JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Dad of rescued family won't take 'church rig' on drive into woods next time

The vehicle, a gold 2008 Chevrolet Uplander van, got stuck on a Mason County logging road southwest of Seattle on Tuesday, just a few hours before Jason and Melissa McAlister were supposed to be back home to meet their older children at the bus stop after school.

Instead, the couple wound up spending two nights in the woods with their baby and toddler as the family fretted and sheriff's deputies drove all over looking for them. Hunters found them Thursday morning as they walked toward civilization.

The family started walking back toward the main road about 1 p.m. Tuesday, but stopped as darkness fell, he said. He made a shelter along the side of the road by leaning fir boughs against a rock face that protected them from the wind as temperatures dropped into the 30s.

"It actually kept us warm, considering I didn't have a fire going," he said.

McAlister said he doesn't smoke, but he usually keeps lighters in his car. Friends who do smoke had borrowed them, he said.

The food, water and clothing sure but Mason County is about as rural as you get on the wet side. There is no cell service there beyond the town or two that makes up the county.

Sort of reminds me of an area of eastern Oregon I used to live in. In the county seat, a little town of 600 or so people, there was cell coverage, but certainly not out in the hinterland. We used CB radios (fine for some purposes) and various amateur radio rigs (better all around) to communicate between vehicles or back to home, if it could be reached. The sheriff's department, at least back then, carried CBs in addition to their own comm equipment.

Last Edited:
Yep, with a minimally equipped auto one could pretty much recreate civilization from scratch.

I usually carry a GECK with me as well. I've had a few occasions where I could have really been screwed when I didn't have enough gear with me in terms of food, water, and shelter. Most recently, I was out in the desert, and after about 90 miles of offroading, the road started getting worse and worse, it took me about 6 hours to clear the next 15 miles, all while it was 110F out at 3am. I didn't have enough food, but I did have water, I really needed more food, and probably extra gasoline.

Yep, with a minimally equipped auto one could pretty much recreate civilization from scratch.
In their defense the article says they have a baby AND a toddler, and I recall what it was like trying to travel with one of each 20-plus years ago. By the time we packed the stroller, car seats, diaper bags etc for anything more than an afternoon jaunt, we were pretty much packed to the gills in the small car we had at the time. No room back then for a BOB, let alone civilization-recreating hardware, had I been so inclined at the time...
Even when I went with my current car with being able to pack a BOB, work bags etc in mind, it's still not leaving me much room for much else....

In their defense the article says they have a baby AND a toddler, and I recall what it was like trying to travel with one of each 20-plus years ago. By the time we packed the stroller, car seats, diaper bags etc for anything more than an afternoon jaunt, we were pretty much packed to the gills in the small car we had at the time. No room back then for a BOB, let alone civilization-recreating hardware, had I been so inclined at the time...
Even when I went with my current car with being able to pack a BOB, work bags etc in mind, it's still not leaving me much room for much else....
Yet on the way home from anywhere you'd magically find space for twenty bags of groceries. I hear you.

A van is most definitely not a rig to be taking into the woods; unless it happens to be 4x4 and lifted and has necessary equipment ;) glad the familys safe...
Even I wouldny take my 2001 Kia sportage 2wd compact much farther than logging roads... although its more qualified than a fwd van...
This is also an excellent reason to have stowage bins in the floor like the Stow-away seat system in the newer vans; or to have custom made stowage bins in some of the seats.... a good reason to go back to hammock style fabrics and thin pads in car seats:cool: although I'm very sure it wouldnt be allowed in newer cars for "safety reasons" :rolleyes:

Wow. Does not everybody carry around in the back of their 4x4 SUV that very necessary 5-7 day SHTF emergency bag(s). I do not think we are that unusual. I hope the lesson was driven home. So many tactical mistakes made. Glad to hear they got out of it OK. Just me. Respectfully.

Having said that, it was only quite recently that we re formatted out Summer Wildfire bug out bags, (vehicle) to the Winter configuration. Less water and bug protection, more clothing and ways to stay dry. The change out should have happened weeks ago, but I am lazy. Shame on me! :(

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top