JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This might be an old topic, but I tried looking, probably not as hard as I should, but can a WA resident purchase a long-gun/handgun from a OR resident. Both members are Active Duty military or even the average "Joe" and both have CPL's for both OR and WA?
As an Active Duty Military member stationed in OR, but residing in WA you can purchase firearms as long as they provide their "Orders". Does that only apply to tranasctions with people with FFL's. Thanks again for clarfying this dreaded topic.

Here's what I do know.. Average Joe= NO.... Active military, Id assume would also be NO just for the simple fact that where it is written that a OR resident CANNOT transfer to a person of diferent residency it contains NO exceptions.. This would lead me to beleive NO.. I say this cause when there's exceptions to rules, its noted in the same law in the same section so there, there's my 2 pennies.. spend them wisely!!

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b1

(B1) To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA? [Back]

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

(B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA? [Back]

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

I don't have the FFL book in front of me right now so i will have to read and verify later, but if an active military personal has valid military ID and orders showing they are assigned in the state they are trying to purchase from then you may sell to them.

I am just getting into the FFL game so i could be wrong. Maybe another dealer, or when i get a chance to read through the FFL book more i can verify.

Average joe cannot go to another state and buy a handgun. long gun is ok, but no handgun. active military has to either A) go to his home state, or B) prove residency.

Hopefully someone else will confirm.:eek:

Average joe cannot go to another state and buy a handgun. long gun is ok, but no handgun. active military has to either A) go to his home state, or B) prove residency.

Hopefully someone else will confirm.:eek:

Sorry if this is a little off topic, but does this mean that, as a Washington resident, I can buy a rifle or shotgun from an Oregon Gun shop? I've had my eye on a rifle in the classifieds from an Oregon seller. I know I couldn't do a straight FTF, but could the sale go through an Oregon gun shop without shipping to a Washington gun shop?

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b2

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person's own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's(FFL) premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b11

(B11) What constitutes residency in a State? [Back]

The State of residence is the State in which an individual is present; the individual also must have an intention of making a home in that State. A member of the Armed Forces on active duty is a resident of the State in which his or her permanent duty station is located. If a member of the Armed Forces maintains a home in one State and the member's permanent duty station is in a nearby State to which he or she commutes each day, then the member has two States of residence and may purchase a firearm in either the State where the duty station is located or the State where the home is maintained. An alien who is legally in the United States is considered to be a resident of a State only if the alien is residing in that State and has resided in that State continuously for a period of at least 90 days prior to the date of sale of the firearm. See also Item 5, "Sales to Aliens in the United States," in the General Information section of this publication.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b2

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's(FFL) premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b11

(B11) What constitutes residency in a State? [Back]

The State of residence is the State in which an individual is present; the individual also must have an intention of making a home in that State. A member of the Armed Forces on active duty is a resident of the State in which his or her permanent duty station is located. If a member of the Armed Forces maintains a home in one State and the member’s permanent duty station is in a nearby State to which he or she commutes each day, then the member has two States of residence and may purchase a firearm in either the State where the duty station is located or the State where the home is maintained. An alien who is legally in the United States is considered to be a resident of a State only if the alien is residing in that State and has resided in that State continuously for a period of at least 90 days prior to the date of sale of the firearm. See also Item 5, “Sales to Aliens in the United States,” in the General Information section of this publication.

BCP, that is what I was looking for. Thanks for the info guys, I knew you would not let me down.:s0155:

All this is very interesting--- if you subscribe to that sort of thing. On the other hand, allow me to quote a man much, much smarter than I:

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

Robert Heinlein in "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress."

YMMV

III

All this is very interesting--- if you subscribe to that sort of thing. On the other hand, allow me to quote a man much, much smarter than I:

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

YMMV

III

I like it. :s0155:

I asked this in another thread but never got an answer. I know what FFL stands for but what does FTF stand for. Thanks may sound stupid and ignorance some say is bliss but I would like to know. Thanks!

YMMV

III

We are all free to do what ever we want to do, we can break all the rules we want, but be prepared to pay the piper. For every action there's a reaction...

"We are all free to do what ever we want to do, we can break all the rules we want, but be prepared to pay the piper. For every action there's a reaction... "

Well, it's not like we're pledging "our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor." Or is it? More to the point, are we so jealous of our lives and fortunes that we sacrifice the requisite honor?

I don't know, but as I stated in another thread, 'I try to avoid being a hypocrite.'

III

One mans honor is another mans foolish subservience to dumb government regulations.

Theres times it is necessary to do what you can get away with.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top