JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
we has seen giant raccoons out here in the Lewis River Valley for years
these creatures stand about 3' tall and can walk on their hind legs
not afraid of dogs or humans

my daughter works in Portland and comes up here for the weekends to relax
last August, she came up for a 3 day weekend - and her car alarm was set off in the middle of the night for the first 2 nights - being from Portland, she would get up each time and go out to check her car.

note: she grew up out here in the Valley, shooting Ruger 10/22s since she was 8 years old

on Sunday - knowing she had to head back to Portland on Monday morning - her car alarm went off again at 3 in the morning.

she come running out of her room screaming "M---- F---- SOMEONE IS GOING TO DIE"
She grabbed the Ruger 10/22 M1 carbine conversion as she runs out the back door
at that time, we kept a 10/22 at each door loaded with CCI Mini Mags

I sloooly get out of bed and grab a Ruger .357 - follow her out the door
I only reach the back porch and hear the crack of the Ruger - a pause - then a vicious female scream
" Die M---- F----" then 9 more round from the 10/22.
I get out to the parking pad and see her standing over one of those giant raccoons, flat on his back, twitching.
She tells me she got out to her car and sees this giant raccoon jumping down off her car - she shot it once - then it turned on her, stood up on it's hind legs and snarled - she took a step forward, screamed her battle cry and emptied the Ruger into it's chest at 10'

moral of this story - don't piss my daughter off or mess with her car!!!!

rjmt

10_22 Carbine_1.JPG

a live giant raccoon or a dead one?
they are so common out here I never thought to take a photo - like taking a photo of a Fir Tree
next time I see one on the property, I'll take a photo for you, probably this spring - they only live 3 years
as for the one my daughter shot - hauled it down to the woods and let the coyotes eat it

and thread was about my daughters fearlessness with a rifle - didn't matter if it was a giant raccoon, coyote, cougar or what ever
house wife's in Portland wouldn't go out to face a squirrel in their garbage can - country girls will take on anything that walks, crawls or slithers

rjmt

no, it had a true raccoon face and walked on it's hind legs at times
they can carry a dogs food dish off in their front paws, while waking on their back legs

truly - you guys have not heard of giant raccoons in the NW?
they are not unique to the North Fork of the Lewis.
my wife feed one for 3 years - it would walk up on our porch and wait for her to give it a paper bowl of cat food
would then take the bowl and walk on 2 legs back into the trees
when she went to the mail box, it would follow her, waiting for her to throw it dog treats
we left a heated water bowl out during the winter for it to wash it's food in - it over wintered in our garage
you guys haven't seen or heard of this creatures?
not exactly a Sasquatch - but they do exist

rjmt

then let me be specific - look at a raccoon - they have long back legs - if a giant raccoon stands up on those long legs, to challenge a threat or reach for food, they can be 3' in height
sitting on their rump - not so
I"ve seen one stand up to challenge our dogs - full leg extension, paws out - full mouth snarl - looks like Rocket Raccoon from Guardians of the Galaxy

rjmt

I guess I'm just from the old generation
back in the day, we would hear a story and envision it in our minds
you younger Internet and youtube generation need a cell phone video to visualize any situation
not being rude - just commenting

back in the day - we would sit around the camp fire or NCO club telling true stories of our exploits
there was no one around with a video camera to document the experience, but it was vivid in our minds
my father was a career military officer, fought in 3 wars, I spent many a night listening to battle stories from him and his friends
never once was there of video of that time he power dived a B-24 over France to escape that ME 210 night fighter, but not one person ever doubted it happened
then there was that Mig over North Korea - but he had a scar to show for that one!!

luckily my daughter does not have a scar to show her encounter with that giant Raccoon - just a memory

rjmt

Nope were of the internet generation.
Where eeeeeeeverything is captured on video.
If someone breaks their leg they will delay going to the hosptial to take photos and video.
Or worse.

Kidding, all jokes aside I'd be a proud poppa

enough said - we try to live in harmony with nature out here, observing wildlife in their natural habitat around our home

but if it takes a video of a giant raccoon to add luster to my stories,

then next time I see one, I'll take him out with my Mosin Sniper, stake him out on the ground and measure him toes to head

would you like that in inch or metric?

being facetious, I hope you know

this spring, my wife will try to tame another one -it's her nature - that should give me a chance to get you a photo.

rjmt

Our outside cat food used to disappear. Thinking a feral cat was getting into it I kept looking for it to appear. Doing the dishes on night (dark outside the window)(the cat food was up on top of the grill) I saw something out there. Made sure the cat was inside and rushed out the door yelling at it giving it my best roar. Well it was a big raccoon who then stood up on his hind legs and hissed at me big time! Didn't think it was possible to be jumping forward only to jump backwards at the same time without touching the ground. Chased it with a 9 iron and hit it as it crossed the fence. 10 minutes to get my heart rate down!
When we trapped it, it easily weighed 15-20 pounds and it was VERY unhappy to be in that cage.

I don't mind the discrepancy 2.5ft vs 3ft is not a problem with me but it reminds me of a joke.
Back then, the conflict between U.S.A. and the Soviet Union was very intense and we use both of them in most of our jokes.
3 guys U.S, Russian and Vietnamese met at a bar.
The U.S. Guy said U.S. rockets could land on Mars. The other 2 guys said, a big lie. The US guy said, if not there, 54.6 million km away
The russian said, Russian submarine can reach bottom of the Ocean. The other 2 said, you lied. The russian then said if not reach the bottom, at least 10km away.
The Vietnamese said Vietnamese ladies gave birth thru the navels. The other 2 guys said, big big lie. The Vietnamese said if not there, only 8 inch away.

OK, my son recommended I try this thing called GOOGLE
it tells me that modern raccoons, living close to human urban environments, eating garbage or pet food, can get to 38" in height and weigh upwards of 23 lbs

I guess if its on GOOGLE, it must be true~!!

rjmt

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR