JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
While posting on the"Ramping Up" thread earlier I was remembering some of the wonderful experiences I've enjoyed while hunting.

My favorite's, and this has happened more than once, was out in the water setting up my dekes to draw ducks! It was that twilight time, more dark than light. The water was bright silver and my decoys were just gently bobbing in the slight chop. Then I froze! I could gear the whirring wings of ducks and then the more quiet whisper of set wings as they glided into the water all around me! As exciting as it is it's more beautiful than anything else! Really makes you feel alive!

As a silly aside, one time I watched a duck plow into a deke about three feet to the side! It was a real LOL!!!

So if you would like to share some of your terrific experiences, I and I'm sure others would reading them! SRG

I was hunting east of Prineville and decided to sit still on the edge of a small cliff. As I was sitting there I heard a rustle about 10-ft off and turned to see a Golden Eagle land on a small pine just a few feet away.

A while later I heard a shot from over the ridge. Shortly thereafter a really nice Muley Buck ran just below me at warp speed. There was no time to do anything but enjoy the site.

After all that...not sure how much time passed...something caught my eye about 100yards off and it was the most amazing Rocky Mt. Bull Elk I have ever seen in the wild. I put the crosshairs on him and wondered what it would be like if it were Elk season :)

Some of my most favorite times are sitting quiet and have small animals walk past or crawl over my legs.

This spring while scouting a trail, I walked up on a couple Elk. Moma eating and baby looking at me like I'm the person its ever seen.

Mom sees me and they take off. I figured it would be a great opportunity to try track and stalk tactics amd followed them.

Came around a bend and saw the most magnificant Bull Elk I have ever seen up close (alive) in person.

The first thing I thought was holy cow that thing is huge!

Then, i saw his enourmous rack ontop his head.

Then he dissapeared without a sound into the forest.

If a had had a gun and tag in season, I would have had less the 3 seconds total to shoulder a rifle, aim and fire at a moving target before he was gone.

I learned a LOT that day - and still have a cool little video on my phone of the stalk and seeing that guy.

I hope I get a chance to see him again in the fall when I have my tag and gun on me;).

One of my best experiences was elk hunting up on Mt. Saint Helens, there was 10-12" of snow 2nd day of elk season this is when it started on a Wednesday. I got up by the timber line and I saw the *ss of a elk step into the brush so I started to do a stalk on it and I could tell it was a sm. herd and I'm sneaking through the brush and I go up and over a couple of sm. draws and I know I'm close and by know I'm on my hands and knees just cresting another draw and I start seeing a couple of elk and then I'm seeing several spike then the cows start chirping ( I had never heard that before) and then the chirping is on all sides. Low and behold the sent conditions were just right and I was in the middle of a heard of about 20 elk and I'm following them up the draw and the moment of truth there's a bull standing in the middle of a huckleberry patch but all I could see was two points and there had to be three of coarse by the time I realized it was legal I choke the whole heard took off. Afterwards I just sat there in disbelief what had just took place over the last 45 min. Or so.
That was on a Thursday I spent the whole weekend trying to find that heard again and on Sunday morning my effort paid off caught them crossing a big wash right by were I had prev. Seen them I was just getting ready to shoot the same bull when I seen a bigger one, chased them across a couple big washes and tagged my first elk a nice 4 x 5
That was a fun hunt.
Stacy

I was hoping this somehow involved naked ladies swimming.
Well okay then... (Is a fishing story okay?) Washougal River is in the back yard. Late August. Water is still warm. Salmon beginning to swim up river. From the back yard I can see every wave and every fish as it comes in from the rapids downstream. It's 5:45 am. I grab my pole and head toward the river. Low and behold, what did I see? Yes, naked female fish, but more interesting were the 3 naked ladies swimming! It was the end of their all nighter party. So, I waved. They covered their faces. I smiled. They giggled. Then I went fishing. Guess what I caught? A Jack! Bummer.

Two little ones
I was bow hunting elk out by Bear creek on the 101 towards Forks.I'm walking down the road and the darn pigeons are kinda busting me so I just do some cow calls. I'm about 100 yards off the hiway so I hear the whistle of a semi's turbo coming towards me.
Then I hear some big snorts,something is sniffing to see if it is a cow.Then as fast as the truck came in the truck left and so did the animal. He came and went with the truck
Next was last year seeing my first moose (plural) in the wild. Saw the mom and little one.Then another,but he turned and showed his paddles.
No tag and he was about a half mile away.He stood out real nice all chocolate against the blond hillside

Best time was when I heard... "It's okay if we don't get anything, Dad. It's just great to be out here with you". Darn kid went and choked me all up.

I was deer hunting on my friends farm in the Sandy Oregon area when I came up on a blue heron standing in the shallow end of his trout pond.
I was wearing homemade moccasins and after a slow and careful 15 minute stalk, I had crept up to within 2' of his tail feathers.
He had his wings outstretched and that made some shade on the ponds water, which was drawing in the some little trout.
I slowly moved my Winchester 30/30 barrel up under his tail and then jabbed him in the butt.
It was just like the cartoons when you see a bird literally jump out of their feathers when they've been scared to death.
It must have jumped three feet straight up trying to flap it's wings as hard as it could and all the while trying to look over it's shoulder at what was trying to eat it.
That was way more fun then shooting a deer.

Great thread!

Hunting Whitetail deer on Ft Benning; in the pink area (safety buffer) around the red area (no-go impact area). OK, I may have been in the "violet" area. :D

20 feet up in a Georgia Pine and I take my first Whitetail; dropped him with a .308 w/180 Gr Core-Lokt @ 60 yards at dusk.

By the time the smoke cleared, the wild dogs were already howling in the distance. I decided to take the deer, my tree climber, and all my equipment and make go for my truck which was @ 1/3 mile away.

The trail was narrow, (one doesn't get off the trails in the pink or violet zones). The dogs closed fast, they we're on my tail and flanks; darting in and out of the kudzu. I began firing at them when I was about 50 yards from the truck; I went through both mags with the P89, and the last 3 rounds in the 1st clip on the rifle by the time I reached the driver's door.

By the tine I cranked the truck and turned on the lights, it looked like 8 or 9 dogs were circling me in a frenzy. I jerked the deer over the side and into the truck bed (I was a different man back then), I tossed in my gear, then feeling brave standing by the door; I emptied my last rifle clip into the pack.

I don't think I hit any of them.

Looking back, I could have left something for the dogs to fight over, but I swear, when you're alone in the woods and you hear a pack of wild dogs....you "amp-up" real fast.

Year before last, me and the youngest of my sons were above Timothy Lake and bagged a forked horned blacktail 1.5 hours into opening day. That year we were the guys EVERYONE hates... :D

We didn't get to go hunting last year, but we're planning on going this year to the same area.

While posting on the"Ramping Up" thread earlier I was remembering some of the wonderful experiences I've enjoyed while hunting.

My favorite's, and this has happened more than once, was out in the water setting up my dekes to draw ducks! It was that twilight time, more dark than light. The water was bright silver and my decoys were just gently bobbing in the slight chop. Then I froze! I could gear the whirring wings of ducks and then the more quiet whisper of set wings as they glided into the water all around me! As exciting as it is it's more beautiful than anything else! Really makes you feel alive!

As a silly aside, one time I watched a duck plow into a deke about three feet to the side! It was a real LOL!!!

So if you would like to share some of your terrific experiences, I and I'm sure others would reading them! SRG

Nothing like sitting in the dekes when the sun's starting to rise.

Little Indian Creek, near Aldrich Mtn.
Buck season and no action for anyone.
I was walking a trail and heard thundering hoofs.
Wild horses running down the trail, I froze. They smelled me and zoomed left into some trees.
More thunder, a bull elk! He saw me and halted, but I didn't move.
He chuffed and stomped a hoof. I coughed.
He danced closer, threw his head back and chuffed.
I coughed and stomped my boot once.
His eyes rolled around and he danced closer.
He still doesn't know what I am and he's about 20 feet away now.
I hold my arms out real wide and shout "Hey buddy!"
I swear he almost did a back flip. The horses were watching till I shouted.
Them and the bull beat feet north towards Dayville.
My hunting buddies said It was a near thing the bull didn't stomp me into toe-jam as he was probably in rut.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top