JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm very curious about what gear to bring, specifically related to carrying your magazines. I've seen threads and reviews where people are wearing everything from chest rigs, to battle belts, to simply carrying mags in their cargo pockets (which doesn't seem to me like it would facilitate speedy mag changes). At this point I'm leaning strongly toward simple belt-worn kydex AR mag pouches as this would make for the fastest mag changes.

In addition, 30 round or 20 round mags? Which do you prefer and why?

I'm pretty familiar with everything else I'm going to need for this class having taken many other courses at Front Sight over the years. BUT, if you feel there's anything else I should know then please feel free to add it- thanks!

Hi Ironbar, I recall going to 2 of the 4 day rifle classes and a 2 day machine gun class there. Seems like everyone was running 30 round mags, I could see the argument for 20 round mags, as you will be shooting prone, and a 30 round is longer and may have to hold your rifle higher to get off the ground. I personally used a chest rig with 2 open pouches, 1 for empties and 1 for loaded mags. Belt pouches and belt would be uncomfortable, digging into my hips all day.
As you probably already know you will be on your feet alot. Seems like after the first day everyone was dumping their gear( IFAK, multiple optics on their rifles,, way to many farkles on their chest rigs, way to many mags.) try to get lighter, too much weight. Some battery powered optics were failing, some due to not carrying spare batteries. Make sure the rifle and mags that you take run flawlessly. I saw some guys with rifle problems , jams, mags that would not feed. Last time i took the class, they checked trigger weight ( 4 lbs.?) make sure your trigger weight is good to go or you may not get to participate.

Shouldn't there be a list on the website or the itinerary they gave you? https://www.frontsight.com/firearms-training/rifles.asp

"I'm very curious about what gear to bring, specifically related to carrying your magazines."

I've got everything else down pat. Not my first time to the rodeo, but first time taking the Practical Rifle course. That said, I'm thinking I'll leave the chest rigs to the other guys and just stick with a belt mounted AR mag carrier.

I did it 20+ years ago with 2 kydex mag pouches and 20 round magazines. At that time, at least there were no situations/simulations that needed 30 rounds at a pop.
I wore cargo pants with big pockets which were my dump pouch for tactical reloads. As a 4 day pistol grad I was allowed to carry a sidearm on my belt as well, so I had mag carriers for that as well. If you're carrying everything on your belt. I strongly recommend suspenders as well. They may save you an embarrassing moment.

I forgot to mention something that may be useful. I wrapped each of my mags with one wrap of blue electrical tape for identification purposes. when doing emergency reload drills, I could quickley identify MY mag on the ground and not the mag from the person next to me in line. I didnt want to end up with a mag that wasn't mine which may be of questionable reliability.

I used kydex waist mag pouches and ran just fine. you want pouches and pant pockets you can get to easily and quickly. depending on what time of the year you go, chest rigs might be a bit too hot but its about whatever you currently train with and plan to use.

This also applies to mags. Take whatever you use and plan to use. Don't short yourself on 20 round mags if you use 30.

I can tell you from taking the carbine class at Gunsite, there was variety of mag carrying options that worked for different people. I would suggest taking different options that you can configure, especially if they teach loading from a primary pouch and keeping this pouch filled from your additional pouches. Many swapped their rig around during the week as a test to see what works best for them while actually using the equipment. I'm sure this will work their just as well.

Shouldn't there be a list on the website or the itinerary they gave you? https://www.frontsight.com/firearms-training/rifles.asp
From the website:
The AR-15 rifle chambered in 5.56mm is by far the most popular and most appropriate practical rifle for defensive applications. The AR-15 is produced by numerous manufacturers. The trend in the last decade has been to put as much stuff on the rifle as it can possibly hold. Such "stuff" includes vertical foregrips, flashlights, compensators, scopes of all kinds, collapsible stocks, wild tactical slings, etc. Don't get caught up in this hysteria. Instead, keep it simple! Learn to properly shoot a basic rifle with open sights and you will be miles ahead of the guy who purchased all the trinkets.​
Regardless of which rifle you select, it will need a sling. A simple carry strap will suffice, as will the more elaborate "tactical slings".​

Not to be a jerk here but since when is an optic, collapsible stock, slings and flashlights for night shooting hysteria??? The best shooter in our class sported a VFG (having used one in the sandbox apparently) on an SBR with a comp (also on the list). Shooting in different positions you will benefit from an adjustable, collapsible stock and slings are the rifle's holster. Having a sling that easily adjusts for different positions most find helpful. Everyone in the class ran an optic, about 50% magnified (I agree rifleman should master iron sights). I must admit, this paragraph surprised me. This class looks like it spans the gamut of guns including lever, pump, bolt and semi-auto, each having significantly different methods and purpose of use. Fortunately as students we can take what we need from classes we attend.

Have an awesome time and learn lots!!!

I can tell you from taking the carbine class at Gunsite, there was variety of mag carrying options that worked for different people. I would suggest taking different options that you can configure, especially if they teach loading from a primary pouch and keeping this pouch filled from your additional pouches. Many swapped their rig around during the week as a test to see what works best for them while actually using the equipment. I'm sure this will work their just as well.

From the website:
The AR-15 rifle chambered in 5.56mm is by far the most popular and most appropriate practical rifle for defensive applications. The AR-15 is produced by numerous manufacturers. The trend in the last decade has been to put as much stuff on the rifle as it can possibly hold. Such "stuff" includes vertical foregrips, flashlights, compensators, scopes of all kinds, collapsible stocks, wild tactical slings, etc. Don't get caught up in this hysteria. Instead, keep it simple! Learn to properly shoot a basic rifle with open sights and you will be miles ahead of the guy who purchased all the trinkets.​
Regardless of which rifle you select, it will need a sling. A simple carry strap will suffice, as will the more elaborate "tactical slings".​

Not to be a jerk here but since when is an optic, collapsible stock, slings and flashlights for night shooting hysteria??? The best shooter in our class sported a VFG (having used one in the sandbox apparently) on an SBR with a comp (also on the list). Shooting in different positions you will benefit from an adjustable, collapsible stock and slings are the rifle's holster. Having a sling that easily adjusts for different positions most find helpful. Everyone in the class ran an optic, about 50% magnified (I agree rifleman should master iron sights). I must admit, this paragraph surprised me. This class looks like it spans the gamut of guns including lever, pump, bolt and semi-auto, each having significantly different methods and purpose of use. Fortunately as students we can take what we need from classes we attend.

Have an awesome time and learn lots!!!
Just to clarify, again, I was basically seeking input on the mag pouch, chest rig options and what works for people. I'm actually quite familiar with my AR platform rifles, and I was (or maybe still am, we'll see) an Orange Hat instructor for Project Appleseed. The format for the Practical Rifle class is quite similar to the Defensive handgun class at Front Sight.

From other sources I've been told that a simple belt mounted pouch with easy access will provide the fastest mag changes, AND I don't need to carry more than three for the class. So, I think I've got that part figured out. Now I just need to get a longer sling and I'll be good to go.

When I took the course, I used a kydex mag holder on my belt. I'm tall and not overweight, so belt mounted accessories work for me. I don't remember the class as being as magazine-change intensive as the four day pistol courses, where I carried two on the belt and extra ammo in a pocket.

The fact that you are thinking about it now will make you better prepared with gear than half the class.

Also, you didn't ask but a single point sling works great for the class (and real world situations)

When I took the course, I used a kydex mag holder on my belt. I'm tall and not overweight, so belt mounted accessories work for me. I don't remember the class as being as magazine-change intensive as the four day pistol courses, where I carried two on the belt and extra ammo in a pocket.

The fact that you are thinking about it now will make you better prepared with gear than half the class.

Also, you didn't ask but a single point sling works great for the class (and real world situations)
THANK you! I was seriously looking at the kydex pouches from Blade tech since I like my other Blade Tech holsters & pouches so much. Would you recommend a double pouch (side-by-side) or two single pouches? Their double pouch seemed to me like it would put too much weight in a small area on the belt as opposed to the two singles which would spread the weight out.

Also, did you use 20 round mags or 30 round?

I used 30 round Magpul mags, because I have a lot of them. I never felt like I was low on ammo. 20 round mags would have been fine.

In the class with me were a few guys with bolt action rifles of the 308 and 30/06 flavors. With four rounds in the gun, they did fine in the course. But They were constantly thumbing rounds in.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top