JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I take it you haven't spent time in Louisiana
lived down there when my father was stationed at Barksdale in the '60s
lots of kids in high school ate raccoon
was working in Rayville, LA just last year
the people at the hospital told me they still eat possum and raccoon stew

rjmt

Yep, definitely Louisiana... Cajun food...

You must keep in mind though, cajun coons are better tasting than PNW coons...:D

Racoon isn't bad eating...depending on what the coon has been feeding on...:eek:
I hunted them with my Granddad a lot when I was growing up.
That said I do not hunt them now...

We do get some big ones around here at times...
Big as in the 25-35 pound range.
Andy

In my days of dealing with raccoons, especially the bigger ones, I just gave them the old "Sheridan tattoo" on the forehead. Worked every time.
Then go back to bed and take care of the mess in the morning after I'd had my coffee.

498A9AB5-FD6B-45C7-A9DB-301812012BE2.jpeg This is how I find racoon's In the yard after my Akbash meet them......

Yep, definitely Louisiana... Cajun food...

You must keep in mind though, cajun coons are better tasting than PNW coons...:D

must be all those crawdads they eat. Another Louisiana food I just never acquired a taste for - boiled crawdads
kids in highschool used to bring them for lunch
I fished for crawdads with the neighbors - find the darkest, slimiest, smelliest hole you can in a bayou, put raw bacon on a string and your all set

rjmt

must be all those crawdads they eat. Another Louisiana food I just never acquired a taste for - boiled crawdads
kids in highschool used to bring them for lunch
I fished for crawdads with the neighbors - find the darkest, slimiest, smelliest hole you can in a bayou, put raw bacon on a string and your all set

rjmt
Crawdads are great from our clean western waters. I know a family that makes a good living commercial fishing for them in the Sacramento area.

I take it you haven't spent time in Louisiana
lived down there when my father was stationed at Barksdale in the '60s
lots of kids in high school ate raccoon
was working in Rayville, LA just last year
the people at the hospital told me they still eat possum and raccoon stew

rjmt
Did not know that, had heard about people eating Possum but until that story here in the local news had never known of the eating of Racoon.
We have or had Possum here too. Have not seen one in a while. Years ago when we first got the dogs a young one came in one night through their door. I was walking to bath and glanced up and saw it laying on the window sill above the Computer. It was holding so still I thought at first it was a stuffed animal until I saw the eyes move to follow me. How the dogs had not noticed and raised hell I don't know. I used one of those pick up tools to pick it up and dropped it on the other side of the back fence. Next night it was back again, same damn spot. So over the fence. I bought a Havaheart trap the right size and set that in that spot with some cat food. A couple nights later I heard it snap closed. Came out to find the thing in there. Got in the car and drove down to a green belt a mile or so down the road which is I assume where these critters all come from and let it out.

Giant sloths lived here in Oregon up until 10,000 years ago.. for about 10 million years. they weighed around a ton and it is generally conceded that primitive man wiped them out with Ruger 9mm carbines.. lol on that last bit of course
Megalonyx - Wikipedia

800px-Megalonyx_jeffersonii_-_Natural_History_Museum_of_Utah_-_DSC07263.jpg

Used to raise chickens and quails in my backyard. Found some quails missing their heads. Later found out that there is a possum that came for chicken and quail food. Didn't use gun but managed to kill that possum and few more with a rod. They look evil.

We had a possum for a pet , when I was a kid...I could take her on walks with the dog...she was cat boxed trained...and really caused some double takes when she was out in the yard and on walks...:D
Andy
Being raised in Spokane and northern Idaho, I had never seen one until training in the south and being stationed in Southern California......I lived in the middle of a huge citrus orchard in a small house. The dogs would bring them home. Nasty creatures, they were always covered in lice and ticks. We did keep porcupines as pets in Spokane and the neighbor had a skunk. I was the director of the nature lodge at camp Cowles for many years and kept lots of critters in the summers. Now we see possum walking the streets here in Weiser at night. Are they indigenous to the Oregon and Washington coast or an invasive species?

Last Edited:
Being raised in Spokane and northern Idaho, I had never seen one until training in the south and being stationed in Southern California......I lived in the middle of a huge citrus orchard in a small house. The dogs would bring them home. Nasty creatures, they were always covered in lice and ticks. We did keep porcupines as pets in Spokane and the neighbor had a skunk. I was the director of the nature lodge at camp Cowles for many years and kept lots of critters in the summers. Now we see possum walking the streets here in Weiser at night. Are they indigenous to the Oregon and Washington coast or an invasive species?

Technically they are an Invasive species Argonaut...

A few years back, the Portland police had an ongoing kill count derby for possums that the graveyard patrol cops would run over on purpose.
If a cop managed to flatten one he would call in a special code over the radio for another patrol car to join him and confirm his score card.
Seems some do-gooder caught on to their antics and shut down the possum derby.

when I first moved to Oregon in '81, I asked about that - being familiar with them from Louisiana
I was told by animal control that a hunting club has imported them into Oregon for controlled hunts
it appears more than a couple mating pairs escaped - have now spreed over Oregon and Washington

rjmt

Well, my dogs kill and dismember raccoons. Female distracts while the male latches on from behind. Makes a big mess. Part of the reason I love having big Olde English Bulldogges. The male carries a few scars from 1 though. 150 pounds of ornery bulldogge working together is quite impressive.

Well, my dogs kill and dismember raccoons. Female distracts while the male latches on from behind. Makes a big mess. Part of the reason I love having big Olde English Bulldogges. The male carries a few scars from 1 though. 150 pounds of ornery bulldogge working together is quite impressive.

I need one of those I had an English RIP and well he would maybe attack a steak :D great dog to be honest I am looking for another...............my Frenchie I have now well she thinks she is tough....

A few years back, the Portland police had an ongoing kill count derby for possums that the graveyard patrol cops would run over on purpose.
If a cop managed to flatten one he would call in a special code over the radio for another patrol car to join him and confirm his score card.
Seems some do-gooder caught on to their antics and shut down the possum derby.

Portland police got in a lot of trouble with one yo as I remember.

Racoon isn't bad eating...depending on what the coon has been feeding on...:eek:
I hunted them with my Granddad a lot when I was growing up.
That said I do not hunt them now...

We do get some big ones around here at times...
Big as in the 25-35 pound range.
Andy
I have a tuxedo cat on par with that...

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR