JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well, I've been back from Nevada for several days now, and it's taken me this long to gather my thoughts regarding our trip to the Front Sight firearms training Academy in Pahrump, Nevada. Overall I would rate this training as absolutely superb! The quality of the facilities, instructors, and curriculum made me realize in a very short amount of time just how much I didn't know about pistols, proper handling, and defensive firearm tactics.

11889_10151637403677122_629259432_n_zpsf373e031.jpg

I'm the big guy on the left in this photo. Myself, and three of my friends went down to front sight to attend the four-day defensive handgun course. We practiced everything from proper sight alignment and sight picture, to how to handle pistol malfunctions. We dry-fired, live fired, and practiced drills every day to build our skills.

524834_10151637402307122_567304594_n_zps5678aa35.jpg

The instructors we had for the four days were some of the most professional firearms instructors I have ever encountered. Our lead instructor Dave Goodman was soft-spoken, firm, but fair, and had a great sense of humor. We had several assistant instructors over the four days who guided us, and helped us to overcome some of the mistakes that were inherent in all of us.

On day four of the training, we continued practicing the lessons we had learned over the preceding three days. At one point, the instructors set up steel targets downrange for the man on man steel challenge. Our class size was 44 people, and the instructors wrote our names down on index cards and paired us up at random to shoot at three targets. The first target was a hostage target with a small white flip plate behind the hostage head. The objective was to shoot the flip plate and not hit the hostage target. After hitting the flip plate, you had to engage two more steel targets downrange and drop them before your opponent did. I thought for sure that I was going to be eliminated from this challenge early on, however before I knew it I found myself in the final round. I was paired up against a 19-year-old girl who was an absolute crack shot. I think everybody including myself thought that she would be the one to win this challenge. However, although she was deadly accurate, she wasn't as fast as I was. I defeated her twice due to a double round-robin situation to win the challenge, and take the trophy challenge coin!

298123_10151637405852122_622747300_n_zpsf707dc90.jpg

I simply cannot say enough good things about the training we received over the four days. Although I did not receive my graduate certificate (the malfunction drills killed me), I walked away in four days with more knowledge about the subject matter than I had learned in the previous 40 years. I am looking forward to taking more training at Front Sight in the years to come!

*EDIT* As usual I forgot to add in the most important thing, and that is a HUGE thank you to my friend Mr. Brian Hall, without who's generous present of a Bronze Membership to Front Sight, this whole experience would not have been possible!

Congratulations!!! Front Sight Rocks. I recently passed the Ambassador certification and look forward to start doing dry fire practice here locally. I spent a couple years as a range master and was very pleased to discover how much I didn't know. These guys are absolute master instructors. My only barrier to frequent returns there is the expense of getting there. I have had a Life membership there for years.

Congrats Ironbar! I look forward to attending some time in the near future. I know I have ALLOT to learn. BTW we missed you at the final CERT event. It was a great event and I learned much about how chaotic things may become in an emergency situation.

Ben, while I was down there I wore both my Appleseed shirts. There were students and instructors alike who were familiar with Appleseed, and we chatted about that from time to time. There was also one fellow I met who was not familiar, yet was so intrigued by what I told him about the program, that he took a snapshot of my t-shirt to remind himself to look it up when he got home!

I see you mentioned a 19 year old girl....were there any other women present? Have thought about going at some point in time, but would be more comfortable if other females were there.

I see you mentioned a 19 year old girl....were there any other women present? Have thought about going at some point in time, but would be more comfortable if other females were there.

We had seven women in our class alone. I'd say that the total student body on site was about ¼ female.

I guess someone recently "liked" my post because it popped up on my alerts!

I'm hoping that I can attend another Frontsight class soon due to a major life change! :rolleyes:

Front Sight training is great, just delete all the junk emails!

My wife got her DG last time we went, and we may head down for the 2-Day Advanced Tactical Handgun class before Thanksgiving. I've taken the 4DHG class 4 times now, itchin to find out what's in the next class!

T

Once my "major life change" kicks in (hopefully this week), I'd like to take a look at maybe going down in in March or April of next year for another defensive handgun class or a rifle class.

I want to take the 4-day tactical rifle class. Will probably be down there in March. NWFA members interested in FrontSight access at a discount I might be able to help.

About Frontsight:

What they do, they do very, very well.

What they will teach you is how to draw and fire two rounds from a OWB holster
*They actively discourage IWB holsters, which is what 90% of us will actually use IRL. While I understand and as an instructor agree to an extent (It's a LOT easier to have a ND from IWB than OWB) The focus on OWB is kind of a drag. But that's a minor nit.

They will train you to draw and fire two shots (never more or less) to the thoracic. That's good, but I'd prefer shooting two-four shots. Hammering in on two seems very artificial to me.

They will train you very well in malfunction clearing on a semi-auto.

The class sizes are quite large. Mine had 32 students. The student to instructor ratio was on average, 8 students to one instructor. The ratio isn't bad, but remember that you will be training with people who have never held a gun in their lives before they come to YOUR class. THEY will eat up the lion's share of the instructor's time.

They insist on stock Weaver stance and don't even teach modern isocolese, and will stop you from using a modified weaver, even though "standard" weaver that they teach is IMO a really crappy shooting stance.

They do quite good after-action drills, emergency reloads and tactical reloads as well as semi-auto slide racking. ( A serious issue for women with weak hands).

But bottom line is that this is a cookie-cutter course with overly rigid criteria. The instructors are VERY good at what they teach. And what they teach is hugely useful to a self-taught, or intermediate student looking to hone some skills.

This is a TERRIBLE course for someone who's brand new to guns, because as we all know, learning to operate the gun is a lot less important than knowing WHEN and WHY to operate the gun, to which they dedicate a whopping 2 hours, including the lunch lectures, that's designed to apply to all 50 states. (Ask me about the argument about imminent vs immediate, which is a serious legal difference, totally ignored by front sight.)

I'm not trying to blast Front Sight, I'm a life member and have taken two of their courses. It's well worth the $500 you'll spend on one of their memberships. (travel is another matter and not front sight's problem).

If you're in the PNW, I would suggest that the same amount of money spent at OFA or SFA would be a better investment.

If you're brand new to guns, front sight is a REALLY BAD first exposure. I saw Noobies barely able to control their weapons on the firing line next to me and spent half my off-time walking them through basic gun handling, which front sight does NOT do well.

I've seen Front Sight panned, and other than the utterly sleazy nature of Dr Piazza, the owner, I've never jumped on that bandwagon. (Never EVER buy any membership from FrontSight other than your "used" membership. Every promotion Piazza sends is essentially a scam).

But is this the equivalent of Gunsight or Sig Sauer Academy or SFA? No, it's not.

It's a decent set of basic courses, and at $500 for multiples it's priced to sell. Go there, take the course, take more than one. (They offer m-16, Uzi and practical rifle as well). Just be sure to take it all with a grain of salt. There is a lot wrong with FrontSight's curriculum, especially for people with no experience. It's not bad, but there are a lot better, locally in the NW for about the same money for two courses.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top