JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Norma is selling the idea of vaned, non-expanding bullets. One of the most well-known and reputable of all the makers offering such.

I thought glaser represented the extreme of nonpenetration. Good for situations where not penetrating beyond the target is more important than having enough penetration to do the job. Such as on an airplane, where a shot that goes thru bad guy and plane chassis might puncture and drain the plane's hydraulic system and eliminate control over flaps, etc.

it's totally fine that you didn't catch the reference.

you had to be of a very specific era in defensive firearms to understand.

:)
Well I've been around since before they were invented and did once have a history of how they were developed and why. Originally specifically for police officers, sold to the public later. And since then the company has changed hands (probably several times) seeing as Jack Cannon died some time back. I was in my early 20s when the Glaser appeared and fresh out of the Army. As for the goat, never heard of it.

I thought glaser represented the extreme of nonpenetration. Good for situations where not penetrating beyond the target is more important than having enough penetration to do the job. Such as on an airplane, where a shot that goes thru bad guy and plane chassis might puncture and drain the plane's hydraulic system and eliminate control over flaps, etc.
That is how I remember it. Emphasis on home defense.

Penetration is limited by design. But imagine in a Mozambique drill if the body hits were ineffective, what the 3rd round to the face woud do. A hit in the face very often stops the fight as it redirects the perp's attention. In their felonious activities, they expect to dominate and when shown that they do not (through sudden plastic surgery), there is a much higher likelihood that they will fold.

With absolute certainty? No, but what outside of D&T is?

Recall them being sold in blister cards of six rounds, they sure weren't cheap either…
When they were the latest thing, I didn't have the spare money to buy them. Circa 1980? Before that, the latest and greatest was Super Vel. Which I had a couple of (small) boxes of, I could afford those before I got married.

Here is something vintage along that line that I found at a gun show years ago:

P4061563.JPG

P4061564.JPG

This is one that the plastic nose cone fell off of:
P4061565.JPG

I've never fired any of these. They were made in (Republic of) South Africa, loaded into IMI brass.

This is what I have herd as well .

Penetration is limited by design. But imagine in a Mozambique drill if the body hits were ineffective, what the 3rd round to the face woud do. A hit in the face very often stops the fight as it redirects the perp's attention. In their felonious activities, they expect to dominate and when shown that they do not (through sudden plastic surgery), there is a much higher likelihood that they will fold.

With absolute certainty? No, but what outside of D&T is?
I never saw anybody take a bullet in the face without it stopping them right there. We were trained, however, to shoot at anything the opposition neglects to put behind reasonably robust cover. Getting a 7.62x51 bullet through the foot can be a reminder that body shots are often superfluous. In one two-way target shooting competition in South Armagh a while back, one of the opposition DID get shot through the foot whilst attempting to hide the rest of his body. He instantly tried to stand up and as a result collected around thirty shots from the Home Team. 'That'll teach 'im, the ****er', came from one wit in the squad. Indeed, he would probably have survived the foot injury, but not the subsequent cunningly applied holes courtesy of Her Majesty's Second Parachute Regiment.

this is the first mention I've seen of Glaser in decade or 2
No kidding! That's basically what I thought when I saw the thread title.

The "Safety" part was lack of penetration beyond the subject. Weren't supposed to penetrate sheetrock.
I remember that Federal had something (Guard Dog ?) that wasn't supposed to be an over penetrator. Don't recall seeing that stuff for ages, either.

I like to try stuff, but the price of Glaser ammo way back when was too much for me.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top