JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
something like that, its kind of BS they expect us to turn in the head but then make it illegal to take one under 1 year without any way to identify the age in the field...

Im no wildlife biologist but maybe if the bear is solo its at least a year old... how old are they when they leave the family?
I believe this would be closest. If I remember right, mom get tired of the cubs at about 2 years when she's ready to breed againo_O

Hey Koda you don't have to "turn in the head". You just have to have it checked by ODFW at a check station or office. They will pull a tooth, send it to the labs to count the rings, and then send you a post card telling you how old the bear was.

Last bear I killed was 8. Guy at check station estimated him to be about 225-250 judging by head, pelt, and paws. That bears snout and ears were all torn up, and he had a big bare spot around the underside of his neck. The ODFW worker said he probably had been caught in a snare at some point, and by the looks of his snout and ears that he was a brawler, and that I might have just killed the king of the hill. I knew right away when I saw him that he was a big adult bear. I didn't know it was a male until after I got to him but I watched him for a little bit to see if any little ones were around and determined that he was sans cubs.

One way to field judge bears is by ears and legs. If the ears look big on the head, and legs are long and skinny, possibly a juvenile. Big, older bear's ears will look proportionate to their head, and because their bellies hang lower, and they are more muscular, their legs will look shorter and stockier.

If spring hunting, females will emerge from den with cubs if she had them. They will be bigger come fall, but still hanging close to mama so if the bear isn't spooked, make sure your paying attention to what's following that bear, or if she looks like she may be waiting for others to catch up before you pull the trigger.

Hey Koda you don't have to "turn in the head". You just have to have it checked by ODFW at a check station or office. They will pull a tooth, send it to the labs to count the rings, and then send you a post card telling you how old the bear was.

Last bear I killed was 8. Guy at check station estimated him to be about 225-250 judging by head, pelt, and paws. That bears snout and ears were all torn up, and he had a big bare spot around the underside of his neck. The ODFW worker said he probably had been caught in a snare at some point, and by the looks of his snout and ears that he was a brawler, and that I might have just killed the king of the hill. I knew right away when I saw him that he was a big adult bear. I didn't know it was a male until after I got to him but I watched him for a little bit to see if any little ones were around and determined that he was sans cubs.

One way to field judge bears is by ears and legs. If the ears look big on the head, and legs are long and skinny, possibly a juvenile. Big, older bear's ears will look proportionate to their head, and because their bellies hang lower, and they are more muscular, their legs will look shorter and stockier.

If spring hunting, females will emerge from den with cubs if she had them. They will be bigger come fall, but still hanging close to mama so if the bear isn't spooked, make sure your paying attention to what's following that bear, or if she looks like she may be waiting for others to catch up before you pull the trigger.

this is a good post, thanks for the reply. I have a bear hanging around one of my trail cams that might match your description of a juvenile. I was thinking of hunting him, but if its really that small will let him go. I doubt Id connect with it anyways, I like the idea of observing for other bears before pulling the trigger too.

doesn't look very big...
MFDC0124_copy-001.jpg

He looks to be a decent size bear. They won't start getting real heavy till October, November after they start doing some serious eating for winter.
Hard to tell by the angle but he looks to have some thickness to his legs, and ears aren't huge compared to his head. He just looks skinny. I'd say possibly between 3-6 years old. I'd take that bear.

this is a good post, thanks for the reply. I have a bear hanging around one of my trail cams that might match your description of a juvenile. I was thinking of hunting him, but if its really that small will let him go. I doubt Id connect with it anyways, I like the idea of observing for other bears before pulling the trigger too.
If you put a height marker of some kind to compare it to when it walks by you can get an idea of its size.
doesn't look very big...
View attachment 309806

Koda, the bear in your pic is an adult and it looks like a young 3 year old (or so) male judging from his shoulder stance.
Females tend to sit lower in the rear giving them an almost hamster like look in my opinion.
That bear you have there is a good bear buddy. As BaggerRyder said, take him!

Koda, the bear in your pic is an adult and it looks like a young 3 year old (or so) male judging from his shoulder stance.
Females tend to sit lower in the rear giving them an almost hamster like look in my opinion.
That bear you have there is a good bear buddy. As BaggerRyder said, take him!

good to know, I don't normally hunt bears but added a bear tag to my fall hunting here my camera is set up where we deer and elk hunt, he is hanging around. I dont normally hunt bears so if I see him it will be blind luck.

doesn't look very big...
View attachment 309806

That looks like some mighty fine bear stew on the paw....;)

Brought a large bear roast to a barbecue once, everybody said yuck not me!

It was gone in five minutes once done and wile the burgers were left drying out on the grill someone said do you have anymore of that.
Silver Hand

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top