JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I noticed some literature in an ammo dealers site referring to Aquila 12g slugs being used in semi SG's with gunsmith mods.

Has anyone tried this with success ?

"For use in pump-action or semi-automatic shotguns, these small rounds may not load correctly without proper gunsmith modifications due to their small size. The slugs themselves have smooth outer walls and can be utilized in smoothbore barrels and rifled barrels."

Taken from Brownells site (see post # 7). I am assuming that the "Mod's" referred to are more than the "Opsol" adapters.

"

Last Edited:
They make an "adapter" for some of the big name pumps to make these work fine. Now in a semi? I have to "guess" a gun would have to be designed so as to have some kind of user adjustment to make them work. In pumps I hear they are great. Lower recoil and more ammo in the mag.

As I mentioned above, I have to believe that there is something else going on than just the Opsol rubber adapter. If that were true, semi's all over creation would already have them installed. (And you wouldn't have a chance of finding mini-shells anywhere).
The description from that Brownells write-up (post # 7) mentions a "gunsmith modification".
It sounds like someone has come up with a mod of some sort.

Last Edited:
They can be made to work in them, yes, if you mean the pumps.Some pumps will feed them from the get go. Others need an adapter. I have not yet seen an auto that does. Be kind of nice if they could make one work with them.
I saw that opsol adapter for mossbergs but a little light google-fu didn't seem to show anything for "real" american made pump actions (870's). It does seem pretty clear 870's won't run reliably as is, but haven't found any type of mod or adapter for them, yet (if they exist).

🤭 Stirring the pot has great entertainment value.

Last Edited:
Install @ 3:56ish. Looks dummy simple. Betting you could 3d print one for pretty much any shotgun.
It only works for mossbergs. Pretty much any other shotgun has a full length elevator. Mossbergs have that itty bitty thingy and the remainder is fully open.

It only works for mossbergs. Pretty much any other shotgun has a full length elevator. Mossbergs have that itty bitty thingy and the remainder is fully open.
Hmm I'll have to go re familiarize myself with my "itty bitty thingy" I don't remember. But I WAS kinda wondering trying to test my recall.
-Spoiler it didn't in work-
Kinda weird that Mossberg's have an abbreviated elevator when all the others don't. My 870 certainly racked a lot smoother than the 500 but I'm glad I kept the 500. I do miss the 870 from time to time though. Was fantastic for a $100 shotgun.

870 vs 500
1663780467190.png
1663780494002.png

870... no place to shtick a cork in it..... like the opsol.

Yeah that's right, and those 870 get shell lock or whatever too. Which is kinda interesting. And a total PITA from what I've heard. I guess the Mossberg's side pins can pop out when dropped. Which is a easy fix.
I've heard of shell lock happening, but of the 4 I have, and going back (I won't date myself)... "awhile"... I've never had it happen on mine. Maybe other people didn't spank their 870's hard enough the first time it happened to them?? ;)

Install @ 3:56ish. Looks dummy simple. Betting you could 3d print one for pretty much any shotgun.
I don't think 3d printing would work, unless there is some sort of rubber-flexible molding media out there that I haven't heard of.
On the Opsol, there is a square body with a little flap doo-hicky projecting out towards the chamber. The flap acts like a spring loaded gate that permits one shell to pass when loading. After the shell is on its way to the chamber, the flap springs back preventing a second round from entering battery.
All that being said, the 870 has an extra movement that screws up the chambering gestalt.
Never bothered me using Mossy's to this point. 870's always give me flashbacks from when I had to qualify with them.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews