JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I got a house bought in Idaho, I want to take over the NFA items I have permanently.

One question is what do I put for the "from" date? I assume something like "as soon as approved"?

I have more items than will fit on the form, should I fill out multiple forms or should I make an addendum and just submit one?

Any idea how long it typically takes for approval?

Any issues with the trust that owns them having a Washington address while they permanently live with a trustee in Idaho? (I eventually will move the trust, however I have pending items that I need to pick up and will still be a Washington resident with a Washington drivers license even though I am living in Idaho)

I have sent an email to my attorney and did not get a response, I basically at this point just want to get the forms in the mail so I can start the wait but I want to avoid mistakes obviously

If you can't fit them all on one, new forms are required.

Used to be about 1 month turnaround, no idea now with the massive NFA form clusterbubblegum currently happening.

The From/To should be the dates in transit on which you plan to move the items.

People share NFA across state lines with Trusts all the time. It shouldn't be an issue.

If you can't fit them all on one, new forms are required.

Used to be about 1 month turnaround, no idea now with the massive NFA form clusterbubblegum currently happening.

The From/To should be the dates in transit on which you plan to move the items.

People share NFA across state lines with Trusts all the time. It shouldn't be an issue.

I plan to move them the day the transfer is approved, Since I dont know how long it will take for approval that was kind of my question. Do I put todays date and wait for approval? Do I put a date 6 weeks out in the future? 6 months? Even though I am ready to move them today if it was approved?

I understand that, however I still at at the mercy of approval for transfer date. You stated put the date a few months to a year. Why would I do that if they will not be returned?

Put todays date for the start date and a year minus a day from now for the end date. If its a permanent move still put the dates. They dont care when you move it as long as its within those dates. Dont put too much thought into it. They just want the blanks filled in. Every 5320.20 Ive done including permanent moves have taken 2-4 weeks at the most.

I submitted one about a month ago and it was approved in approximately 3 weeks. I was concerned that it would get caught in some kind of "41F Backlog Vortex" but I think a different section handles the 5320-20s.

Negative... Nothing is that easy with these guys.

Section b of the instructions on the form:

b. The registered owner of NFA firearm(s) shall complete two copies of ATF Form 5320.20 and forward the forms to the Director, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, 244 Needy Road, Martinsburg, WV 25405 (Attention: NFA Branch).​

Section b of the instructions on the form:

b. The registered owner of NFA firearm(s) shall complete two copies of ATF Form 5320.20 and forward the forms to the Director, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, 244 Needy Road, Martinsburg, WV 25405 (Attention: NFA Branch).​

That must be page 2 fine print...

I have more items than will fit on the form, should I fill out multiple forms or should I make an addendum and just submit one?
Iron, I apologize for not seeing this thread earlier. On ATF forms that allow for more than one item you can do an attachment. In the boxes on the form you write "See Attachment #1" then make a separate sheet with the same information and label it "Attachment #1." We do it all the time with Form 3s.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top