JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I always keep beans and rice around, Usually buy it in 20, and 25 pound sacks. Canned refried beans have a "best by" date of 2-3 years, If I remember correctly. Honestly, don't see the advantage of freeze dried.

Hmmm,...
Take dried beans and soak 6-8 hrs.
Cook 2-4 hours, depending on bean type and age.
Mash, add spices, fat/oil, salt etc.
Dehydrate.

Wait-a-damn-minute!!!!!

Why not just store the dried beans?

I always keep beans and rice around, Usually buy it in 20, and 25 pound sacks. Canned refried beans have a "best by" date of 2-3 years, If I remember correctly. Honestly, don't see the advantage of freeze dried.
Perhaps weight, space and shelf life.. it's not real hard to add water.

dried beans if stored properly (sealed container, in a cool and dry place) last a very long time. 25 pounds last me 6 months at least, then I rotate in new ones, store them in gallon freezer bags, about 4-5 pounds per bag. Don't usually use them to make refritos. cook them up with a bit of garlic and salt, maybe some Lawrys taco seasoning. make up some nice sticky white rice, serve up the beans over the rice topped with grated cheese and a little salsa. Good eating!

I have seen dehydrated refried beans, in #10? cans at Cash and Carry grocers, it is sold to Mexican restaurants. Saves lots of effort and fuel to prepare. I did not buy it as I am bugging in and see no need for it.
BTW a pressure cooker will cut cook times for beans down to 30-40 minutes, it will also tenderize tough meat, a must have item!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top