What other content do you want banned or restricted? We might as well get it all done at once. Maybe we can get some advice from the old Twitter Management teams on what is and how to weed out the "deplorable" content.

How's about we give the old heave-ho to Memes, all thread sections not strictly related to firearms, Law section because few of us took the BAR exam, etc. We could sterilize this place pretty quick.

My thoughts about the You Tube links have come mostly from being a Moderator.
As a member...yep easy enough to sigh ...and just scroll on past.
However...as a Moderator ....I need to look at damn near all the forum content...scrolling past or ignoring ain't an option.

I agree with the notions of :
A short description of why the link was posted...why it related to firearms / the 2nd Amendment....
And that "time spots " within the video for important information , would be helpful.

What I can't stand is all postings of the stupid chicken little , alarmist , sky is falling videos with little to no information to be had.
Along with the thinly veiled political pot stirring....

Or the vomiting of "information " / opinion about a firearm or firearm related topic...that is simply wrong
As well as if the talking heard presented it was indeed the source of all the "true" knowledge of the topic.

Again...as a forum member...yep easy to skip...
As a moderator...not so easy ...and takes away from the site / the enjoyment thereof.

Something else to consider here :
Like it or not....
What you say and post here at NWFA..as well as how you do things when out and about , in public view and it involves firearms...
Will be seen as how all NWFA members and firearm owners think and act.

We are a open forum...we get all kinds of visitors...many who will think differently than you , me or some You Tube video talking head.
Andy
Firearms and politics are inextricably related.
I will agree your job as moderator is difficult.
The business model of this forum is not an easy one to manage and keep so many different sides of the fence happy.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top