JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Warden and I have been down there for thirteen days of courses all together since September of 2014, We attended the four day defensive handgun course immediately followed by the one day Concealed Carry course. Prior to this my wife, the Warden, had fired maybe 90 rounds in her life. She did greatly benefit from a Basic course here locally by MK Tactical. They at least got her past her fear of guns and ammunition and helped her immensely, but that was really a initial training experience over a day. She needed a little more intensive training to be more comfortable.
The first course was done in early September and the temperatures had not yet abated. I heard it was 107 one day. We were not 'forced' to go beyond our personal physical limits. Indeed we were encouraged to sit this one out.
The first day my wife would not even shoot her gun (Lionheart LH9), but they were able to coax her out of her shell the second day and then she really started to bloom. Her speed was always slow, but she was very accurate. I thought they did a wonderful job with this beginner. She advanced during the 'One on One' competition, accurate always, but eventually lost to faster, equally accurate competitor
I did well but I did not shine the way she did.
The "Fifth" day was the CC course and it included a 30 round test from various distances. I think she had 28 hits out of 30 in the scoring rings. (I don't have perfect recall like I once did)

We went for a second time a month later as she wanted to have a gun with no external safety to slow her. We had been gun shopping and she bought a S&W SD9 VE, we tried it about four times locally and she was not pleased with it's accuracy, it fell way short of her Lionheart. We traded the S&W for a Gen 4 Glock 17. This time at Front Sight her speed really improved and her gun handling really improved. Not yet used to the Glock her accuracy while good, did not meet the bar she had set for herself.

Then we did what she called a Four day "Rambo Gun" course or as they called Practical Rifle course. I used my homemade AR and she used her Daniels Defense DDM4 a version 3, We did well, but next time I will have the optics zeroed before we go. (We used iron sights for two days and then switched to Aimpoints for the next 2.)

We are both very happy with our training, it is a little regimented, but that is dictated by the class size. We both got all the one on one instruction we needed. It was very satisfactory to a beginner, Each class had several "Beginners", all did well day four.

We would have already returned, except I needed, and have had some serious surgery, recovered from that but need some more when things stabilize a little more. We are waiting on that and then we will be Pahrump People once again.

Well now, it's been almost three years since I wrote my OP, and I'm FINALLY heading back down for another whack at the four-day defensive handgun class. Would have liked to taken the practical rifle course but the dates just didn't jive with the work schedule.

I'll let you all know how things go when I get back. Leaving next Sunday!

Say hi to Art Bell! The weather should be about ideal.. I love it down around there.. Death Valley etc.
And ditto on telling us how much fun you had!

The wife and I have been back for two days of shotgun and two days of rifle last year.
later this month, we are going to a two day 'skill builder' handgun course and I am going to do all the Armorer's courses in July (Glock, Springfield Plastic, 1911, and AR)

I have a few Diamond Memberships that I would be willing to give away to someone willing to COMMIT to using them. (One, two or a family) Before you say that's for me remember you generally need to bring an appropriate gun for each person in each course (No sharing), you have to get there somehow, you have to provide your own factory ammo. A week or even four days is a long time without eating and where are you going to stay? so you still have considerable costs, but the Membership pays for the course. Each year each person needs a background check at $75 or $100. Still interested PM me.

The "Skill builder" was a lot different than we expected, we were thinking it would be like the last two days of a four day course... No, it was not.
It was standing on the 10 yard line mostly. They said ready and you faced downrange and waited for your target to turn to face you for that 0.2 seconds. As soon as the target started to turn you began your draw, with the object being getting two shots into the vitals before it turns back. 0.2 is not a great deal of time. made you get quick in a hurry.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top