JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looks like these are getting ready to hit the market. I for one plan on buying one. It looks as if the trimming device is similar to the Giraud trimmer. $200 is a lot to invest, but my time is expensive too and case trimming takes up too much of it the way I am doing it. Anyone had a sneak peak at one of these and know how well they work?

628405.jpg

Bump to an old thread.

I picked up one of these today to clear up bench space since I was using two devices to trim, then chamfer and debur.

So far I have trimmed 18~ .308 cases and about 60 .223 cases.
For the first time it took me 4 minutes 30 seconds to swap from one caliber to the next. That is a complete from taking parts out, putting them away and then getting what collet and shoulder bushing I needed for the .223 and having the first piece of .223 brass trimmed to 1.750".

If you are limited on space I would suggest this tool.

If you like a clean bench without shavings... I would say look for something else. I keep a little bowl under mine and it collects 75% of the shavings.

This unit is really easy to use. Once you get the body bushing tight enough where it's snug around a case it only takes a little finger pressure to get the case trimmed. Avoid allowing the case to spin in the bushing of course.

This unit is heavy. It is also mildly loud because it's gear driven and when you apply some pressure to the chamfer or deburr head it gets a little quieter.

Photo Jun 23, 3 14 53 PM.jpg
Above showing the .308 brass when I had 3 left.

Video of being used:
Instagram video by T. King • Jun 24, 2016 at 4:51am UTC (https://www.instagram.com/p/BHBkJwRAlDp)

As of this writings:
Amazon.com: $150
Cabelas: $169
Sportsman Warehouse: $229

I purchased one of the TWO in Oregon at Cabelas.

As an update:

So far I have processed a total of ~200 pieces of .223 brass and I just did a string of about 120 without the physical issues I had previously with my other combination. Hands would cramp and bad shoulders made turning the trimmer a pain.

All of those issues are gone now. My fingers are a little tired (index and thumb on right hand) from holding brass but nowhere near the previous.

It took about 45 minutes for the motor to start warming up where I could feel some radiating heat coming from it. The drone of the gearbox you get used to... maybe next time I'll don on some headphones and worship out.

Still recommend the prep center. Worth the investment. Not saying what I used to have was crap... see above.

i don't see anything that indicates the cutter is anything like a giraud. looks like just another trimmer that spaces off the cartridge shoulder.

lyman prep center looks like a better deal for half the price, and you get 5 stations instead of 3.

Amazon.com: Lyman Case Prep Xpress (115-Volt): Sports & Outdoors

for trimming, i'd just chuck up a WFT into a hand drill.
http://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/wft.html
I have both the FA Case Prep and Trimmer and a Lyman unit and much prefer the Frankford Arsenal unit. I leave mine set up for .223 Rem cases since I process far more of those than all other cartridges combined. I leave the Lyman set up for large primer cases. The large primer cases get trimmed manually with my old Forster trimmer.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top