JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I agree with the personal privacy issue. I see it as the same as a perv eyeballing my wife in the bathroom. If I catch the dude on my property, he is getin the cops called, right after I subdue him into compliance. Unfortunately the use of a remote means of observation has different requirements that must be met before action can be taken! I understand the wish to be left undisturbed and these drones make that less and less likely each day, until some one defines restrictions and enforces them, you and I must be made to suffer to honor some one else's rights!

Since most drones of any size are now required to be registered with the government, and display a registration number, just like a plane. If I suspected someone was intentionally hovering over my property to observe me, my family, etc., I would grab my best camera with my best zoom lens and try to get either a good photo or video of the unit so I could get the registration number. Once I get that, I report it to the FAA and let them go after the operator. Probably about the best you can do unless you want to incur the wrath of the government yourself.

I really think this is, for the most part, a non-issue that will happen, but in very limited circumstances.

Earlier this year, a woman knocked on our door asking if she could look around our property. A brand new drone got away from her husband on its first flight. Rather than returning home like it was supposed to, it kept going, transmitting GPS coordinates until it 'disappeared'. The GPS showed it went down somewhere near my house. We looked around for about 20 minutes, up in the trees, on the roof and on the ground - no sign of it. No idea if they ever found it. Sounds like it was spendy too - something like $600. Maybe he should have invested in a gun instead...:rolleyes:

Pretty easy solution here I don't plan to look for trouble and certainly hoping to never find it. I will deal with the problem if it ever happens in a manner I determine to be appropriate. Thank you all for letting me understand the repercussions and your concerns. I certainly do not plan or want to hurt anyone but I will be damned if I let someone invade my privacy. I have managed to live a lawful life and hope to continue that endeavor. I am amazed at the lack of understanding of personal rights such as the inability to understand that everyone should have personal privacy.
Enough said.

Can you site some source for this sovereign "right to privacy" you're ranting about?

I suspect you have a view of a "right" that might not actually exist in the way you picture it

Can you site some source for this sovereign "right to privacy" you're ranting about?

I suspect you have a view of a "right" that might not actually exist in the way you picture it
So your saying I dont have a right to privacy is that what your saying? I need to mske sure I undetstand you?

Lol
Since most drones of any size are now required to be registered with the government, and display a registration number, just like a plane. If I suspected someone was intentionally hovering over my property to observe me, my family, etc., I would grab my best camera with my best zoom lens and try to get either a good photo or video of the unit so I could get the registration number. Once I get that, I report it to the FAA and let them go after the operator. Probably about the best you can do unless you want to incur the wrath of the government yourself.

I really think this is, for the most part, a non-issue that will happen, but in very limited circumstances.

Earlier this year, a woman knocked on our door asking if she could look around our property. A brand new drone got away from her husband on its first flight. Rather than returning home like it was supposed to, it kept going, transmitting GPS coordinates until it 'disappeared'. The GPS showed it went down somewhere near my house. We looked around for about 20 minutes, up in the trees, on the roof and on the ground - no sign of it. No idea if they ever found it. Sounds like it was spendy too - something like $600. Maybe he should have invested in a gun instead...:rolleyes:
Lol, Cops wouldn't come for 4+ hours (cancelled call, couldn't wait forever) when a tenant attacked me. Not gonna do much about drone registration or lack of 15 point font id numbers.

Lol

Lol, Cops wouldn't come for 4+ hours (cancelled call, couldn't wait forever) when a tenant attacked me. Not gonna do much about drone registration or lack of 15 point font id numbers.
Cops and FAA Enforcement are two diferent animals... the latter LIVE for getting a chance to ruin somebody's day and enrich the Administration's coffers at some hapless airman's expense on the slightest pretext. That vicious predatory nature can be made to work FOR you if you know how to exploit it properly...

I don't think there is a right to privacy, or a right to anything else for that matter. But if I can get to my gun I am still going to shoot a drone down, if it's obviously snooping around. It's just the way I am.

honestly most drone guys are flying just for the fun of it. Multi-rotors are fun to fly especially FPV at the speeds they do. With the extreme sophistication of these drones if someone was using them for nefarious activities you probably wouldn't know it, let alone catch the operator.

unless its close forget about shooting it down.

the guy whos drone drifted into your property, probably didn't calibrate his gps system correctly during pre flight which allowed the platform to stay at vertical height (w/ a slow rate of decent to prevent catastrophic damage) while drifting on the horizontal wind current. Eventually coming to a stop on the ground.

Lol

What @Diamondback said - I said FAA, not the cops. As a former private pilot, I can tell you, the FAA does enforce their rules - helps them get more $$. I wouldn't bother with the cops on a drone issue.

This has to be at least top-5 stupidest bubblegum I've ever seen on NWFA. "Aware" that it's a felony or not.

Beckerich, you are clearly in the top five stupidest people on this forum and just an out and out bully.

Read the bottom part of what you quoted. I said: I have now become aware it is a felony to shoot down a drone so I no longer advocate shooting down drones. Further I advocated tennis balls being used, but again when you can't read, not surprised you missed that part.

Learn to read and stop being a bully, it only makes you look dense and mean, not like a big man.

People, don't shoot down drones, but if you are going to shoot down a drone, do it safely, be sure your tennis balls will land in a safe location etc. But maybe the best advice, don't over react and shoot one down on the first offense, it might be a simple mistake on the part of the drone operator so be considerate before you commit that felony.

Last Edited:
What @Diamondback said - I said FAA, not the cops. As a former private pilot, I can tell you, the FAA does enforce their rules - helps them get more $$. I wouldn't bother with the cops on a drone issue.
Let's put it this way, to give an illustration of what etrain and I are talking about, these are people that make you literally take it up the arse--as in Full Rectal Exam--as part of a flight physical, just because They've Got The Power, even with no real medical justification I can see.

Let's put it this way, to give an illustration of what etrain and I are talking about, these are people that make you literally take it up the arse--as in Full Rectal Exam--as part of a flight physical, just because They've Got The Power, even with no real medical justification I can see.

I also used to encounter the random FAA thug roaming around the flight line just to check your personal log book - make sure you have it on you, make sure your endorsements were up to date, etc. Seemed to be no problem to get the FAA involved in any minor infraction - they seemed to have lots of time to chase that stuff down. For me that was almost 30 years ago, but I imagine it hasn't changed much since then.

And the physicals, yeah, they liked to go deep on those :eek:

I also used to encounter the random FAA thug roaming around the flight line just to check your personal log book - make sure you have it on you, make sure your endorsements were up to date, etc. Seemed to be no problem to get the FAA involved in any minor infraction - they seemed to have lots of time to chase that stuff down. For me that was almost 30 years ago, but I imagine it hasn't changed much since then.

And the physicals, yeah, they liked to go deep on those :eek:
Think they'd keep their creds if they were required to endure the same crap as they make us deal with? *evil grin*

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top