JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was fortunate enough this last year to move out of the city and into the country. If I find one flying on my property odds it may never fly again.

Rules are pretty obtuse. If it was in the airspace over the owner operators own property there is not a damn thing you can do. It is generally accepted you own some portion of the airspace over your home and property, probably up to the 400 foot elevation that the FAA requires all aircraft to remain above.

Most of the lower end drones or UAV's have very limited range by design, and you can set GPS restrictions on them. Most of the models under $ 2,000 have only 300 foot range laterally and high from the operators, or at least the ones I have been researching.

Had a drone hover over my back yard today. Stopped right above my house, began to move then I motioned like I was racking a shotgun and was going to "shoot" it.. It stopped and turned back around and hovered for another 1.5 mins. I went inside to get my camera and it started to take off.

This is a poor quality picture:
View attachment 254661

Middle of the picture you can see the lights.

Not sure if these have wifi and a direct link or if its recording on an SD card.. Either way it was trippy.

Where was my net gun when I need it?!
Guess Ill go shopping now.
It went out of line of sight, fairly far. Dont know where the operator was, but Ive yet to see it come back or land close by.

Guess its better then being probed?:rolleyes:
They do not seem popular here I seldom see any. It might be because we have an Airport in town maybe that keeps people at parks etc.

just heard on the news this am that the cops are going to start using them for spring break to keep an eye out for law breakers. :cool::eek::eek::eek::D
Also in the news, cadet sign up for the academy in that area has grown ten fold as well as the volunteer sign for the drone program. :)

In this post I advocated taking down drones via a pellet gun or tennis ball cannon, turns out that is a felony and would be a bad thing to do.

I have learned my lesson and apologize for this post.

Last Edited:
Actually, you can be arrested, then be liable for the cost of the F,ing drone. I would get a silenced pellet rifle, they are actually pretty cheap, I would try to find out where the operator was and then try to shoot from a location where the operator would not hear the shot or see you or film you with the drone. Then after you down it, run and hide, then hide the gun.

When Mr. drone operator comes looking for his drone, act like you don't know sh-it about it and if he accuses you of skullduggery such as shooting it down, just deny it and tell him to F-off.

This is messed up, but the law is actually on the drone owner/operators side if you shoot it down. THIS IS BS. So act accordingly so you don't get caught and he can not prove anything. I would spy on the drone while hiding and use binoculars so I could try and tell where it was looking so it would not be filming me while I was holding and pointing a gun at it. Then if Mr. drone operator was far enough away and I had the shot, I would take it down.

See link below, home owner was arrested for shooting a drone down so if you are getting droned, why not just be a devious and underhanded as the sh-itbag drone pilot and take it down in such a way as you will not be found out? That is what I would do.

I would also try and walk up to the drone's rear if you could tell what end of it was the rear so if a cam on it was filming it could not film what you are about to do, then I would stomp it good so it would not be so simple to get it flying again.

If the drone operator found it stomped to pieces and freaked out tell him, looks like it came down hard and ended up broken up pretty bad, perhaps you should have bought a better one eh?

Link to article >> Hillview man arrested for shooting down drone; cites right to privacy

If it was just some stupid 10 yr old, follow him home and talk to his parents. Who knows, he might just get the drone confiscated and a belt applied to his rear.

if it is a teen age or adult operator, they are just being high tek peeping toms so treat em like it and "down that drone".

Just be smart about it so you are not liable if it was one of those stupid expensive drones.

Be smart about the shooting part also so you don't get arrested.

If it is in town, and this is an on-going problem, you might want to build a tennis ball cannon so if you do shoot the thing down the cops would not arrest you for doing it with a tennis ball.

Below is a link to a tennis ball cannon that can shoot 4 balls at once and has a range of 1/4 mile. If I was selling this I would actually come out with a version I called the drone cannon. I bet my "drone cannon" would sell pretty well as I do not think you would get arrested for downing a pesky peeping tom drone with one of these cannons.

Link >> Amazon.com: 1/4 Mile Cannon - Tennis Ball Cannon Launcher Gun: Toys & Games

I have no affiliation with this product, I just thought it was kinda cool.

Found a completely over the top kick butt version of a tennis ball cannon, see link below.

Link>> The Nuker - Propane Tennis Ball Cannon

So you advocate telling how to commit a felony and how you would do it if the drone is being operated by a licensed drone pilot and complying with FAA regulations , or even by an amateur pilot?? You do realize that is a Federal crime ?? You have encouraged about 4 different crimes in one thread, outstanding.

This really has to be one of the most stupid posts I have ever read on here. Advocating breaking the law like you do will get you in a lot of trouble down the road. I don't really think advocating criminal acts is what this forum is about, but hey, do what you want.

So you advocate telling how to commit a felony and how you would do it if the drone is being operated by a licensed drone pilot and complying with FAA regulations , or even by an amateur pilot?? You do realize that is a Federal crime ?? You have encouraged about 4 different crimes in one thread, outstanding.

This really has to be one of the most stupid posts I have ever read on here. Advocating breaking the law like you do will get you in a lot of trouble down the road. I don't really think advocating criminal acts is what this forum is about, but hey, do what you want.

After reading the post below this one, I see it is a felony to shoot down a drone. Lesson learned.

I no longer advocate shooting down drones, sorry for making that post.

Last Edited:
Actually, you can be arrested, then be liable for the cost of the F,ing drone. I would get a silenced pellet rifle, they are actually pretty cheap, I would try to find out where the operator was and then try to shoot from a location where the operator would not hear the shot or see you or film you with the drone. Then after you down it, run and hide, then hide the gun.

When Mr. drone operator comes looking for his drone, act like you don't know sh-it about it and if he accuses you of skullduggery such as shooting it down, just deny it and tell him to F-off.

This is messed up, but the law is actually on the drone owner/operators side if you shoot it down. THIS IS BS. So act accordingly so you don't get caught and he can not prove anything. I would spy on the drone while hiding and use binoculars so I could try and tell where it was looking so it would not be filming me while I was holding and pointing a gun at it. Then if Mr. drone operator was far enough away and I had the shot, I would take it down.

See link below, home owner was arrested for shooting a drone down so if you are getting droned, why not just be a devious and underhanded as the sh-itbag drone pilot and take it down in such a way as you will not be found out? That is what I would do.

I would also try and walk up to the drone's rear if you could tell what end of it was the rear so if a cam on it was filming it could not film what you are about to do, then I would stomp it good so it would not be so simple to get it flying again.

If the drone operator found it stomped to pieces and freaked out tell him, looks like it came down hard and ended up broken up pretty bad, perhaps you should have bought a better one eh?

Link to article >> Hillview man arrested for shooting down drone; cites right to privacy

If it was just some stupid 10 yr old, follow him home and talk to his parents. Who knows, he might just get the drone confiscated and a belt applied to his rear.

if it is a teen age or adult operator, they are just being high tek peeping toms so treat em like it and "down that drone".

Just be smart about it so you are not liable if it was one of those stupid expensive drones.

Be smart about the shooting part also so you don't get arrested.

If it is in town, and this is an on-going problem, you might want to build a tennis ball cannon so if you do shoot the thing down the cops would not arrest you for doing it with a tennis ball.

Below is a link to a tennis ball cannon that can shoot 4 balls at once and has a range of 1/4 mile. If I was selling this I would actually come out with a version I called the drone cannon. I bet my "drone cannon" would sell pretty well as I do not think you would get arrested for downing a pesky peeping tom drone with one of these cannons.

Link >> Amazon.com: 1/4 Mile Cannon - Tennis Ball Cannon Launcher Gun: Toys & Games

I have no affiliation with this product, I just thought it was kinda cool.

Found a completely over the top kick butt version of a tennis ball cannon, see link below.

Link>> The Nuker - Propane Tennis Ball Cannon

EDIT:

I have now become aware it is a felony to shoot down a drone so I no longer advocate shooting down drones.

Lesson learned.

This has to be at least top-5 stupidest bubblegum I've ever seen on NWFA. "Aware" that it's a felony or not.

Hard to believe but I dont want to shoot drones down but I will be damned if I will allow somene to intrude on my privacy. Play the game take your chances.

Even a year later, or however old this thread is... I still can't fathom how anyone has any kind of actual paranoia about this.

Do you think there are just just droves of perverts out there with a collective armada of drones used to sneak peeks at your fat hairy bubblegum taking a dump?

Do not get it.

I've personally never seen a drone hovering around my house, haven't heard of it happening to anyone I know, haven't seen any community alerts about it in my local community feeds, haven't even seen any news articles about it happening regionally or even nationally (though I deliberately avoid "the news," in general).

Tell me how this is a real concern, boys?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top