JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Rocket.jpg Rocket1.jpg

I can vouch for giant raccoons. I have no pics either, but the part of the corbett/larch mtn that creeps into the mt hood national forest (where i grew up) is full of them. I have also heard tales of mountain lions in packs from reputable sources.

Cool story bro. A friend of mine killed five raccoons with a baseball bat in the Alameda district, Portland, in five seconds and then threw them over the fence into the neighbors yard.

Our outside cat food used to disappear. Thinking a feral cat was getting into it I kept looking for it to appear. Doing the dishes on night (dark outside the window)(the cat food was up on top of the grill) I saw something out there. Made sure the cat was inside and rushed out the door yelling at it giving it my best roar. Well it was a big raccoon who then stood up on his hind legs and hissed at me big time! Didn't think it was possible to be jumping forward only to jump backwards at the same time without touching the ground. Chased it with a 9 iron and hit it as it crossed the fence. 10 minutes to get my heart rate down!
When we trapped it, it easily weighed 15-20 pounds and it was VERY unhappy to be in that cage.

When we moved into this house 20+ ago Wife told me one day she had seen a Coon the size of a dog in the yard. I thought "ok, sure". Then a while later I saw a few and damned if one was not looking like a 20 pound or so. We had a couple cats then. I took to feeding them, cat food, sometimes a raw egg. The cats had enough sense to leave them alone. When we got the dogs same. Dogs would bark but knew to leave them. Then one day I had just gotten home and was watching a few out the back door. One attacked the female dog. All I could grab was Maglight and had to beat it on the head to get it to let go of the dog. I thought surely I was going to be going for Rabies shots but it never got me. Dog had to go to Vet and get patched up. After that no more feeding them and they seemed to have figured out they were no longer welcome. I would see them go by in front or in trees around us but rarely in the yard again. This is a pic of one of them when I was feeding. Looking in the window after a good storm, begging for a treat.

Rac.PNG

When we moved into this house 20+ ago Wife told me one day she had seen a Coon the size of a dog in the yard. I thought "ok, sure". Then a while later I saw a few and damned if one was not looking like a 20 pound or so. We had a couple cats then. I took to feeding them, cat food, sometimes a raw egg. The cats had enough sense to leave them alone. When we got the dogs same. Dogs would bark but knew to leave them. Then one day I had just gotten home and was watching a few out the back door. One attacked the female dog. All I could grab was Maglight and had to beat it on the head to get it to let go of the dog. I thought surely I was going to be going for Rabies shots but it never got me. Dog had to go to Vet and get patched up. After that no more feeding them and they seemed to have figured out they were no longer welcome. I would see them go by in front or in trees around us but rarely in the yard again. This is a pic of one of them when I was feeding. Looking in the window after a good storm, begging for a treat.

View attachment 438611
The trap was a step trap and i t took 3 times to get it. It figured out to step over the trigger and still got the food. Put a towel over it. He took that towel and I swear the largest piece left was about 2" x 2" ! Your dog was lucky.

@rjmt
Welcome to NWFA.

We all believe you and many of us can envision what went on in our minds.

Just a little hazing going on and some good fun filled jests.

We have small coons around here and most of what I see are flat on the road....

Giant raccoons, he's right. We've had them here where I live on the Puget Sound. Some of the big bulls will go over 30# easy. They've got the best of both worlds, people will feed them or they can go down to the beach and eat marine life. And they will kill your chickens, that's how they got in trouble with me. They killed eight of my new chicks one night. After that, I trapped and killed over thirty of them in one year. As someone else said, they get very ugly in a cage. I don't see many around my place now, about 20 years ago a new development was built up inland of me, destroyed a lot of habitat. Not too many pictures, here's one of a smaller, younger critter I got one time with a cat-sneeze load in an Austrian M1895 Steyr:

b20in2I.jpg

They are smart critters too, make no mistake about it. If they could pass the driver's license test, they would rule the world.

The trap was a step trap and i t took 3 times to get it. It figured out to step over the trigger and still got the food. Put a towel over it. He took that towel and I swear the largest piece left was about 2" x 2" ! Your dog was lucky.

No doubt in my mind it would have killed her if I had not been just a few feet away. The dog only weighs 10#. The Damn Coon was at least twice her size. Since I did not want to shoot one in the yard and have everyone calling 911 I made a spear with a 8ft length of heavy PVC and an old knife. Figured I would off a few of them till they figured out to avoid me. The flashlight to the head of that one seemed to do the trick though as they stopped coming in the yard. That dog was damn lucky I was standing right there or no doubt in my mind I would have found her dead. That one I hit in the head a couple times still ran off after getting beat like that. TOUGH critters!

Giant raccoons, he's right. We've had them here where I live on the Puget Sound. Some of the big bulls will go over 30# easy. They've got the best of both worlds, people will feed them or they can go down to the beach and eat marine life. And they will kill your chickens, that's how they got in trouble with me. They killed eight of my new chicks one night. After that, I trapped and killed over thirty of them in one year. As someone else said, they get very ugly in a cage. I don't see many around my place now, about 20 years ago a new development was built up inland of me, destroyed a lot of habitat. Not too many pictures, here's one of a smaller, younger critter I got one time with a cat-sneeze load in an Austrian M1895 Steyr:

View attachment 438612

They are smart critters too, make no mistake about it. If they could pass the driver's license test, they would rule the world.
The trapper told me that they know what day garbage pick up is in what neighborhood, where the ponds and fish are, and where dry dog/cat foods are and hit them in an organized fashion. As smart as dogs and meaner.

Here on the Olympic Peninsula I've shot some really large raccoons (over 20+ lbs)...

Many city dwellers that move out this way think they are cute and cuddly, mostly based on tv movies...

So what they do is buy 50lb bags of dog food and feed the damn things...

Raccoons can kill a domestic dog, they carry rabies... No thanks, I've got live stock/critters and I treat them as I do coyotes...

Land Sharks... EOS... (End of Story)

Here' a story. A friends family had a house with a creek on the property. Family of coons used the creek. They thought how cute let' put food out for them . Short story, after 4 generations of coons the babies would come eat out the hands up on the patio. Someone left the screen open and they came home to find 8 of them tearing up the house.

There was this one time about 2 AM and I'm dressed only in a pair of Sorrels winter pacs and leather gloves, tossing dead bodies over the fence. A 22lr will make a satisfying audible thunk when it hits center of mass.

ROFLMAO we live in town we have a second story deck off our upstairs bathroom and on the other side of the master bedroom a Large carport roof. We have had as many as 6 raccoons dancing around on the carport roof at a time. They run directly over our heads in bed (sloped ceiling I can almost reach up and touch laying in bed) I have Red Ridered a couple dozen of them they don't like that so much but its hard to make sure theres nothing in the background I could hit so we went a completely different way. My son loaned us a Nasty CO2 powered 62 cal Paint ball gun. I knocked about a 25+ lb bull coon off the railing of the deck with it. The thing went over backwards and ended up crashing into some junk leaned up besides the house. The ones on the Carport really didn't like the sting from that big paint pellet wacking them. They have been rather rare of late.

One of my neighbors that moved here from California used to feed them, 50 lbs of wallyworld dog food a week went to them. They fed the coons for years until for some reason they got tired of it. they got a live trap and trapped them in their shop where they fed them and another neighbor would come up and shoot the coon in the trap and dispose of it. they killed 90 coons in one month.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top