JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am a fan of sardines too. Almonds and jerky and a Kind Bar for snacks. I bring Mountain House, one or two pouchs even for day hunts. I have an MSR Stove and with 10 ounces or less of water from my hydration bladder or a filter I or my son will cook a hot meal. A hot meal makes a great break and I always feel more energized after it.

There are times we can't or don't cook but we cook more often than we don't. I recommend it.

I carry a small pack stove, and a mountain house meal with a coffee packet.
There is nothing better on a cold wet mountain than a hot meal and hot coffee.
Snacks usually jerky, trailmix, and snickers w/ almonds.

After all that sodium from the mountain house meals I get a horrible round of farts that last at least into the next day or more

If I am going through the motion of boiling water I'll stay away from freeze dried meals and go with dried soup mixes. Far less sodium. Can always add stuff like game or other meat to it too. Done more than a few poached grouse breasts that way. Good stuff!
My favorite cold meal on the hunt is P&J sammies and some powdered lemonade mixed up to wash it down.

I don't like to load up the pack w/a lot of munchies so I go for bang for the buck like Snickers bars (or energy bars of some kind), nuts, dried fruit(I like mangoes)/meat (jerky) and water. I've been known to pack peanut butter n jelly sandwiches, doesn't matter how smashed up they get they still eat fine.

When I was a kid my dad was old school and always said in order to be successful you gotta hunt (or fish) hungry, there was never more than an apple and a few saltines, if I was lucky I might find a chunk of cheese.

Instant coffee, fruit and veg.
Dry oats are gross, but a handful of those and a bit of water and you're good again.
Sounds cliche, but I recommend learning what is edible in the immediate area of your camp and hunting ground. An ounce of food found in the field is worth a pound carried in terms of spent energy.
Also slingshots for small edible varmints. Won't scare off larger prey.

I don't really hunt, but I will spend a whole day on the water...
Cliff bars or any sort of snack bar with high protein value is a good choice. Beef jerkey or some sort of meat preserve. A piece of fruit like apples or oranges, but dried fruit is better IMO. A candy bar of some sort, usually one with nuts in it.
At least two liters of water and a flask of spirits. A shot of whiskey does wonders at times. ;)

My dad and I make a lot of dehydrated fruits. Plums, pears and apples are great. The plums are better if they're quartered and the pears are best sliced and are like eating candy.

For camp, Gorp (what you guys call trail mix), eggs, parmesan cheese, black beans in a can, Tapatio and for meat, pepperoni, salami or jägtwurst (what I think you guys call Landjäger). This Italian instant espresso from a jar for coffee, I think it's something original like "Amico". I'll bring ~2 gallons of water, make up the rest with my filter. I'll have a single malt or warm IPA in the car. Last time I camped while hunting, they tasted like crap so didn't drink. Eating's a nuisance when hunting but if I just survived off my fat, I'd go toxic with lipidosis.
For days out tracking, I think they're called cliff bars (they all taste the same to me) and will eat 2 in 4-8 hours, plus ~ a quart of water. And motrin. I'll take 4 motrin with each energy bar.
Bonus if I'm in the coastal range -- all the salaal berries I can find.
[edit] if you're hunting in the coastal range, you can find numerous clusters of chanterelles, sparassis (cauliflower mushrooms) or sulfur shelf mushrooms. I haven't encountered puff balls or morels - those I find in the western cascade foothills where there's abundant oak.
There's two types of psilocybin I've come across as well as amanita muscaria. Point being, if you think you're going to harvest some of your food, be sure you know your stuff.

Last Edited:
water, lunchables, deer pepperoni, pop tarts, zone bars, candy, chewing tobacco(this year will be zyn pouches) and whiskey(back at camp when guns are put away after dark)

Food whilst hunting or a long hike? Different things over the years: Beef jerky, pemmican, protein bars, various forms of trail mix, mixed nuts, and tinned sardines in mustard sauce being the staples.

I'm not a fan of sweets, but one of the brothers has a taste for a particular, frankly crappy, prepackaged peanut butter cookie. I have to admit they tasted like manna from heaven towards the end of a particularly grueling time afield. :p

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top