JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What's your funniest gun-related experience?

Here's mine. I was about 35 at the time. A phone call at about 2am. I'd been asleep. I reach for the phone, answer, and a male voice starts telling me that he knows where I live, knows I live alone, says he's looking at my house right now, and describes the house. Then he said he was going to come after me and started describing what he was going to do to me.

At that point I broke into uncontrollable and loud laughter. When I was able to contain myself enough to respond, I said "I've got two big dogs and I shoot .44 magnums for fun." Whereupon I rolled over and went back to sleep. No further phone calls from that guy, ever.
Here's another one. I had been talking on the phone a good bit with a fellow gardener, garden book author, and seedsman. I considered him a friend, though we had never met in person. One interest we shared was guns and self defense. He was very proud of his edc, a Smith snubby .38 which he had converted to DA only by having the hammer bobbed. I'm a big fan of the fullest versatily in my edc to hunt and be a general woods gun and plinker, and have no use at all for DA only. We discussed our differing opinions cheerfully and in 9 part harmony, as gun people often do.

Then this friend was traveling somewhere going right by Corvallis, so we arranged for him to stop by so we could meet in person. When he knocked and I let him in, however, he immediately started undoing his belt! Disconcerting!!! However, he was just taking off his gun belt. He unloaded his edc revolver and proudly handed it to me for my inspection. Whew! For a minute there I'd thought it was some other kind of gun he wanted to show me!

I will share a couple.

When I took my brother inlaw to go shooting for his first time, he came out dressed like he was part of the SWAT team. If NC Star had a clothing catalogue, he would be the guy you see on the cover. The first gun he wanted to shoot was an AR. As he was making his way to the firing line, I told him his boots were dirty and it was proper range etiquette to jump in the air and clap your feet together once or twice to clean them. Every time he went up to shoot he would jump and clap his feet together. I wish I had recorded it but me and the family just kept trying to hold it in and after 8 concentrated, serious feet claps, I had to tell him I was BSing.:cool:

Advanced Infantry Training-Ft Ord, CA-1965. A platoon of we trainees were standing in the Company area awaiting our assignments for guard duty when the Sargent of the Guard decided to show us how to stand inspection with a .45. He went thru the whole routine and at the end holding the .45 in the air says, "Then you squeeze the trigger". You guessed it. pops off a round. Look on his face was a combination of shock, horror and several expressions there aren't words for in English. He was one of those Sgt. E5's that had about 18 years of time in the Army, so it wasn't the first time he screwed up. When the Company Commander walked out, he knew he wasn't going to see E6.

Had a buddy we called, "Bobby the Fuse". He got his name when he was in college, got drunk and threw 3 sticks of dynamite on the roof of the Bolder, CO Police Dept. Said they came running out of there like black ants fleeing their hole. His families money got him off on 3 misdemeanors. Anyway, we were out drinking and shooting (good combo huh). We were both stumbling drunk when he falls over with a Ruger .44 in one hand and a cheap beer in the other. Guess which one he saves. Yeah, he holds the beer up and falls on the .44. Apparently it is true that "God takes care of fools" because all that happened is he broke the sights on the Ruger. This is the same Ruger that he fell asleep fondling when it went off, he just had flash burns and a big hole in his cabin wall. Please, no comments on me being a bigger fool for hanging with the guy.

Last Edited:
A friend and I were at Tri-County and he had just traded his 4-wheeler for some items including a used 270 w/scope. First time I was at the range with this friend. He is a gun guy, very knowledgeable, worked for a local scope company (sounds like Leopard). Basically this guy was NOT a new-B.
Pulled out his "new to him" 270 and scope, took a few shots and we realized it needed adjustment. He unscrewed the dial covers, and made the adjustment and shot a few more, and though it was another decent grouping, it got further from the bull, so we knew he adjusted it the wrong way. Another adjustment, same result, it got worse. Perplexed as he was he looked again, and by this time the RO had shown up. I am not sure who realized it but I will never forget the look on his face at the realization his scope was mounted BUT twisted 90 degrees. The actual windage dial was on top, and the elevation dial was on the left.

Then what happens, the RO who (out of no disrespect) was an older gentleman, was assisting my buddy with fixing his scope. Here I am watching a 35 year old optic professional get lessons on mounting scope from the RO. The look on my buddy's face was priceless.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top