JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't doubt it.
When she kills her next one, for the photo op, hang it from a tree and start the club, "coon lives matter."

Used to have coons eating my cat's outdoor cache of food. Put an end to that one.
A whole family of them live in the Coastal Redwood beside my old house, where my ex and kids still live. They would crap at the base, some of the turds were almost the size of my Golden Retriever's.
Living in Michigan, one threatened the grandma of a friend, parked on top of her garbage and snarling. She called the police, they came out, emptied a 38 revolver into it and it was still moving. @rmjt, that's one of the "stories" from the '70s where there were no photos and no reason to doubt. We had all seen huge coons, 20#+ 'possums, and rats approaching 9#.

I guess I'm just from the old generation
back in the day, we would hear a story and envision it in our minds
you younger Internet and youtube generation need a cell phone video to visualize any situation
not being rude - just commenting
back in the day - we would sit around the camp fire or NCO club telling true stories of our exploits
there was no one around with a video camera to document the experience, but it was vivid in our minds
my father was a career military officer, fought in 3 wars, I spent many a night listening to battle stories from him and his friends
never once was there of video of that time he power dived a B-24 over France to escape that ME 210 night fighter, but not one person ever doubted it happened
then there was that Mig over North Korea - but he had a scar to show for that one!!
luckily my daughter does not have a scar to show her encounter with that giant Raccoon - just a memory

rjmt
There was that time I saw a huge UFO overhead....

Here' a story. A friends family had a house with a creek on the property. Family of coons used the creek. They thought how cute let' put food out for them . Short story, after 4 generations of coons the babies would come eat out the hands up on the patio. Someone left the screen open and they came home to find 8 of them tearing up the house.
Probably didn't leave the screen open, they just busted through it.

are-you-not-entertained-meme-com-12069313.png

Why yes...yes I am! Great story!! :s0139::s0139:

I believe it!

Anybody curious as to the optic?
Is that an acog on a Ruger 10/22?

that's an old Bushnell holographic 1X - don't think they make them any longer
has both red and green dot - use the green at night
been mounted on that Ruger for about 15 years - crazy accurate out to 100 yds
from rabbits to raccoons to coyotes and possum, a 10/22 loaded with mini mags has been our door gun for years
since an M1 carbine was the first rifle I ever fired, that stock is just second nature to me.
I'd load up this forum if I posted photos of every creature I shot with that Ruger.

rjmt

Little known fact.. a cross between a rat and a raccoon is known as a rattoon and the word is derived from

rac·on·teur
[ˌräˌkänˈtər]
NOUN
raconteurs (plural noun)
  1. a person who tells anecdotes in a skillful and amusing way.
    synonyms: storyteller · teller of tales · spinner of yarns · narrator · anecdotist · anecdotalist

absolutely true story

I was pheasant hunting a local release sight a couple years ago and both dogs went on tree-point. Started looking up and who do I see but Rocky Racoon! Now this one was good sized, clearly been eating pheasant, from the feathers at the tree base. Took four 1 1/4 oz #5 bismuth shells to drop him out of the tree. Tough old basterd. Weighed 25lbs on the bathroom scale. Still have that coonskin cap!

We used to keep our dog food in 32 gallon plactic trash can. It had handles that flipped up over the lid to it closed. It was on the back deck (second story). One night the dogs wanted to go out, or so we thought. We were getting ready to climb in bed, so not clothed or armed. Hubby turned on the deck light before opening the slider and discovered close to a dozen raccoons on our tiny (8x8) deck. They had pulled over the can, unlatched one handle and torn out the 1 inch center plug in the lid. We live on the outskirts of Kingston and technically there is no shooting allowed in Kingston or in the neiborhood. However, the neighborhood is within the boundaries of Port Madison Reservation. Hubby happened to have some firecrackers (perfectly legal on the Res) so he cracked the slider just enough to get his hand through. He lit the firecrackers and tossed them out into the middle of the deck. At least two of the coons fell off the deck rails to the yard below. The rest scampered down the stairs. We have since moved the dog food to smaller indoor stackables. None were in the yard the next day.

Last Edited:
We used to keep our dog food in 32 gallon plactic trash can. It had handles that flipped up over the lid to it closed. It was on the back deck (second story). One night the dogs wanted to go out, or so we thought. We were getting ready to climb in bed, so not clothed or armed. Hubby turned on the deck light before opening the slider and discovered close to a dozen raccoons on our tiny (8x8) deck. They had pulled over the can, unlatched one handle and torn out the 1 inch center plug in the lid. We live on the outskirts of Kingston and technically there is no shooting allowed in Kingston or in the neiborhood. However, the neighborhood is within the boundaries of Port Madison Reservation. Hubby happened to have some firecrackers (perfectly legal on the Res) so he cracked the slider just enough to get his hand through. He lit the firecrackers and tossed them out into the middle of the deck. At least two of the coons fell off the deck rails to the yard below. The rest scampered down the stairs. We have since moved the dog food to smaller indoor stackables. None were in the yard the next day.
Raccoons in Portland aren't afraid of firecrackers, tried it. They just watch, so you need a baseball bat or axe...

Raccoons in Portland aren't afraid of firecrackers, tried it. They just watch, so you need a baseball bat or axe...
We now have an air rifle and pistol, but most of the group has changed locations. We used to have a neighbor that fed them dog food. She has moved to the other end of the peninsula. We have another neighbor that was eliminating the coyote population. Some of the coons may have been caught up in that. I wouldn't want to rely on firecrackers anymore. These guys barely move off the road when they see you heading straight at them.

Short while back an Asian market here hit the news for this. They were selling farm raised (supposedly) Racoon. Someone took a photo of it and it hit the news. IIRC they made them stop but supposedly the damn things were coming from an inspected source sold for this. I had till then never heard of anyone eating them.

I take it you haven't spent time in Louisiana
lived down there when my father was stationed at Barksdale in the '60s
lots of kids in high school ate raccoon
was working in Rayville, LA just last year
the people at the hospital told me they still eat possum and raccoon stew

rjmt

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show