JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone who's ever followed my posts on sourcing Reloading Components has probably figured out that I hate wasting gas to search for supplies, or to make a separate trip to pick up what they "can order for you".

Now that Gasoline is going up again, how many others will factor in the cost of fuel to find their reloading supplies thus looking to online sources?

For me, a "shopping trip" for powder, primers, and bullets, involves either a 40 mile round trip to the South, to a Dealer that is very proud of his merchandise or one that charges a little less but involves an 85 mile round trip to the North. The closest one doesn't carry rifle powders in 8# jugs so I have to pay a $5 premium for each single pound container he does have in stock. The other dealer stocks the larger containers but has priced them at just under $200 per jug.

Neither Dealer ever has everything I need so I end up having to make "side trips" for one item or another.

My solution has been to use an Online Source and just have the product delivered. Their single pound powder prices are 20% less on average with even larger savings on 4#-8# Jugs. Primer savings average as much as $10 per box. Bullets are available in large packs while the local dealers like to milk the buyer by selling only 100 count boxes.

Even if the UPS prices go up (for powder/primer shipment only, bullets and brass are shipped USPS Flat Rate) The savings will still be more than enough to offset freight and hazmat, not to mention the drain on one's gas tank.

Just wondering how many others out there are considering this or even forming informal "Co-op's" in order to pool orders.

For me, I won't waste gas chasing components, I'll save it for trips to the range:s0155:

Pooling orders together to save on shipping is an excellent idea... I've some acquaintances at the local club discuss this very option.

At a previous club I belonged to, certain (bullet/brass) manufacturers would give a price break, but it would ship via truck/LTL, and had a min order quantity.

I buy 80% of the stuff I use from either Bi Mart or Wholesale Sports on the way home from work, A trip to BiMart compared to going home directly adds maybe a mile and half to the trip home.

I order the balance or buy from gun shows

The price of fuel will have little real effect if any on my reloading. Or shooting for that matter since the Gun Club is on the way home as well.

Well we have a couple shops that carry some powders.Found another one but the doesn't set right with me.A little different,but he has the best selection.
So I travel to Silverdale.And I almost always see others from up here buying supplies there.
And they don't always have what I want.
Gas will most definitely become a factor this summer so I believe I will be finding that place you are looking for and stock up.
May have to reconsider a motorcycle.

May have to reconsider a motorcycle.

Been there, done that. Great for nice days, OK on average NW days, but they really suck when the weather turns to like it was yesterday. I quit riding when I had to dress for foul weather in clothing that made me look like Ralphie's little brother Randy in "A Christmas Story". Yeah, I know the suits are heated but they "over amplify" my "ample" figure;);)

Or like today where the rain is going sideways? Yeah the reason I would have to buy another one.
And Mark,no more comments from you on this. Sheez,you probably pick supplies up in you dump truck too lol

i pick stuff up when i am driving buy bi mart and stock up so i don't need a special trip. Today i grabbed 8 pounds of powder at $18 each and a couple 1000 primers at $27 per 1000. Bullet's i get off the net when they are on sale.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top