JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I love my PVS-14 and it is definitely a huge advantage.

In the end it really comes down to application. The OP discussed using this shotgun as a home defense tool. In that application a light makes a lot of sense. Destroying your night vision has less effect in that situation then on a solider on a night patrol who will likely have to continue on for a significant period after an engagement. I don't expect to have prolonged drawn out full night gun battles in my home making the ability to properly identify the target a higher priority to me than the ability to retain night vision after the encounter is over. Just my .02 obviously but also keep in mind You don't have to use the light that is mounted to your shotgun but you can never use the light that isn't mounted to it.

Kid in the house still and no way to keep this thing locked and easily unlocked yet so I'd toss this to my wife with a couple boxes of 0000 buckshot and my extra handgun in the safe then head out into the house with my 1911.

I love my PVS-14 and it is definitely a huge advantage.

In the end it really comes down to application. The OP discussed using this shotgun as a home defense tool. In that application a light makes a lot of sense. Destroying your night vision has less effect in that situation then on a solider on a night patrol who will likely have to continue on for a significant period after an engagement. I don't expect to have prolonged drawn out full night gun battles in my home making the ability to properly identify the target a higher priority to me than the ability to retain night vision after the encounter is over. Just my .02 obviously but also keep in mind You don't have to use the light that is mounted to your shotgun but you can never use the light that isn't mounted to it.
Good points.......but I don't pull a gun without already identifying a target. My 3 Akbash take care of any threat in the house......I am simply back up and the cleaner. We have so much incident light in most of our homes I feel lights are unnecessary. Off course, I live 9 miles outside of my town of 5000, if someone can get through 500 lbs of Akbash, and a 1/4 mile driveway with 2 gates he is either one of my kids or really good. They strung fox all over the yard last night that must have been interested in my chickens.

Kid in the house still and no way to keep this thing locked and easily unlocked yet so I'd toss this to my wife with a couple boxes of 0000 buckshot and my extra handgun in the safe then head out into the house with my 1911.
Get a dog........by far the best self defense.....even a little noisy one works great. My dogs are not so noisy, they prefer to catch the culprit to chasing him away. They treed an unknown Mexican worker last year in my orchard. They had not been properly introduced.

Good points.......but I don't pull a gun without already identifying a target. My 3 Akbash take care of any threat in the house......I am simply back up and the cleaner. We have so much incident light in most of our homes I feel lights are unnecessary. Off course, I live 9 miles outside of my town of 5000, if someone can get through 500 lbs of Akbash, and a 1/4 mile driveway with 2 gates he is either one of my kids or really good. They strung fox all over the yard last night that must have been interested in my chickens.

I have a 70lb Giant Schnauzer and definitely has a good scary deep bark I love the working breeds. Its definitely hard to be the Tibetan mastiff a friend had that beast snaps the necks on yotes and then just leaves them I think its a warning to the other yotes.

A sling and your done. I have a quick adjust 2 point on the one I keep behind the seat. You can find them on amazon for $20 or you can spend the big bucks and get a Mag Pul.

A sling and your done. I have a quick adjust 2 point on the one I keep behind the seat. You can find them on amazon for $20 or you can spend the big bucks and get a Mag Pul.

I looked though my slings and just didn't like any of them for one reason or another.

BUT,

I bought a couple different colors of para cord and the ends to make a sling with a couple years ago but just never got around to making one - till now:).

I have some free time the next couple weekends and will have to figure out what kind of weave I want to use but once it is done I will be putting it on this one.

I'll post pics when it's done.

Until then this is how it sits for you jokers that thought it needed to have some shells in it:p

IMG_1938.JPG

As far as pump shot guns go. You can't beat an 870. I have 2. 1 is my turkey gun with a 20" barrel with a turkey choke. Through the years I have own a half dozen of them and might get another.

I looked though my slings and just didn't like any of them for one reason or another.

BUT,

I bought a couple different colors of para cord and the ends to make a sling with a couple years ago but just never got around to making one - till now:).

I have some free time the next couple weekends and will have to figure out what kind of weave I want to use but once it is done I will be putting it on this one.

I'll post pics when it's done.

Until then this is how it sits for you jokers that thought it needed to have some shells in it:p

View attachment 388513

I really like those sights on that model - making me think I'd like to have similar sights on mine.

Very nice 870. The capacity will come in handy if handy is neccesary. I must say that I like long gun mounted flashlights-I also like discussion about appropriate time to use them and when they make you an easy target. The sights are cool!

RANGE REPORT:

Went out to a pit and set a regular water bottle (that was already there on the ground) against a berm 35yards or so away.

Loaded it with 3 rifled slugs and took aim at the bottle...

First shot was dead on and obliterated that bottle. Second shot rendered it unrecognizable.

As if I didn't already love this gun, now I know it is stupid accurate with the rifle sights.

Bird shot and buck shot all did as expected, loaded from the tube mag or dropped in the chamber one at a time.

Now to save up for a shot lock and something to secure it in the vehicles:cool:

I have to admit that thing did pretty well at shooting potatoes out of the sky as well.

Didn't know potatoes could fly until last Sunday but dang those things can go crazy!! :p:D

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top