JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Only what the prey would want to eat, and leave an apple core trail back to where you started. Protein in liquid form or head back to camp so you don't reek up the place.

Kodiak Protein flapjacks. I blend a banana into the mix and bring along a little bit of peanut butter. Cheese for quick fats, dried mango for quick sugars. If I have a pack the food goes in a Tupperware container, if I'm going light I wrap the food in a paper towel or handkerchief to reduce noise when eating.

Greetings, all!

I wanted to hear from people what sort of snacks and food they carry with them while big game hunting. If you're out for 12-14 hour days during elk season and covering terrain, you've got to eat! I am hoping for advice about specific foods in relation to things like minimizing scent, ease of consumption, etc. I am also curious to hear about how people package their food, like how to avoid the crinkle of a ziplock bag.

Thanks!
Josh
Calories are what matter, I know one extreme hiker that eats double stuff oreos, not healthy but provides the fuel for hard hikes for a couple of weeks, I like toasted bread with bacon, peanut butter, and honey, they have kept for 3 weeks unrefrigerated and provide lots of calories.

Greetings, all!

I wanted to hear from people what sort of snacks and food they carry with them while big game hunting. If you're out for 12-14 hour days during elk season and covering terrain, you've got to eat! I am hoping for advice about specific foods in relation to things like minimizing scent, ease of consumption, etc. I am also curious to hear about how people package their food, like how to avoid the crinkle of a ziplock bag.

Thanks!
Josh
Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and a big thermos of black coffee.....food of the gods.

Last Edited:
My rule, dinners aside, is to pack shelf-stable foods that won't melt in the heat; e.g., no chocolate. It's helpful for me, as I can pack together 20 days of meals in one sitting, store them in the garage, and then simply pull from them throughout the season as I go out into the field.

For days when I expect to return to camp by early afternoon, it's granola bars, those little individual pouches of applesauce that kids eat, trail mix (without chocolate), jerky, and dehydrated fruit. If I think I'll be out all day, I toss in a can of sardines, crackers, and a dried fruit bar. I always start the day with a small thermos of coffee, which I make the night before.

It's the same regiment every day, all season long. But I splurge on dinners, unless weight concerns absolutely prohibits it.

Some PB&Js, assorted candy bars, protein bars, soft granola bars, water, dried mango, dried peaches, jerky, and water. Lasts me a good day or so depending on how much I bring. When I open a candy or granola bar I usually open it under my shirt of a coat to keep noise down.

All kidding aside, my main nutritional items that were in my pack years ago was trail mix and an apple. Now I'm not talkin about no little tiny pack of Trail Mix, I'm talking Costco sized.

I don't hunt. But, speaking of "trail mix".

Try making your own?

I went to WINCO last night and bought a variety of my favorite nuts, dried fruits, etc. from the bulk food containers. Keep them separated for now and mark the item code on the twisty tie. After, you paid for the items.....place them into a bag, shake a bit and viola! Trail mix. Made to your special tastes,

Aloha, Mark

When I was a kid my dad was old school and always said in order to be successful you gotta hunt (or fish) hungry, there was never more than an apple and a few saltines, if I was lucky I might find a chunk of cheese.
That might make for a lighter pack but if you happen to "misplace" your vehicle - AKA:get lost - you would certainly be without the much talked about paddle. My recommendation is that you take at least one extra days worth of good food and water. But remember that you DON'T get into that food until you have to. :)

Apples, jerky, water, etc
Camp food? All pre made by wife. Just warm it up. Eat like a king! Years ago. Like 1987. Maury unit. Dad pulled out a box of lobster tails. 12 of them. His client shipped them from the east coast. Damn!!!!!! Food of any decent taste in the mountains is awesome. But lobster tails? Holy crap!!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top