Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Donating your spoils to..charity? Food banks?

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by darkminstrel, Nov 15, 2011.

1. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

Has anyone around here done such a thing? I'm curious about being able to help out some needy folks with some fresh meat. Though I have to admit I'm dubious about any agency of the state or city taking meat not processed according to some set of draconian rules-of-oversight.

2. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Can't do it. It's not USDA inspected

3. darkminstrel

4. Grunwald

Grunwald Out of that nut job colony of Seattle, WA Well-Known Member

USDA has no authority over meats that are sold/consumed with the state harvested.

5. sneakboxer

sneakboxer NW OR Active Member

6. theficklefinger

theficklefinger Eugene New Member

Donating your kill, pretty much ends any argument that you hunt for ethical reasons, to feed the family, etc...it just means you want to kill an animal.

So be it, I just wish you guys would own up to your intentions.

7. sneakboxer

sneakboxer NW OR Active Member

My intentions were to help a land owner control his deer population. I did just that. When my freezer was full i helped out the local community and the farmer. Deer are very plentiful in the southeast. You can legally kill/harvest/take 3 a DAY in some places. I rather get one with my Ruger than with my Nissan.

8. darkminstrel

My intentions are to help people who need it. I was homeless for 3 years and have a pretty clear perspective on how it is to be there and how difficult it is to rise up. I can't help monetarily so I'm going to donate food.

9. 23Bandit

23Bandit Aloha, OR Active Member

I donated my bear to charity a few years back. I always bought a bear tag "just in case", and I ended up getting one during deer season. I don't like bear meat, so I donated at the butcher shop I used to go to. I don't know if they all do that, but that one did. That was a lot of work for an expensive rug, so I stopped buying bear tags after that.

Two years ago I donated my deer to an unemployed friend in need. I wasn't around to butcher it, but four guys from my hunting party donated their time to butcher it up for him.

I feel nothing but joy knowing that I helped people out in need. I got to spend time out in the woods hunting, and the meat ended up going to two very good causes. Both were win win situations in my opinion.

Happy Holidays Everyone!!

Mutoman and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Mutoman

Mutoman North Bend Active Member

I think this is a great idea and have encouraged other to do this. For those who really like to hunt, but cannot possibly eat all of the animals they kill (meat in the freezer only keeps so long), this is a great way to not waste their successes!