JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wow. Way to make one hell of an assumption. For the record, you're so far off base it's not even funny. I certainly understand being skeptical but this is a bit much.

I think we all can agree that:
- if there is a problem (now or future) there is nothing the gov can do
- the gov will deny a problem, simply to avoid panic
- the gov could not relocate 50,000 people, or worse millions
- long-term exposure to low levels is likely dangerous
- the sheeple won't want the truth (e.g. "Abandon my home?")

We all should remain vigilant about this situation and seek out tangible information.

Peter

Also, in that video above, CPM tells you nothing. That's Counts Per Minute. Could be solar, could be particulate, could be anything. Terrible way to measure radiation. For example, there could be Uranium dust in the rocky hills on the beach being blown around and that's what it's picking up. Much more plausible explanation than Fukishima.

Also, Geiger counters tend to be not so good at measuring actual strength and radiation doses. The Geiger counter can measure counts but not the energy of the radiation, so a technique known as energy compensation of the detector tube is used to produce a dose reading. Since the reading on that meter is only on CPM, we can't know the strength nor the type of particle it's picking up. See the problem here?

You know who I am. I'm on PNWGuns and PNWRiders. RedKat. I came here as it seems to be a more active community than PNWGuns and was looking for some reviews and installation tips for the APEX Tactical FSS kit I just got for my M&P. I happened to see this thread and decided to comment here. My history at PNWRiders should be enough for you even if we don't see eye to eye on other issues.

Actually I don't know you and why would I know what your UserID on PNWGuns and PNWRiders is? I don't even have the NSA's list of forum UserIDs and who they belong to but if you send me a copy then we'll be on the same page :)

That article, and others like it, is BS. For the record, I'm a radiation safety tech.

These articles are written to scare the public. Nothing more, nothing less. The actual dose of radiation found in these fish is less than you get from eating a banana. Yep, that's right, there is natural radiation in bananas they get from growing in tropical soil. It's really ridiculous, and IMO, quite unnecessary and designed to do nothing more than scare the public. Note how they use numbers like 10 TIMES HIGHER, rather than an actual measurement. Media sensationalism at it's finest. If they used an actual measurement, the number wouldn't be nearly as scary. VERY HIGH LEVELS, etc. For a real measurement of the dose, here's an article: Scientists to eaters: Don't freak out over Fukushima fish - Los Angeles Times

The polar bear article they linked to states the same thing was found in 1998-1999 during another census. Exact quote "The bears aren't the first to show these signs - ten of the 48 bears the scientists checked in 1998-99 showed similar symptoms, according to Tony DeGange, chief of the biology office at the USGS Science Center in Anchorage." No Fukishima back then, why would it be that now? Dig a little deeper and check the sources quoted....you'll find no relations at all. These articles are COUNTING on you to not double check their work and linking. They also state the bears haven't died.....if this were radiation caused skin lesions and fur loss they should be dead within days for those symptoms. Polar bears suffer from mysterious illness causing patchy hair, open sores* - NY Daily News

They did have chernoble (ap?) Then though. If its radiation caused that might be the source, also a Russian nuclear sub in the north that leaked a lot of radiation.

Then there is someone copying you on those forums. Same username, location, etc. Lol.

It's Ok, you don't have to believe a word I say. If what you want to hear is that I'm a shill for a government agency trying to cover all this up then believe that. Still doesn't change anything.

BTW, the TEPCO article above? The unit of measurement they use is the absolute smallest measurable amount of radiation possible to make the 1.9 million seem huge. The conversion rate for becquerel to a more widely known unit of measurement, the Curie, is 3.7 x10^10. 1 Curie = 37,000,000,000 becquerels. That means the measurement they have is relatively small. Radiation therapy machines have, typically, 1000 Curie sources in them. Again, more sensationalism.

Chernobyl happened in 1986. You mean after effects of that? Do you have a source for the article about the Russian sub that leaked radiation?

Chernobyl happened in 1986. You mean after effects of that? Do you have a source for the article about the Russian sub that leaked radiation?

I suppose I could find it.
The US attempted a rescue, butcant remember much more about it. Somewhere near the Arctic will look.

I suppose I could find it.
The US attempted a rescue, butcant remember much more about it. Somewhere near the Arctic will look.

I found one from 1961 out by Greenland. Is that the one you're thinking of or more recent than that? The Kursk is another one but it happened in August of 2000, well after the first exam of the polar bears with skin lesions.

Yeah, that's what I was searching too but it returned a lot of different results. The K-19 happened back in 1961. The half-life of Cesium-137 is something like 30 years, so by the 90's it should have been quite decayed. Not sure what isotopes they use on the nuclear subs though, could have been something different.

Still, the dose required to give skin lesions and fur loss like that would kill an animal (polar bear) in a few days or a week. According to the article, they are still alive. Food for thought.

And this one is another serious one around 1989

<broken link removed>

Plutonium... for a thousand years.

half-life for plutonium-239 is 24,000 years.

Thanks PiratePast40. I have done a lot of reading on potassium iodide, and understand it's limited usage. In fact, since I'm over 40 according to the CDC there's not much use for it for me as I'm not really as susceptible to thyroid cancer and my kids are.

<broken link removed>

I didn't really pick up the PI tablets as part of this knee jerk reaction to radiation. I was picking up the (Consumer grade, not industrial or military) geiger counter and it showed up on the "Other's bought this when buying that" section, so I picked some up on a whim. Sort of a "Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it" thing.

I see Potassium iodide as something we would take just as we were jumping into the car to leave for non-radiated parts of the country... so a "bug out pill" if you will.

I'm also not real keen on blurting information out about readings my gizmo has, but it would prompt be to look further into the issue for sure, and that's really what I'm hoping to do.

There isn't a single thing RK600 has said that isn't true. You need to listen to some people in everyday life that know about radiation, it's biological effects, and impact on the environment. As I've said before, this isn't rocket science.

RK - welcome to the forum from another HP type.

Next, seven angels are given vials or bowls to pour out upon the earth which contain "the seven last plagues". These last judgments will complete God's wrath. The first bowl produces unbearable sores on humanity. The second bowl results in the death of every living thing in the sea

Makes this a not so obscure passage.

My first weigh in on this thread, which I don't have time to read all 6 pages, is that whatever the readings are, IT AIN'T GOOD...
The Pacific ocean and the Bearing Sea have been contaminated by this deadly radiation and for what it's worth IT AIN'T GOOD...
I don't care how TPTB sugarcoat this turd, IT AIN'T GOOD...

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top