JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, I was farting about on the Corbon site (largely due to this mental tangent) and I noticed they own and sell the Glaser Safety Slug line. I remember them being proffered as some sort of death-ray back in the day (late 80s/early 90s), but haven't seen much in the way of coverage in recent decades. Which leads me to suspect "meh".

So, what's the scoop? Well meaning, but ultimately unhelpful, gimmick? Or, contrary to this notion, a very effective cartridge that isn't getting enough press? What say you? Enjoy!

Have carried them. Would seem to be good for home defense/lack of wall penetration. Never been shot with one. .44 caliber might do the trick, huh?
I also have .44 and .45 Velet exploding bullets from the 70s. A curiosity, mostly.

Once deadly bullets got bad press you don't see them much anymore. Like Black Talons, the media went after the best bullets and had them removed.

I seem to recall in my fading memory that glazer rounds did pretty good in the goat kill test. Back in the days they were trying to find the best one shot stop in each caliber.

There was another company called Magsafe that outshines glaser.

Recall having some of these back in the 80's in 9mm, a copper hollow point containing several shot pellets and a polymer tip, blue if I recall correctly. Stout recoil and an impressive fireball accompanied their ignition.

Recall them being sold in blister cards of six rounds, they sure weren't cheap either…

New in the package! The latest thing!

IMG_2476.JPG

And had significantly higher muzzle velocities as well. I recall them being essentially a copper ring, full of shot, and sealed with a polymer tip. Want to say they were light for caliber too, contributing to their muzzle velocity.

Pre-fragmented or frangible bullets were made of compressed powered lead that would be pulverized upon hitting a hard surface, eliminating penetration and ricochet. On human targets they would typically just drill a hole, which has proven not to be great at stopping those who do not wish to be stopped. Glasers and Mag-Safe ammo are an attempt to make a pre-fragmented bullet to be somewhat capable at stopping threats for security forces working in high treat facilities such as chemical and nuclear where penetration from a conventional round could be a very bad day for more than those involved in the gunfight. Bottom line, that type of ammo lacks penetration (a key component to SD ammo) and since I'm not security for such facilities you will not find any of that stuff in my gun.

At one time I owned a Ruger Security Six and I shot it a lot....with many different types of .38 Special and .357 Magnum rounds.

I shot some Glaser Safety Slugs and found that from my revolver , muzzle flash was very bright , and the noise of firing was extremely loud.
Paper and casual tin can accuracy was good , penetration of various targets ( to include the dirt berm behind the targets ) not so good. ( Shallow when compared to other .357 Magnum bullets )

My Ruger with its 4 inch barrel shot them well...the shop where I worked at , used a 70's vintage Colt Python with a 6 inch barrel as a shop gun....and the Colt didn't like 'em at all , no matter who shot it with the Glaser's....
Accuracy suffered and the flash / noise was a bit much with the Colt.
( Not saying that the Colt sucked...just that it didn't like the Glaser's )
Andy

I can tell you that they improve the performance of the .25acp significantly. I had to end the life of two of my dogs and it was immediate. I didn't expect so much blood though. I also keep several blister packs with .38 Super and 9x19 for serious work.

Stuck my toe in that pond once after getting several boxes of MagSafe Swat 44 magnum rounds as part of a trade. It shoots a 55gr bullet that's basically just a jacket filled with yellow epoxy and bird shot at a claimed velocity of 2500fps. I loaded a single round in my Ruger and let it fly. Recoil was stout but not overly so, and from there it was all down hill. The muzzle blast was incredible. The cylinder had to be forced open because the excessive pressure had extruded part of the primer into the firing pin hole and the spent case had to be pounded out with a rod. Been content to stick with my own handloads ever since.

You're my hero, actually having an example with the original packaging and price tag. Kinda pricy back in the day at over $2.00/round.

Like the statement on the back of the package indicating the LEAA finding that the 9mm version was equal in power to a conventional .44 Magnum JHP :eek:
The company president, when asked if they employed promotional hyperbole, answered
"Mayyyyyyyybeeeeeeee..."

I think they may have been speaking of 'chronological stopping power' rather than instantaneous.

I see that Glaser is alive and well under Cor-Bon's tutelage - if not still very pricey.

In theory they were supposed to be great for expansion and the shot penetrating the cavity was supposed to be a threat stopper.

In real life they perform poorly, compared to a regular well constructed JHP.

More of a gimmick than useful...

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top