JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You are an engineer, Why is it every time something cannot fail it does and always to a point, it gets burred and then hidden from public view.

Yup; it's called politics. See the excerpt below from IEEE Spectrum article by Eliza Strickland from October 2011

The world's three major nuclear accidents had very different causes, but they have one important thing in common: In each case, the company or government agency in charge withheld critical information from the public. And in the absence of information, the panicked public began to associate all nuclear power with horror and radiation nightmares. The owner of the Fukushima plant, the Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO), has only made the situation worse by presenting the Japanese and global public with obfuscations instead of a clear-eyed accounting.

Earlier in the same article, Eliza made the following statement:

Sometimes it takes a disaster before we humans really figure out how to design something. In fact, sometimes it takes more than one.
Millions of people had to die on highways, for example, before governments forced auto companies to get serious about safety in the 1980s. But with nuclear power, learning by disaster has never really been an option. Or so it seemed, until officials found themselves grappling with the world's third major accident at a nuclear plant.

Nuclear power can be a viable option and frankly, it needs to be if we are going to continue to meet the energy needs of the people on this planet. If fossil fuels are not a long term answer (they aren't), and current alternative energy attempts are falling abysmally short of meeting demand (they are), we either have to all move back to caves and start wearing bearskins or continue to explore other energy options including nuclear.

A number of years ago I sat in a conference on commercial power with guest speakers from Portland General Electric, Grant PUD, and Bonneville Power Administration. The discussion was renewable power and the possibility of it replacing fossile fuel and hydroelectric power in our area. The city of Portland wants "a electric car charging station on every street corner." These gentlemen made no bones about the fact that this is physically impossible with our current technology. I could delve into the million reasons why, but I will spare you the techno drivel.

I watched both video links you posted. Below is the disclaimer from the Chernobyl site you linked to:

The information contained in this website is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by Crisis Watch Network and while we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose

I also put in bold font part of the sentence in the first excerpt from the IEEE article I referenced. I dug a little deeper and found the site linked to the video is apparently a environmental activist site promoted by a gentleman in Croatia through a site called "Crisis Watch Network". My sources by contrast are from globally acclaimed engineers and engineering leaders.

Yes, I am an engineer.. And engineers DO strive to make the world better. Politics often gets in the way of that, but that's the world we live in. You seem to be firmly rooted in believing the panic mania regarding nuclear power, and as I said earlier, I doubt there is anything I could do or say to change that. So be it, but please don't think I am trying to "spoon feed" you anything to have you "spit it back at me." I am simply trying to shed some light on the discussion. Take it or leave it; it matters not to me; and as an engineer I have been ignored by too many people at this point in my career to care if you want to be one more. It happens frequently when I present facts that people don't like.

IMG_1321.JPG

I helped decommission part of the Trojan nuclear power plant.
And I'm not gona lie. It made me nervous.
Don't blame you. Asbestos, fall hazards, electrical hazards, and heavy components being cut up and moved all add up to significant safety concerns. I've been at CY, Big Rock Point, Maine Yankee, and Zion during decommissioning. Radiological concerns are some of the minor ones. The thing is, the ALARA and Rad Engineering people have a better handle on safety than the IH people.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews