JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been a member here for a long time but almost never post but now I have a question.

Not long ago, I purchased two Fort Knox pistol boxes and received 2 certificates for 2 free 2-day defensive training at Front Sight Training in Pahump. So, we happen to be in the Las Vegas area and my sife and I are thinking of taking the course.

So, has anyone taken any of these classes? Are they any good?

I'd really like some feedback. It sounds like they try to sell lifetime memberships.

So, is Front Sight Training free training a scam to get you to buy something?

Thanks,

Bill

Last Edited:
I have a membership there through a friend that lives in Las Vegas. I have not been or taken any of their classes, but he has. They are great by his reviews.

I don't think I'll ever get to go to one myself, but I'm sort of regretting taking the free lifetime membership since they are the king of telemarketing calls. I've had to block like 3-4 different Vegas numbers and they still get through once and a while.

I've been a member here for a long time but almost never post but now I have a question.

Not long ago, I purchased two Fort Knox pistol boxes and received 2 certificates for 2 free 2-day defensive training at Front Sight Training in Pahump. So, we happen to be in the Las Vegas area and my sife and I are thinking of taking the course.

So, has anyone taken any of these classes? Are they any good?

I'd really like some feedback. It sounds like they try to sell lifetime memberships.

Thanks,

Bill
I've been a "First Family" Member for about 20 years now. I've gotten my money's worth and then some with my membership. And yes, they will try to get you to buy a lifetime membership. Most people are so pumped up at the end of training that they buy, so be strong and save your money. There are hundreds, perhaps thousands of members out there who will happily sell you a lifetime membership for a few hundred bucks or less. I gave family members and friends FS memberships just in case they wanted to take a class there. A few did and they all enjoyed themselves. IMHO, Front Sight has become a training mill. Not necessarily a bad thing but distinctly different from what it was in it's first few years before the move to Pahrump. Much more rigid in the daily schedule. For a beginner it's an excellent place to start and if you have free passes and the time and $$ to travel there then by all means go. Most people take the handgun course. You'll learn proper gun safety, malfunction clearing and how to draw and fire your pistol with 2 center mass hits in under a couple seconds. The most important thing you will learn is what to expect and do after you've been involved in a defensive shooting. That IMHO is the most important thing you'll learn there.
Or you can take a rifle or shotgun course. FWIW I really enjoyed the shotgun classes.
Lodging is available in Pahrump
There's the Nugget and another hotel closer to the edge of town. That hotel may still have a deal with Front Sight for a discount plus they have free breakfast buffet. The Nugget has a dinner buffet-- 90% crap but there has always been one dish there that is worth the price of admission. Of course you can stay in Vegas but it's about an hour ride to FS from there and you will be tired at the end of the day.
The whole trip can cost you as little as a couple hundred per person plus ammo and getting there and back.
So go, have fun and learn good gun handling and the legal issues around defensive shooting.

Thanks for your speedy replies. I will go ahead and schedule a class. I have a Sig P220 Elite stainless, which I bought for range and home defense. It's pretty heavy for carry but it's what I'll take. I have a chest holster which I don't think they will allow so I need to do a little shopping.

Thanks for the input.

Bill

Get a good kydex outside the waist band holster and several mag carriers. Leather isn't as good for these course. We do one 4 day course every year, amazing value and you will become a better shooter...no doubt.

Get a good, stout belt for that holster.
Crossbreed makes great leather belts
The Wilderness for Heavy duty "Instructor" be;ts

Good advise - thanks all.

OK - I'll admit I'm over my head here.

I don't have a OWB holster, nor do I have magazine pouch.

Front Sight says they would like me to have an Over The Waistband holster without a trigger guard retention device. And magazine pouch for 3 magazines worn on opposite side from gun.

I have quite a few Cabelas points to spend on this but I'm really lost. I have a full size Sig P220 Stainless Elite.

Can someone give me some pointers.

Actually I'm hoping will just say "Here go buy this XXX and you'll be fine."

Last Edited:
It sounds like they try to sell lifetime memberships.

It is without question a major part of Dr. Piazza's marketing strategy. Considering there are plenty of places to train much closer, I can't see myself making a special trip to NV for it, if I was already doing Vegas, yeah sure. Keep an eye on this thread...
PSA: OR/WA tactical firearms training

I have been to a 4 day and a 2 day defensive handgun training class and was pleased with both. If you are a noobie or do not have solid handgun experience I might suggest starting with the 4 day because it goes a little slower. But you can learn from either.

Don't worry about the marketing E-mails or robo-calls. The delete button is your FRIEND!

You can go with your free certificate and do not get "sold" during the class. Personally, I bought a $38.00 lifetime membership off a guy on E-bay, which is much better than the multi-thousands others spent for membership (especially early on.)

FYI - when you schedule your class they will charge you a $50 annual screening/background check fee.

Take into account that FrontSight is located in the desert in Paraump, Nevada. Accordingly, it can be extremely hot or cold at certain times of the year and you should plan accordingly.

My gear considerations include:

1.) vest/coat - for drawing from concealment ( eg 5.11 tactical vest)
2.) tactical pants with lots of pockets (eg. LaPoliceGear.com) - 2 or 3 pairs
3) 2 - 4 long sleeve shirts - for sun or brass protection - remember to allow for layering
4.) 2 - 4 T-shirts or short sleeve shirts (depending on weather) - wicking fabric kind
5.) stiff gun belt, holster and 2 mag holder - see Front Sight website for requirements (Note: I used a OWB Blade-tech holster and double mag carrier and they worked well. See Blade-Tech Holsters )
6.) pistol of choice (and back-up if available - see Front Sight instructions) (Note: I have used a XD9 subcompact and Glock 34. My next trip will be with a VP9)
7.) extra magazines - I took 5 which worked great for tactical reload
8.) boots or tennis shoes - need to be comfortable on feet all day - and appropriate socks
9.) at least 600 - 1000 rds ammo (see class description then add a little. I normally bring 200-300 rounds more than they suggest)
10.) range bag with assorted contents of choice
11.) shooting glasses
12.) sun screen - 30 or 50 SPF (Note: they usually have bottle of this on hand but it is good to bring something that does not sweat off )
13. Chap stick
14.) small pad of paper, pens, pencils for notes during classes
15.) energy bars or snacks
16.) bandana scarf/mask - keeps sun off neck or dust out of face
17.) Gatorade, energy drinks or flavoring powder
18.) Maxpedition Rolly-polly - to hold bullets for tactical magazine reloading (or just use the pockets of your tactical pants)
19.) eye glass holder cord(s)
20.) floppy hat and/or ball cap - something that has a brim
21.) regular sun glasses
22.) Uplula or similar ammo loader - in proper caliber - this is a HIGHLY RECOMMENDED and will save you have having sore fingers over the 4 day period
23.) finger nail clippers and nail file
24.) carabiners (at least 3 smaller (2-3") and then 1 larger (approx 6" and padded if possible) for holding ear protection
25.) electronic ear protection and extra batteries (and ear foam plugs if necessary)

Other useful items:

A.) Shooting gloves (optional)
B.) ammo box or cooler to hold bulk ammo - transfer to Rolly-Polly bag or pants or vest pockets for reloading
C.) lunch cooler bag or ice chest - if not buying lunch on-site
D.) first aid kit - white sports tape, liquid bandage, regular water or sweat proof band aids
E.) gun cleaning & repair kit - for off-site use if needed
F.) flash light and extra batteries (Note: I did not use this in the training but they were good for loading or unloading the vehicle in the dark since it gets very dark ther.)
G.) coats/sweatshirts/fleece jacket (depends on weather) or other cold weather gear like smart wool tops and bottoms
H.) 2 pairs of shorts (if too hot for long pants)
I.) rain coat and pants, if necessary
L.) water bottle or Hydroflask

Note: your gear list may vary :)

Good Attitude

Overall, my class was lighthearted and comfortable. No DI 'boot camp' mentality, and you pretty much only got yelled at for safety violations, of which their thankfully were not many.

I would suggest going with an open mind and a willingness to learn See what they have to offer rather than going in to see what they're doing 'wrong' that you don't agree with.

I have only been shooting a handgun for about 2 years and can definitely see a difference in target photos pre FS vs post FS. But like most things in life practice "makes better."

Hope this helps! Have fun!! Shoot straight and true!!! "The line is set"...!!!!

Great list - thanks! I really consider myself a beginner so looking forward to the 4 day class. We are in Texas right now but heading home to WA with a stop in NV. So I think this will work well for us. We're pulling our 5th wheel trailer and have stayed in Parhump before.

Thanks to all who have made suggestions.

Glad to help.

5th wheel will make things easy.

Another option for your handgun, belt, mag holder is their rental shop. Not my first choice for the handgun though. I think they use 4"XD9s. No problem with the pistol but I'm told they can be like any well used range rental.

I paid for the five day Utah class and a 4 day class .
I have the certificate that never expires.
But I have not been there yet.
I have a friend in California he has life time membership.
He goes every year sometime twice a year.
Pistol Rifle shotgun.
He said that it's a good school and you can keep advance .up and up and up

There is a few theads on here .
That members have talked about there time there
And there are lots of videos on YouTube.
But they don't let you do your own videos .
Of the class

I don't know if you have already been, but I have been twice and taken four courses: 4 day defensive handgun, tactical handgun, and and advanced tactical handgun. I enjoyed them all. They do teach Weaver at the defensive handgun and want you to try it, but I told them upfront I shot Isosceles and was sticking with it. They didn't hassle me about it. I enjoyed the course and it was a good review of basic information and practice. I thought the teaching was very good. The tactical/advanced tactical were really fun and of course got into much more advanced things than the defensive course. I also took a one day situational awareness class that was very good.
I did not find that they tried to sell me anything, but then again I bought a lifetime membership off of ebay for $18. At lunch they did have someone come in and talk about ear protection but it was very soft sell. They had a video running in the background about becoming members, but that was easily ignored.

I'm actually planning on going down in May to take the 4 day practical rifle course, the 4 day tactical shotgun course, and the AR-15 armorer's course.

All of this has been free, so well worth my $18 investment. Also they gave me several hundred dollars in my "bank" to use in the pro shop. All you pay is taxes, so I ended up picking up some BladeTech holsters and mag carriers very cheaply.

As far as his annoying phone calls, I opted out of email notifications and that stopped the phone calls too.

I still get the email but I don't know if I got phone call I don't answer my phone if it doesn't show up on my contacts.
And only return calls that leave a message.

I'm signed up for the 4 day defensive handgun class on Feb 4.

My wonderful daughter bought me 1,000 rounds of commerical 45 acp ammo for the class since I normally shoot my reloaded ammo which is not allowed at the class.

How is that for a fantastic daughter?

Bill

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews