JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks PiratePast40. I have done a lot of reading on potassium iodide, and understand it's limited usage. In fact, since I'm over 40 according to the CDC there's not much use for it for me as I'm not really as susceptible to thyroid cancer and my kids are.

<broken link removed>

I didn't really pick up the PI tablets as part of this knee jerk reaction to radiation. I was picking up the (Consumer grade, not industrial or military) geiger counter and it showed up on the "Other's bought this when buying that" section, so I picked some up on a whim. Sort of a "Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it" thing.

I see Potassium iodide as something we would take just as we were jumping into the car to leave for non-radiated parts of the country... so a "bug out pill" if you will.

I'm also not real keen on blurting information out about readings my gizmo has, but it would prompt be to look further into the issue for sure, and that's really what I'm hoping to do.

Glad to hear that you're taking a responsible view on gaining information. As far as KI, it's a preventative measure for ingestion of radioactive iodine, specifically !-131. From a nuclear reactor perspective, !-131 is a fission product gas and is only produced from a critical reactor. Since it has a relatively short half life (around 8 days), it's a rather benign risk from somewhere as far away as Japan. Mostly due to how it would need to travel. In that context radioiodine from Fukishimi most likely would not be a risk all the way over here.

For your GM type instrument. Read up on it as much as you can and practice taking some readings. Not sure if you have a count rate meter, micro-r meter, or some other scale, but it would be beneficial to you to see the differences in readings. Some observations you may encounter are: higher readings during temperature inversions due to radon gas, higher readings in higher elevations, and higher readings near granite bearing rocks. In other words, educate yourself so that you're not an alarmist. We have many sources of natural radiation in our environment. Some are quite significant and would not be tolerated in the working environment but yet occur naturally.

You know who I am. I'm on PNWGuns and PNWRiders. RedKat. I came here as it seems to be a more active community than PNWGuns and was looking for some reviews and installation tips for the APEX Tactical FSS kit I just got for my M&P. I happened to see this thread and decided to comment here. My history at PNWRiders should be enough for you even if we don't see eye to eye on other issues.

Welcome to the forum, RK!

I for one, am extremely skeptical of news reports regarding Fukushima, or lack thereof!

Fact is, Tepco knew about and downplayed the disaster. Let alone their Japanese government.

Governments have an interest in keeping the people calm…even to the point of deception.

I don't trust my government or theirs to inform the public about dangers!

Be well,
Will

My first weigh in on this thread, which I don't have time to read all 6 pages, is that whatever the readings are, IT AIN'T GOOD...
The Pacific ocean and the Bearing Sea have been contaminated by this deadly radiation and for what it's worth IT AIN'T GOOD...
I don't care how TPTB sugarcoat this turd, IT AIN'T GOOD...

That is my point. The fish will disappear or become non edible and that is over half the worlds food supply. A different form of power generation needs to be done in regions that they know damned well are going to have volcanos and major quakes.
Just dumb !
Then add that to all the other radioactive crap in the ocean its a wonder it isn't all dead already :-/
We sat on the hillside and did a time sequence of trojan the morning it was blown up.
That one was good to watch.
Good riddance.

Welcome to the forum, RK!

I for one, am extremely skeptical of news reports regarding Fukushima, or lack thereof!

Fact is, Tepco knew about and downplayed the disaster. Let alone their Japanese government.

Governments have an interest in keeping the people calm...even to the point of deception.

I don't trust my government or theirs to inform the public about dangers!

Be well,
Will

I'm not saying everyone is wrong. Yes, there was a leak. Should you be alarmed? Not yet. The plume isn't even scheduled to reach our shores until this year and peak in 2016. I'm just trying to educate some more folks on how radiation is measured, how it affects you, where it comes from, etc, rather than the media BS which is quite sensationalist and alarmist.

For example, the Counts Per Minute used in that video doesn't even measure the type of radiation released by Fukishima. Cesium 137 is a Gamma type radiation fission product. CPM readings measure Alpha and Beta radiation, like naturally occurring Radon or Uranium in the soil. In order to measure Cesium and other Gamma products, it needs to be done in the mrem or mSv scale, which that meter should be capable of doing. IN the video, the guy is most likely measuring naturally occurring Radon, in the granite rocks on the cliff he's standing on.

What should be focused on, rather than the Cesium, is Strontium 90. That's the 30 year stuff that's dangerous, although far less likely to be released from a power plant.

Hey Pirate. Are you an ultrasound tech or something similar? If you have the time I'd like to get in touch with you to discuss how to setup and interpret the readings from this device. (I got it delivered yesterday)

I don't want to panic every time someone runs the microwave. :)

Hey Pirate. Are you an ultrasound tech or something similar? If you have the time I'd like to get in touch with you to discuss how to setup and interpret the readings from this device. (I got it delivered yesterday)

I don't want to panic every time someone runs the microwave. :)

I've worked in radiation protection, in one function or another, since the early 70's. Mostly in commercial power but also extensive DOD and DOE experience.

I appreciate your desire to know what the instrument is telling you and will be glad to help. Send me a PM.

I grew up 10 miles down wind of the Trojan nuclear plant. My Dad worked there.

Between that, all the xrays (many) and Fukishima... You gotta wonder how I've lived to the ripe old age of 49. It's Not A Tumor!

Do you all suppose this may be why the military was doing exercises (amphibious landings) on the east coast in the last year or so?

I love a good conspiracy.

IAEA, like everyone else who wishes to participate in the research, signs a Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA). It's not about concealment, it's about having a single spokesperson. The IAEA, along with TEPCO issues releases and also participates in symposiums and industry meetings.

Look, I'm not in any way trying to defend TEPCO. I just don't like it when people fly off the handle with skewed information. RK600 was labeled a troll because he called BS on some of the radiation level reports. He was correct, but that doesn't seem to stop some from running around with their hair on fire. If someone on these forums starts spewing anti-gun crap and throwing out incorrect statistics, people here are all over them, and with good reason. You have to be able to intelligently discuss the facts to have any credibility.

Dirty Harriet, don't think this is aimed at you. Just pointing out that people can be drawn in by twisted facts.

IAEA, like everyone else who wishes to participate in the research, signs a Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA). It's not about concealment, it's about having a single spokesperson. The IAEA, along with TEPCO issues releases and also participates in symposiums and industry meetings.

Look, I'm not in any way trying to defend TEPCO. I just don't like it when people fly off the handle with skewed information. RK600 was labeled a troll because he called BS on some of the radiation level reports. He was correct, but that doesn't seem to stop some from running around with their hair on fire. If someone on these forums starts spewing anti-gun crap and throwing out incorrect statistics, people here are all over them, and with good reason. You have to be able to intelligently discuss the facts to have any credibility.

Dirty Harriet, don't think this is aimed at you. Just pointing out that people can be drawn in by twisted facts.

You just keep trusting your government. They never lie
;):(:D

So many things, this issue, my job, politics. We keep having to try and find out the truth from people who are under no obligation to tell the truth. Just doing the best I can. So frustrating. You have to be an expert at everything because the "experts" lie.

So many things, this issue, my job, politics. We keep having to try and find out the truth from people who are under no obligation to tell the truth. Just doing the best I can. So frustrating. You have to be an expert at everything because the "experts" lie.

Politicians lie, its inbred.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR