JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Had a drone hover over my back yard today. Stopped right above my house, began to move then I motioned like I was racking a shotgun and was going to "shoot" it.. It stopped and turned back around and hovered for another 1.5 mins. I went inside to get my camera and it started to take off.

This is a poor quality picture:
image.jpg

Middle of the picture you can see the lights.

Not sure if these have wifi and a direct link or if its recording on an SD card.. Either way it was trippy.

Where was my net gun when I need it?!
Guess Ill go shopping now.
It went out of line of sight, fairly far. Dont know where the operator was, but Ive yet to see it come back or land close by.

On a more serious note, I've been wondering about the feasibility of a high-powered water gun that could reach out in short bursts. Would certainly not be a threat to people on the ground, and my be effective for taking out lower level drones that even a net gun couldn't reach.

On a more serious note, I've been wondering about the feasibility of a high-powered water gun that could reach out in short bursts. Would certainly not be a threat to people on the ground, and my be effective for taking out lower level drones that even a net gun couldn't reach.
How much trouble would one get in if they shot it with a pellet rifle?

How much trouble would one get in if they shot it with a pellet rifle?

I believe that would be almost as bad as a shotgun. You're out in Washington county aren't you? I know some cities around me, such as West Linn, it's illegal to discharge any kind of pellet/BB gun inside the city limits. Not sure what it is out your way. Might be harder to prove, unless they record you doing it.

I'm sure it was a hobbyist/toy. They are gaining popularity and with the built in cams make for a peeping tom's best friend. Blah, drones are just RC toys that hover. Been around for a while. I wouldn't recommend a load of birdshot in city limits.

Thats what I was thinking, it would just be the ordinance Id be afraid of.
& Yep. WaCo.

There has got to be a C02 product out there that would fit the need. Like a spud gun ;)

Even if the record me doing it, I could say my eye sight was bad and I was just playing with my new shirt launcher

I'm sure it was a hobbyist/toy. They are gaining popularity and with the built in cams make for a peeping tom's best friend. Blah, drones are just RC toys that hover. Been around for a while. I wouldn't recommend a load of birdshot in city limits.
No no Id never shoot it with a shotgun.
But if a pellet rifle was ok that would be pretty fun.. However I see the legal ramifications..
So with that said I found these:
image.jpg image.jpg
Dont think there is a law against shooting tennis balls for ole poochie.. Perhaps one just "got away from me"..

I'm gonna be bold.... I don't think drones are being used by "peeping toms." At all.

Does anyone have ANY evidence that this is happening?

I'm gonna be bold.... I don't think drones are being used by "peeping toms." At all.

No not until I see it at window level or until my woman is out back tanning. Its fair game then.
However, there is something about it being right over my back yard and hovering there that makes me irritated.

I was just guessing. I doubt military drones are filming ZA's property. Or I could be wrong. But I really doubt they would have pretty red LED's.

I was just guessing. I doubt military drones are filming ZA's property. Or I could be wrong. But I really doubt they would have pretty red LED's.
Haha, no my tin foil hat is off.
Its a hobbyist no doubt. BUT the level of abuse and perversion with these little flying toys is VERY tempting for some.. If its just passing by, thats not an issue.. But darn it really irked me when it was just sitting there over my back yard.. I can see if it becomes a habit or the operator gets a little bold.. I may have some fun of my own.

What's the "offense?"
Personally, its creepy.
Ill let the operators actions dictate my response. As I said, low flying @ window level or perv hovering while my woman is sun bathing and Ill at least make the operator pick a different voyer spot.

Flying is one thing, hovering over a certain area, especially way low in altitude means this guy may be looking for other things.

Tinfoil hat time: The other worry is, when you can see whats in someones backyard without walking up to it, you can do a little reconnaissance and see if anyone's home and what things might look good in their house or backyard..
Easy scores for the brighter criminal.

If its all in good fun and they operate with respect then Im all for it.. But with that said there are things that to me cross the line.. Seeing it hover there was just too creepy, never experienced that before.
Haha, maybe Ill post a no fly zone sign in big bold letters on my roof and back yard. :D

No not until I see it at window level or until my woman is out back tanning. Its fair game then.
However, there is something about it being right over my back yard and hovering there that makes me irritated.

Uh Huh. Looking at your damn pot crop again, eh? :cool:

Seriously, 90 seconds is a bit much IMO.
Dollar Tree, cheap balloons, fill with water to ~1 to 1.5" diameter. Wrist rocket.
30 years ago, a friend had one of those with 4' of surgical tube and a 6x4 pocket. We would send water balloons (3" or so) into the doorways of neighboring shops in the business park, 200 yards or more away.

What's the "offense?"

Potentially, trespassing. I've been trying to do some research on the private property implications. From what I've found so far, it appears that in the U.S., private property rights are generally considered to extend 500' above ground level. If that's true, you could be violating private property laws by flying a drone in that space.

I suspect this will be tested in the courts in the not too distant future. Heck, it may even make it to SCOTUS.

As it is, I can think of no legitimate reason for anyone to fly these, in particular, hovering over someone's property without their permission. A homeowner should not have to be put on the spot to try and determine the intent of the drone's operator. I believe as strongly in private property rights as I do the 2nd amendment. People need to respect the private property rights of others.

Last Edited:
Uh Huh. Looking at your damn pot crop again, eh? :cool:

Seriously, 90 seconds is a bit much IMO.
Dollar Tree, cheap balloons, fill with water to ~1 to 1.5" diameter. Wrist rocket.
30 years ago, a friend had one of those with 4' of surgical tube and a 6x4 pocket. We would send water balloons (3" or so) into the doorways of neighboring shops in the business park, 200 yards or more away.
I like the way you think fella.
Yeah, 90 seconds wasnt long, but it got me thinking.. And thats a dangerous thing ;)
But really, it just creeped me out. Just hovering there, especially turning around and rehovering there.. Just rubbed me the wrong way.. Some water ballon idea is a heck of a lot cheaper and still effective.
Like I said earlier.. His actions will dictate mine. Could be nothing.. But now that its in my back yard its more real.. I never thought about it until this eveing.. Something intrusive about a flying object right above your castle, just hovering there.. Watching you.. Aaaaand my tinfoil hat is back on. :rolleyes: Haha.

Ok - I used to build and fly RC planes but those were pretty much a 'line of sight' issue in which you had to see it to maintain control. If a drone is out of sight of the pilot then it is obviously being used to 'look' at something - otherwise what would be the reason to fly it out of sight? From what I see drones are not model replicas of real aircraft, cannot emulate their maneuvers and are not kit or custom built by their owners. The fact they have a camera on them suggests they were designed for one reason only - to fly out of range of the pilot to view and record images.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top