JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have had many days afield hunting and fishing with my young son and we both had fun along the way.
As a few of you here may know I am hearing impaired, one morning on opening day for blacktails we started a to walk down a gravel road knowing deer are close I set him by a stump with a good rifle rest. Explaining to him I will try and push something his way.
I remove my hearing aid & put in my ear plugs. A few seconds later I see a rock fly by me and turned to see my son waving his arms with a funny look on his face.
I walk back to him. He tells me that my hearing aid is squealing loud....... I forgot to turn ithe off......:oops::oops::oops:

I have had many days afield hunting and fishing with my young son and we both had fun along the way.
As a few of you here may know I am hearing impaired, one morning on opening day for blacktails we started a to walk down a gravel road knowing deer are close I set him by a stump with a good rifle rest. Explaining to him I will try and push something his way.
I remove my hearing aid & put in my ear plugs. A few seconds later I see a rock fly by me and turned to see my son waving his arms with a funny look on his face.
I walk back to him. He tells me that my hearing aid is squealing loud....... I forgot to turn ithe off......:oops::oops::oops:
I know the feeling and I don't usually hear when mine squeal!

My favorite was a duck hunt when I was 19 or so. I was hunting by myself on a flooded rye grass field down near Shedd. It was a foggy, foggy morning and visibility was poor. I parked near the inside corner of an 'L' shaped field and hiked out to the creek that crossed it. After 50 or 60 yards I couldn't see my rig, the fence line, the creek, anything. It was kind of spooky as it was a large field and I could have walked in circles for hours out there without hitting anything.

Anyway, I found a flooded spot by the creek and set out my decoys. The only cover was a couple of small logs that had washed into he field during a higher flood. I hunkered down by those and started calling. Now, I'm a mediocre caller and don't usually call too much, but it was so foggy I didn't know how they'd find me without the calling. Pretty soon I hear wings whistling....then they pass. Then wings whistling....then they pass. Then, out of the fog, the silhouettes of ducks dropping in, wings cupped. It was the coolest thing, not like any duck hunt I had ever been on before (or since for that matter). I'd call and listen, call and listen. I never knew where exactly they were, how close they were, or which way they were coming from, they would just appear out of the mist. By the time I could see them, they were easily within range (even for me!). What a fun day that was......

Lots of experiences..

Fishing on the Alsea river when a beaver swam towards me in the water and crawled up into a hole about 1' away from my left foot. I kept fishing and a few minutes later it left the hole and went back into the water. Oblivious I was there apparently.

Went elk hunting a lot when I was younger (33 now). I remember being 15 or 16 and I told my cousin to walk this specific direction and when he hit the slope turn right and meet me at the top of the hill. He beat me to it and kept walking. I got to the top and I saw him about 50 yards away. I started whistling la cucaracha at him and he stopped, turned around and started coming back. He was no more than 10 yards from me when at his 7 o'clock out popped two of the largest bulls I've ever seen from the brush. They stood there like "you whistling at me bro?". It was cow season.

I often times tell my wife I go hunting to be out somewhere and just sit and watch Creation be what it is.

I don't know if anyone can top Cam Ghostkeeper. If you remember his stories you will know. (fun tales they were)

started whistling la cucaracha at him
Isn't it funny how your silly whistle worked when the guys who compete try to make such perfect bugles?
I wasn't hunting but just walking the dogs and they found a herd of cows.I got the dogs to stop trying to bother the elk (the rot didn't exactly understand what she was up against).Then I gave a little whistle,1 whistled back,I whistled,she whistled back,third time she gave me a pretty harsh whistle back and I decided she'd had enough of the intruder.And she had more back up than me

I often times tell my wife I go hunting to be out somewhere and just sit and watch Creation be what it is.
I was hoping this somehow involved naked ladies swimming.

2010 First coastal elk rifle season, joined by the GF. Got in late opening day, spent the afternoon tracking steaming scat on the top of a ridge in the Tillamook.
Pitched the tent that night lower down, it started raining and never stopped. Next morning, our tent was an island in a lake, but we weren't wet. Didn't leave the tent to go hunting until the next day.
When I close my eyes, I can still see her tiptoeing back to the tent without a stitch on, and she smiles as she notices me watching her.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top