JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I can't remember ever seeing guns in our local freds. BB guns ?
I delivered from there DC to stores for yrs. Only thing freds was good for was there building supply's which ended 25 yrs ago . Otherwise there way over priced

One within driving distance of us has firearms. Most are long guns of pretty standard fare, but the handguns are much more limited in options. I only bought one firearm there as the price was right and it was for kind of a wacky F1 SBS project anyway. Beyond that, I know we've picked up cleaning supplies for guns there, but that is about it.

I remember back in the early 90s, they had (at least the one where we lived) all types of firearms, then just long guns, then none, then in the 2000s back to having them. (shrug) So, maybe it will follow the same course.

They've only been selling Guns and Ammunition for a couple of years in WA. It's been very much an "on again" " off again" thing for them. I've been told it was up to the Local Manager and not a Store Wide policy. It was a place to do a little window shopping. But, certainly Not a Big loss.

Almost bought a KSG at the Oregon CIty FM last Christmas time, but wanted the tan one and all they has was black. The price wasn't out of line - just over $800.

If it were true (remodeling). That would be welcome news.

OK, Ok, ok.....I don't KNOW for sure that they're closing up. Though, it does look like it.

Aloha, Mark

It was covered on the news a month or so ago that the 82nd store was closing for good.

milk, cheese, bread, soda, Glock 19, bacon, toilet plunger, ice cream....

wife made me stop shopping at Freddys for some reason anyways....

Last Edited:
We don't have Fred Meyer's here, but With WalMart and Bi-Mart (both in Clarkston anyways) out of the game...
...that leaves our city of 32,000 with only; Tri-State, Sportsman's Warehouse, North40 and 10 other sizable independent local gun shops that are more than happy and capable to take up the slack (13 if I'm up for a 30 min. drive on the Idaho side of the river or 15 if willing cross into occupied Washington).

The store in Scappoose is closing their gun counter in May and then they are going to box everything up and most likely they are going to send the stuff to Klamath Falls from what I was told by an employee.

Huh. FM is remodeling many of their stores this year. Maybe it's one of them.

Nope, it's gone for good. It was the red headed step child of the chain for decades. Since it was located in Portland's arm pit, it had a lot of theft issues and wasn't very profitable.

I've lived around Portland for 50 years. Fred Meyer's was a good neighborhood resource for most of my childhood. Always had what you needed. Always a little spendy. The mega stores they have today are not how it used to be. Sorry to see what was once a community business and resource go so corporate. Things are a changin'. Not for the better in my view.

The gun market is simply 'transitioning' again - anyone remember when Sears & Monkey Wards sold guns? And how about some of the larger 'drug stores' and Hardware stores too?
I think FM simply got back into it with too little too late and figured the buying craze would carry them but the drop in the market hit them hard and along with the controversy over the age issue have decided to dump gun sales for good.
I doubt we will ever see the variety of retail stores selling guns again and what direction the market will take is anyone's guess.

Kinda sad that they are getting out of the firearms business. For a while
It was almost the perfect store for men, selling alcohol, tobacco and firearms...

Now where can you go and buy a shotgun, shells then hunt frozen turkeys, all under one roof... :eek:

The gun market is simply 'transitioning' again - anyone remember when Sears & Monkey Wards sold guns? And how about some of the larger 'drug stores' and Hardware stores too?
I think FM simply got back into it with too little too late and figured the buying craze would carry them but the drop in the market hit them hard and along with the controversy over the age issue have decided to dump gun sales for good.
I doubt we will ever see the variety of retail stores selling guns again and what direction the market will take is anyone's guess.

One of the guns I wish I still had was bought at a Wards, S&W 59. Store got out due to a guy walking up, asking to see a gun, put a round in it and killed himself in front of all. So they closed out guns at a good deal.
As for Fred's I say fine with me. I like the local one here for food. I have said from the start if they want to get all PC and make up rules to feel good I would rather see them just get out. All the people who shoot are still going to shoot. Guns have been making a HUGE comeback due to the left and crime. CC is at an all time high. The only dark I see now is the gun owners who can't wait to vote away their rights. There is going to be no shortage of guns. Especially now with all the places that let you order one up on line to send to a dealer of your choice. FFL's can make money off this will no inventory to pay for.

I don't think Fred Meyers is a big loss and honestly would rather buy from a mom and pop store than a grocery store.

the bigger picture though is what this says of the anti gun culture growing and vilifying guns and gun rights, for every store that raises the buying age policy or stops selling guns altogether, their cause gains a momentum.

My local FM has a gun counter. Never bought a gun there, but ammo I've bought regularly - when it's on sale, it's a decent price. But certainly not highly competitive.

I don't think Fred Meyers is a big loss and honestly would rather buy from a mom and pop store than a grocery store.

the bigger picture though is what this says of the anti gun culture growing and vilifying guns and gun rights, for every store that raises the buying age policy or stops selling guns altogether, their cause gains a momentum.

We have a large percentage of the gun owning public taking care of the anti gun momentum. The "we need common sense laws " crowd. They seem to have their head firmly in the ground and refuse to look and see what this has done for decades. Just keep saying we need to compromise. Problem of course is the compromise only goes one way, anti gun.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA

New Resource Reviews